Differential breather routing?

jesusgatos

Explorer
BTW Jesse I didn't read all of that SS thread but those valves that Moroso sells and that you were asking about are GM Air Injection check valves for the air pump. A friend of mine had a set of those Moroso extractors on the header collectors on a warmed-up BBC. They would pull oil out of the engine at a high enough rate that he needed to frequently top off the crankcase.
Your LAPS should have them for a lot less than what Moroso wants for them.
Thanks for the info, but I decided to go with one of these Racor CCV units, and then route the crankcase breather to the intake snorkel.

jesusgatos

Explorer
Personally, I would never route any breathers directly into the air filter box/housing. At least, not on any of my vehicles. Take a look at that CCV unit I posted a link to. I think I'm going to make a manifold and route all my breathers into that, along with the crankcase breather (obviously, I won't plumb the drain line back to the oilpan). You could make some type of simple catch-can pretty easily, and THEN route the breathers to the intake.

jesusgatos

Explorer
Oh, just because there's always the possibility that oil could get pushed up through the breather and into the the intake. That's why I suggested incorporating a catch-can of some type into the breather system if you want to route the breathers to the intake.

jesusgatos

Explorer
I probably would if I was only dumping engine oil into it, but that doesn't sound like such a good idea if I route all the breathers to the CCV. I've also had several people tell me that it's not to recapture the oil from the crankcase breather, saying that it's pretty dirty. Haven't really looked into that yet, so I'm not sure why. I'm also going to be using one of these Never-Lo systems, so I'm not too concerned about that little bit of wasted oil.

Guess I'd agree with you about pumping oil into a diesel engine. This is the first diesel truck I've built. I was just thinking about all the times I've seen oil leaking out of breathers. Most often after a flop/roll, but once because my ARB blew a seal and pressurized the axle-housing.

Billhilly

Adventurer
Don't think any one has mentioned these yet. I was going to run breathers up the fire wall etc, but figured these were far simpler. Have them on the diff's, TC, and transmission. Easy to plumb up, no chance of water getting in etc. Oh, on the diffs I ran a short tube up to the chassis then mounted the bellows. Figured the tube would be tougher than having the bellows directly on the diffs.

Bill.

Attachments

• 08-0053-600.jpg
    08-0053-600.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 25

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Guess I'd agree with you about pumping oil into a diesel engine. This is the first diesel truck I've built. I was just thinking about all the times I've seen oil leaking out of breathers. Most often after a flop/roll, but once because my ARB blew a seal and pressurized the axle-housing.

I could see that plumbing an ARB equiped axle to the intake could be a problem. But for the trans/tc, seems like a very small risk. Also, the oil wouldn't go straight into the intake, it would pool in the airbox first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior