Edgestar Fridge Modifications Thread

Beavertonite

I seem to recall the OE cord was #14 or maybe even #16 AWG.
I constructed my own cord using some #12 AWG landscape lighting cord and a much heavier-duty cig-lighter plug.

I believe that I am using 12ga wire currently for the part to the plug. <PLUG TO FRIDGE>----16ga(? Original Fridge Wire)---<SPLICE>----12ga---<CIGARETTE ADAPTER> I bought mine used from a third party on another forum. He spliced the wires but the plug has me concerned. I can't post a link to the plug because it won't allow me.

ROKTAXI

Adventurer
If this is all you have changed, then you're missing some squares in your BINGO game.

Read my previous posts to that one. I also changed some wiring that wasn't up to par. I don't play bingo, but I see that you do :) Maybe you should try a different game.

Evil Patrick

Read my previous posts to that one. I also changed some wiring that wasn't up to par. I don't play bingo, but I see that you do :) Maybe you should try a different game.

But you're still thinking that a woefully underpowered solar panel is still adequate? Maybe you should try to solve the real problem before claiming victory? See you back here in a few to continue to ask for answers, but refuse to believe them.

dmwhiteman

Observer
Just scored a heck of a deal on the whynter brand of this fridge through Amazon warehouse. Scheduled to be delivered by mid next week. Hopefully that takes into account the holiday weekend. Can't wait to share my experiences with it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

surly

surly adventurer
Just scored a heck of a deal on the whynter brand of this fridge through Amazon warehouse. Scheduled to be delivered by mid next week. Hopefully that takes into account the holiday weekend. Can't wait to share my experiences with it.

ours works great with the exception of one light on the LCD going out. Makes it take a little longer to set the temp but it still cools fine.

ROKTAXI

Adventurer
But you're still thinking that a woefully underpowered solar panel is still adequate? Maybe you should try to solve the real problem before claiming victory? See you back here in a few to continue to ask for answers, but refuse to believe them.

You obviously did not read the previous posts, 271, 272 (as I suggested) that already schooled me on my inadequate solar panel and my reply. You also replied with some electrical data. Some of us on this website need assistance, as I obviously did, and I received the appropriate answers. I want to thank @hyperboarder and @JLee for pointing me in the right direction without rude replies. Go back to your BINGO game. I'm done replying to your comments.

dfinn

Adventurer
Anyone happen to know what off the shelf slides will work with the 43qt fridges? i was hoping to pick up one of the truckfridge slides that are currently on sale but it looks like the edgestar 43qt is too big. So far the only other option I've found is the tembo tusk jumbo slides. I'm not opposed to those but want to check out other options before I pull the trigger.

dmwhiteman

Observer
My fridge was delivered last night. A little more scratch and dent than was advertised by Amazon, but everything works so I can't complain too much. I'm definitely going to need to add the metal handles if I want to secure it in any way. The 65qt came with metal hinges, not sure if this is something new or maybe whynter specific. The latches seem strong and all the LEDs work!
I gave it a test run and after plugging it in for a bit, I tried out the fast freeze with a few bottles of water in it. Dropped to 18* after about an hour. I was too impatient to let it drop to -6. Is that typical for the fast freeze? I was expecting it to drop in a shorter amount of time.

My fridge was delivered last night. A little more scratch and dent than was advertised by Amazon, but everything works so I can't complain too much. I'm definitely going to need to add the metal handles if I want to secure it in any way. The 65qt came with metal hinges, not sure if this is something new or maybe whynter specific. The latches seem strong and all the LEDs work!
I gave it a test run and after plugging it in for a bit, I tried out the fast freeze with a few bottles of water in it. Dropped to 18* after about an hour. I was too impatient to let it drop to -6. Is that typical for the fast freeze? I was expecting it to drop in a shorter amount of time.

Mine apparently had a pretty good drop in travel and one corner was about 1/4 in smashed in. Enough that is wouldn't sit flat. Everything ran fine and I was able to pull it out so I called them and got a credit back for keeping it.

One thing to note is that you should let the unit sit upright for 24hours before running it the first time. If it was stored in any direction other than up during shipping (and really whos to know for sure) the liquid refrigerant will have run through the system and could cause compressor issues. It needs time to sit upright for everything to drain back to where it's supposed to be for it to run best and prevent damage

dmwhiteman

Observer
Mine apparently had a pretty good drop in travel and one corner was about 1/4 in smashed in. Enough that is wouldn't sit flat. Everything ran fine and I was able to pull it out so I called them and got a credit back for keeping it.

One thing to note is that you should let the unit sit upright for 24hours before running it the first time. If it was stored in any direction other than up during shipping (and really whos to know for sure) the liquid refrigerant will have run through the system and could cause compressor issues. It needs time to sit upright for everything to drain back to where it's supposed to be for it to run best and prevent damage
Same with mine. Front right corner. Had to unbolt the bottom to get the panel cover to fit right.

Mine sat for about 3 hours before I plugged it in. Who knows how it was loaded onto the ups truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior