my K10 overland project

Cody1771

Explorer
Original thread start before cross post

OK, to start off for anyone who is intrested here is the original build thread of all the technical aspects ive been doing to the truck. now that i have got a good start on the mechanical aspects of the truck im starting to think about what im going to do with the bed, the passanger side of the bed is mangled, the bed is twisted so it is comeing off and going to a scrap yard. so the plan is to build a flat deck on the truck. my first question is, can i just use the stock 4 point with bushing mounting points the bed used? i mean it has an 8 foot bed on it, and i dont really think i need to build a 3 point system like on a mog or FG. after the flat deck is build im going to build sort of an off road tear drop style of camper right on the back of it, somethign just high enough to put a bed and some gear in it, i want to keep it low as here on vancouver island there is alot of low overhanging brush and branches. i think its going to be a pretty cool build, im going to build the truck to fit 40" tires, i know a bit overkill but its what i want. let me know what ya think!

Hmm. havnt done this yet i dont think? gonna put down some general specs, then use this thread for any work/any upgrades i do.

Ok so to start, its a 1986 Chevy K10, still has the original 1/2 ton axles in it, which i plan to upgrade to at least a 14 bolt SF rear

so Here is the picture of the truck as it say about 2 weeks ago.

4724437681_cea5af87d8.jpg

I was out wheeling to get to a lake to do some fishing and i pulled over to let a group of quads pass. when i pulled away to get going again the shoulder gave way and i ended up on my side doing this to it;

4724440231_047a93c83f.jpg

So as it stands now, i have a set of new fenders, a new door on the way, and have a few buckets of mixed paint ready for when i re paint.

The engine is a 400ci SBC out of a mid 70's truck, it is currently going through a refresh in my driveway.

4724445029_afc0f8e8d6.jpg

will post some picks of all the new goodies in the next post.

the interior is pretty much bone stock exept for new seats from a mini van (SUPER comfy by the way) and a stereo, it will be re worked once i get the drivetrain back to gether.

4725094116_3f6e151a75.jpg

Last edited:

ccarley

Adventurer
Sounds like a cool project!

I'm kind of picturing in my head something like the back end of a military fastback-style Hummer as your bed replacement... Do you have any drawings of what you are planning?

Keep us updated on the build! And, don't forget to post up some photos here too!

Clay

Cody1771

Explorer
will do, dont have any digital copy's of the drawings maybe ill scan em at work. i have 2 plans really, eather like an off road tear drop bolted to a flat deck, or something like the Turtle V but a smaller scale

more cross posting;

Ok, so now for the "fun" im going through right now.

few weeks ago i went camping and broke the chain in my t-case, and also sheered a front stub shaft.

So i baught a rebuild kit for the NP208 that was in the truck, and a new chain, rebuilt the entire case, slapped it back in, filled it with fluid and ran it up. much to my dis-satisfaction a large crack in the housing opened up spilling the entire contents of my t-case oil on the driveway.

so. back to plan A, i have a NP205 that has the wrong input shaft, a quick call to NWF and new one is on its way. will put the 205 in when i get teh shaft next week.

4797217672_24122c487a.jpg

more to come once i get some pics available... actually i think i will go outside and do that right now.

oh yeah... $600 worth of Yukon Chromo axles on the way :D

Last edited:

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
........ my first question is, can i just use the stock 4 point with bushing mounting points the bed used? i mean it has an 8 foot bed on it, and i dont really think i need to build a 3 point system like on a mog or FG.

You should be good with an 8' bed. One way to check, is to flex the truck out once the box is off, and see how much the frame flexes from the cab back.

On the couple of flatbeds I've built, I built up the mounting surface so it was 'level' with the axle hump in the frame.

I then attatched hard wood strips to that, and mounted the flatbed rails onto it.

I bolted the rear points solid, and the front I used angle iron along the side, and longer bolts with springs compressed, to allow some movement of the mount point, but still keep the flatbed in place.

It's hard to describe, and I have no pics of it, but
It was the same way my '76 GMC 1 ton came was set up with a flatbed.

Cody1771

Explorer
pics would rock!

ok so here are the new fenders i got, right and left, the right one has an antenna mount on it, but i already have an antenna built into my windshield, so im going to use it to mount my CB antenna

4821479357_376aa4cfa9.jpg

Now, as far as engine goodies go, like i said i am refreshing the engine, resealed EVERYTHING in an attempt to kill the drips on the driveway. replacing the water pump, oil pump, thermos stat, and a few little odds and ends. i also noticed that both my headers had holes rusted through them which would account for the massive engine noise in the cab. so new hedders to.

4822099050_83f60b2509.jpg

managed to get the right side header in today as im going out for drinks with my wife's work people soon and i cant show up all greasy heh.
4821480729_72f278dbbc.jpg

bit of info on the engine

It has a full edelbrock top end including heads, intake, carb, and fuel system. i HATE THE CARB. it stalls on the slightest angles, don't buy one for an off road truck! cant decide between a holly truck avenger or a pro-jection system.

they are a no name brand hedder but they seem to work well.

Last edited:

78Bronco

Explorer
I would recommend to first determine how much weight your vehicle is able carry and the legal GVW. On a half ton your payload is a limiting factor and should have the greatest influence on the design and materials you build with. If you can afford an aluminium flatbed it may benefit your build greatly.

