Edgestar Fridge Modifications Thread

K2ZJ

Explorer
Since you are getting your money back, can you use that money to buy the controller and up ahead on the deal?

thelal

Observer
Good in theory but once they do the 'give money back' you are not allowed to purchase any spare parts from them.

jet noise

Observer
I just got a scratch and dent 43qt. This is my first portable freezer. Being in AZ, do I need to get the insulted travel cover? Plan to use it in the rear of the jeep.
Amazon has this bag that supposedly fits:
31bbbf6034c4d50e2aafadde222fb03f.jpg

trasko

Adventurer
I'll say this: the more insulation the better. Having said that, $70 for what looks to me to be questionable R-value cover to put on a super-cheap fridge might not make sense. I'd just throw a blanket over it during travel and make sure to keep the vents clear. Up to you, though! It looks like it fits the fridge really well so that is a bonus. If the price doesn't make you balk then I'd go for it. You saved the money on the scratch & dent anyway.

mcskibadee1

Adventurer
My problem was that even though I had 5% tint in the rear the sun still beats on the cooler when parked and the metal would be pretty hot to the touch and the motor would always be running. I would actually use my windshield sunshade to cover it and immediately the metal was cool again and the motor wasn't constantly running.

I purchased some standard reflective bubble type material that comes on a per foot roll at my local osh. Its like the same thing that you use to put in your windshield when you park.

I was in a hurry but we sewed it together and used little rivet button things and a couple pieces of velcro to hold the top down in the wind. Total cost was like 20 bucks and a couple hours work.

I even made an extension on the chord so I could put it outside since I don't have a slider.

AND DEFINITELY UPGRADE THOSE HANDLES, THE ORIGINALS ARE WORTHLESS.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7458/16369819320_96b8117076_c.jpg
16369819320_96b8117076_c.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-02-17 at 11.33.22 PM.jpg

trasko

Adventurer
FYI I also wrapped mine in the foil bubble-wrap and just used foil tape to secure it. It looks pretty ghetto but I'm sure it has improved it's thermal isolation.

63willys

New to this site. Have had me Edgestar 63 for about 4 yrs now with no problems. This year put on solar panels and the solar charger is set for max. charge of 15.volts to fully charge the Bats. Didn't think of it until left on trip and checked the fridge after a couple of hours and it was not working o the 12 volt hookup. Plugged in the 110 ac cord to the inverter and it worked fine for the remainder of the trip. Now the 12v cord/side does not work. Could the 15.5 v charging have burned something out?
IF this unit is supposed to work on either 12 or 24v it seems that the 15.5 v should have been okay. Am I missing anything here? Checked the power source and it reads whatever the batteries are at at any given time during the charging cycle and when the charger is off. The old battery charger I had would charge up to about 14.4v and I never had a problem.
Any help here would greatly appreciated. As I will not always be where there is 110 ac available.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
Im not sure if that was the problem, 15.5 does seem very high but ive seem 15.2v from my alternator when its cold and no ill effects have been seen from that.

Thats a bummer since running off 120v is way more inefficient since you need to power the inverter and then the fridge converts 120v to 12v to run the compressor. Have you tried other plugs or cords? I also added an inline fuse to my cord for in case.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
So im back to messing with my edgestar. My plan was to add another fan with a controllable knob as well but that will need more fine tuning since the internal power supply didnt like the extra current and would turn off the fridge as soo as I added it. ( you can see the knob I added before the power plug)

DSC_000001 (4).JPG

So I was looking at the Whynter transit bag and as we all know they are the same fridge, even saw in review that it fit edgestar.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0093IU79O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

So I decided to give it a try, I even added some sticky foam in the fridge prior to putting the cover on so hopefully added even a little more.

*** The threading does seem very cheap and came undone in one spot, so I might be doing some repair work soon but its the only option beside manually making from scratch.

DSC_000001 (3).jpg
DSC_000001 (2).jpg
DSC_000001.jpg
DSC_000001 (1).jpg
DSC_0016.jpg

ab1985

Explorer
Is there an easy way to disable the low battery cutoff mechanism in the Edgestar fridge?

Mine tends to cut out even when there's plenty of juice. Mine's running off an auxiliary battery so I'm not concerned with accidentally draining it.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
Is there an easy way to disable the low battery cutoff mechanism in the Edgestar fridge?

Mine tends to cut out even when there's plenty of juice. Mine's running off an auxiliary battery so I'm not concerned with accidentally draining it.

Its not the low voltage shut off its the voltage drop in the wires. Mine had that problem until I ran new wires. I went overboard and ran a 6gauge to the back so I could power other things as well. Run a 12 gauge and you will prob be good.

-cheers

ab1985

Explorer
Interesting. I've been using the same gauge wiring for years in two different vehicles without an issue. I get the same reading where the wiring terminates as I do from the actual battery when I check it with a meter.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
Yea its weird, I got the same volts as well but I'd check it and it would be off with yellow light flashing when batt was at 12v

Swapped cable and its all good. Had the same problem when I tried using a CIG plug 15' extension

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz