TDeSanto's Montero Mod Thread

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
kcowyo said:
Wow, you have some really well thought out and nicely designed and installed modifications! :clapsmile

Great photos and descriptions. A very impressive set-up! :beer:

Thank you. It's been a lot of work, but very rewarding work in the end.

hattrik21

Adventurer
Very nice rig!! Hopefully one day I'll see you running around Dallas so I can get a closer look at it.

Last edited:

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
One more item off the wish list and on the truck!

New sneakers for the Monty. :jumping:

I finally got the 285/75/16's today. I really wanted to go with either the BFG MT's or the Wrangler MTR's; however, I was a bit concerned about performance when forced to drive on wet pavement. That can happen a lot during certain times of year (and never enough during other times) around here, and the streets are already pretty slick once they're wet. I was advised, and hopefully not ill-advised, by not only a couple people who have MT's (varioius brands) but also by the sales person at Discount Tire who has MT's on his Jeep, that MT's tend to not have as great of performance on wet pavement as AT style tires.

So, I finally landed on the BFG AT's. I know I'll regret it some if I'm in some slick mud (clay) ; however, I figured they were the best compromise for me for on and off-road performance.

Of course, I had to get them on the highway right away, just to see how loud they would be. I was amazed at how quiet they are. I certainly hope they stay that way as I start to pile the miles on. I was also surprised to see just how great they handle bumps. They seem to provide an even smoother ride over my stock 265/70/16's (Toyo Open Country AT's). The Toyos seems to bounce a lot after hitting bumps and also were a rougher ride.

Since this is my first oversized tire, I'm not sure if the fact that there's simply more air in the tire or the fact that there's a taller sidewall that provides the smoother ride and less "bounce" when hitting bumps, or if it's the difference between the tire design.

Anyway, so far very pleased. Discount Tire was not only very helpful and provided a free test fit, but they're very reasonable on pricing too.

Finally, now I need to find someone to modify my rear tire carrier so that I can get my spare on there (on the rear door) and still clear my rear bumper. Looks like I'll need about 2" of lift over the bumper, so it shouldn't be too hard to do.

Looking forward to hitting the trails this weekend :safari-rig:

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
I was faced with the same decision on tires and made the same choice due to my truck serving as DD.

I think you will be surprised how well the BFG A/T's do in the mud. They are no mud tire but they do better then you would think. Definitely feel a LOT better on wet and light snow and ice then the BFG MT's did on my last truck.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Grim Reaper said:
I was faced with the same decision on tires and made the same choice due to my truck serving as DD.

I think you will be surprised how well the BFG A/T's do in the mud. They are no mud tire but they do better then you would think. Definitely feel a LOT better on wet and light snow and ice then the BFG MT's did on my last truck.

Great info; can't wait to really test them out.

I forgot to mention the fact that we do get ice and sleet at least 2-3 times per winter around here. So, it sounds like these will help me more here than an MT tire.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
hattrik21 said:
Did you get the 6 ply or 10 ply BFG's?

I'm not sure. I didn't even know that was an option...dammit, a gap in my research? :eek:

I got these: LT285/75R16/E. So, maybe with the "E" rating, the sidewalls are thicker or simply stronger?

hattrik21

Adventurer
If you have the E rating that should be the 10 ply. You do not have any white letters on either side, right?

FortyMileDesert

Adventurer
tdesanto said:
You are correct sir.

They are not 10 ply. The letter rating system is the equivalent strength rating of the old nylon cord bias ply tires. Nowadays truck tires are usually two or three radial polyester plies and a couple of steel belts.

The equivalency is:

E equivalent to 10 plies
D equivalent to 8 plies
C equivalent to 6 plies
B equivalent to 4 plies
A equivalent to 2 plies

hattrik21

Adventurer
Odd as I called BFG before getting the E load rating and they told me it is a true 10 ply tire. If they were wrong and its just as strong then I guess I still have that piece of mind of the stronger tire in the long run.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
tdesanto said:
Here's what's on BFG's site:

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/cutaway/all-terrain-t-a-ko/44.html

2 full-width steel belts (I'm assuming that's under the tread/contact patch)

TriGuard construction--innovative 3-ply polyester carcass

So, I went into the purchase just thinking that somehow the sidewalls were a little stronger.

Tony-

They are just as strong as the the MT's... http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/cutaway/mud-terrain-t-a-km/1152.html

They are a good tire... rest assured.

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Congratulations on the BFG all terrain tires, I like you wanted the Mud terrains in Hankook, bfg, and yokos, however I desided on the all terrains, since I do most of my drive on pavment 80 to 90%. I think you will be happy with this tire, I also considered the toyo nitto all terrain, however because of the side walls I went to bfg.
I used them on deep sand on the beach and some trails and they did great!

You will be happy!

Enjoy the ride!:friday:

Now if I could only get a rack to carry 4 5 gallon gas cans!!!!hummm!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94