How much does the truck weigh empty and what is the max GVW rating? I thought a K10 was a light half ton.

Cody1771

Explorer
the truck empty is about 4500lbs, GVW im not sure, the door sticker is long gone and i cant find anything online. i think i remember hearing you could put 1800lbs in the bed though? more researchign todo

OK got some more work done today, managed to get the door on. looks like i need some door shims, anyone know where i can get some? i had 3 but looks like i need 3 more, next will be changing out the window and track as the one i got is pretty rusty and i don't like the tinted window it came with, and the one in my old door is pretty mint.

4840805003_e8fe1b3d71.jpg

figured i throw in a few pictures of the roll cage, its nothing heavy duty but i figure if i get in a slow speed roll over or something it will definatly help... i like the red :)

4841419860_22c814bfea.jpg

you can see how it goes together, it has slip couplings that just bolt through.

4841421314_625c35672a.jpg

Last edited:

Cody1771

Explorer
hmm so i managed to find some factory numbers, the stock K10 had a GVWR of 6001lbs, and the Big 10, or Heavy Chevy model was bumped to 7000lbs. im not at home to get the VIN off my truck to find out which model i have, but im thinking i may have lucked out, because when i baught it the owner said it was a camper special model, which has the larger spring packs and added overloads, but even if its 7000 it doesnt leave me with much from the empty weight of 4500... maybe re think my idea and go with an off road trailer. hmmm....

Cody1771

Explorer
ok, so after doing alot more research, and talking to a few other chevy guys i dont think a camper is a good idea, so ive been brainstorming. i have a line on a 84 Chevy Crew Cab with a totaled box but the cab is in decent shape. There are a few builds ive seen where people put a crew cab body on a short bed frame to maintain a relativly short wheelbase but have the added comforts of a crew cab, tandom that with an off road trailer or RTT and well....

IMGP0912a.jpg

ccarley

Adventurer
Very nice idea, I like it! I was just at Pick&Pull yesterday and saw a Crew Cab. Heck, it even had a complete 14 bolt underneath... and it was SRW too.

Clay

Cody1771

Explorer
now that i have filled in some of the other posts im going to continue cross posting from OLC

super busy and productive day! for once things went smoothly. Got the transfer case cross member bolted up, with all new SS bolts and washers. not going to bolt up the skid plate until i get the front drive shaft in. which i need to wait for the new flange. one issue is that the new case is 1" shorter than the old so i'm not really comfortable with the amount of slip yoke is engaging. apparently the shackle flip will bring the axle 1" forward and i also have some zero rate add a leaves from ORD that i can bring it another 1" if i need so im not to worried yet.

4860495287_b5b8558db2.jpg

here's a picture of it in all its glory in the vehicle. you can see the bolts hanging down for the skid plate, i gain about 4" of clearance with the new case! as you can see my speedo cable is cut, that's because the exhaust melted it. ill be putting a new one in soonish i think.

4860496313_08946f8703.jpg

i think i finally figured out a use for the 38.5 boggers i got for $40. i got a supplier for Michellen Xl military tires in the 38.5 x R16 for when i upgrade to 1 ton axles. so im going to use them as mock ups for the flat deck and fender trimming. also, any opinions on what color i should paint the sliders? i was thinking red to go with the new cage.

4861118720_8823e8814f.jpg

and for all you with fancy garages here is what i have to work with, its the old platform for my RTT that Spectyr now has, on some saw horses. you can see the old input shaft from my 205 sitting on there. gonna hold onto that incase i ever want to run a doubler.

4860497149_a6323866ab.jpg

and for something a little down the road, i HATE my front bumper. so i found this online and i might have something like this made up. i also really like the roof rack. nice looking truck right?

4861118760_b0c9fe463c.jpg

i also finished installing my left side hedder on the truck, as well as re sealing the whole top end and having the distributor timing adjusted, truck runs and sounds real bad *** now.

whats left to do now, tomorrow i'm going to pull the pan off the transmition and do the oil change and filter, then the engine pan will be dropped, oil pump replaced, and the oil pan painted. full fluid changes will be done on the whole vehicle. once this is all done i can get to ripping apart the front end to do the shafts. oh so much... and i dont think im going to put off the flat deck. i borrowed a friends 110V mig welder and im going to tack up a deck and have my friend weld the whole thing for a case of beer, it helps to have friends who weld for a living :)

Cody1771

Explorer
Ok, so i noticed that when the engine was at temp the paint on my oil can was being blistered off due to the excessive heat, so oil filter relocation go!

ok so i got the kit mocked in, havnt tightened up the lines yet because im taking them off to do the bottom end of my engine anyways, my truck is very akward to move the filter, i didnt want it under the hood as id have to run the lines right by the headers, so i opted to bolt it up and behind the left side front inner fender well. its far enough out of the way it wont get hit by trail obsticles, the lines can run over the frame keeping them out of the way, and it will be very easy to replace the filter, im going to make a small alluminum rock shield for it to prevent little rocks from chipping it to death. otherwise i like where it is.

4866542157_ba892957fa.jpg

Cody1771

Explorer
ok so now people can see on here what ive done with my truck so far without having to goto OLC. from now on ill try to do my best to post on both forums, but as of now project is at a stand still as im out at sea till the 15th of september.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior