TDeSanto's Montero Mod Thread

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
So, after many people asking me to write this thread, here goes:

The platform is the 2001 Mitsubishi Montero/Pajero/Shogun (gen III).

Here's a short list of the modifications, and then I'll follow up with pictures.

Outside:
ARB winch bumper
OME HD springs and shocks
Warn XD9000
Yakima Load Warrior roof rack with 2 18" extensions
Yakima Shovel and Hi-lift brackets
JAOS rear ladder
Custom canvas awning attached to roof rack
Hella 500 driving and fog lights
Rear Adventure Trailers utility lights
BFG A/T 285/75/16's
Inside:
ARB 45 Fridge w/Engel transit bag, which necessitated the...
...Hell Roaring BIC-95300B Dual Battery system, and the...
...Optima D31M as my main battery, and...
...Optima D34M as my backup battery
First aid kit and fire extinguisher
Custom-built drawer and fridge slide
Magellan Xplorist XL GPS with Topo 3D and Directroute 3 software
Tablet PC with Delorme LT-40 GPS and Topo 7 software
400watt power inverter
Scan Gauge II

Future Wish List:
Rear bumper--if I can find someone to build it.:drool:
32mpg full loaded:xxrotflma

A view from the front:
Edited-7393-edit for web.jpg

From the rear:

_DSC6234-edit for web.jpg

custom fridge slide and drawer system that I built this year.
_DSC5268-edit for web.jpg
_DSC2897-edit for web.jpg
_DSC2917-edit for web.jpg

I built this system to help me stay organized and provide easy access to almost anything without having to move everything else just to get to that one item at the bottom. Also, I wanted to be able to use the cargo space under the floor provided by my removing the never used 3rd row seat.

More pictures and notes to follow...

Last edited:

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Dual Battery System and roof rack

Hellroaring unit in the engine bay:
_DSC2933-edit for web.jpg

Barely squeezed the D31-M in the OEM battery tray--.1" to spare:)
_DSC2931-edit for web.jpg

I built a tray to hold the backup battery and ran the cables under the vehicle and through the floor:
_DSC2927-edit for web.jpg

Switch for controlling the isolator/combiner:
_DSC2930-edit for web.jpg

Canvas awning:
_DSC2920-edit for web.jpg

This consists of an 8'x10' 10oz canvas tarp purchased at Sportsman's Warehouse. The poles are 9' aluminum poles from Campmor. I had to add additional gromets for attachment points along the roof rack.

Last edited:

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Wow, very nice. :bowdown: Quick question have you used the awning in an sort of wind and if so how did it handle it. Thanks for taking the time to explain the ins and outs. Looking good.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Wow, you have some really well thought out and nicely designed and installed modifications! :clapsmile

Great photos and descriptions. A very impressive set-up! :beer:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Nicely done. I like the dual-battery mod.

How does that 3rd Gen Monty do off road with the IRS? Do they have lockers like the 2nd Gen?

We had some 3rd Gen Pajeros in the Middle East in 2004 (they're quite popular there) but they rarely went off-road.

My 1st Gen Monty (1990 4 dr) was a good vehicle but didn't have a lot of the high-tech stuff that's available now. Does aftermarket support for the Monty still suck? That was my biggest gripe about owning one.

HongerVenture

Adventurer
Wow, I LOVE the whole package. Very well done. I think you've found a very ideal vehicle and equally ideal solutions for storage. I love how you've kept your payload in the roofrack low profile.

tdesanto said:
32mpg full loaded:xxrotflma

Really, need you say more? All of the other excellent aspects of your rig are complimented by this outstanding fact. Bravo!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
HongerVenture said:
Wow, I LOVE the whole package. Very well done. I think you've found a very ideal vehicle and equally ideal solutions for storage. I love how you've kept your payload in the roofrack low profile.

Really, need you say more? All of the other excellent aspects of your rig are complimented by this outstanding fact. Bravo!

Ummm...I think that last part was on his "wish list." ;) Even a diesel Monty would have a hard time getting that kind of MPG!

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Having seens this truck in person, all I have to say is it is a nice truck, nice build, but in the wrong country! :smilies27 The mods are all well thought out!

Tony has a great truck and I am glad he finally got around to posting it up!

Come on Tony post up the story of the mystery cut you got on your build-up!!!:REOutShootinghunter

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Martinjmpr said:
Nicely done. I like the dual-battery mod.

How does that 3rd Gen Monty do off road with the IRS? Do they have lockers like the 2nd Gen?

We had some 3rd Gen Pajeros in the Middle East in 2004 (they're quite popular there) but they rarely went off-road.

My 1st Gen Monty (1990 4 dr) was a good vehicle but didn't have a lot of the high-tech stuff that's available now. Does aftermarket support for the Monty still suck? That was my biggest gripe about owning one.

Aftermarket support sucks. Everything good for this vehicle is in Australia and most of that is unavailable here. I had more support for my '94 model (previous truck). I'll definitely be buying my next vehicle after doing a lot of research on 3rd party support.

IRS hasn't been an issue yet. I've never done a side-by-side comparison with a discovery, landcruiser, or trooper to tell whether those do that much better with a solid axle; so, I couldn't speak to that. Maybe at Expedition Trophy this year we could test that out?

Regarding the diff lockers--on the '01-'02 year models the rear locker was available. Unfortunately I couldn't find a used one with that option. I guess it wasn't a big seller over here or at least in my area. I have had good traction with the LS diff, even with one wheel in the rear and one in the front off the ground.

What I do like about this vehicle is the comfort factor, great visibility, and outstanding cargo room, especially for a vehicle with a wheelbase just under 110".

Last edited:

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Gear said:
Wow, very nice. :bowdown: Quick question have you used the awning in an sort of wind and if so how did it handle it. Thanks for taking the time to explain the ins and outs. Looking good.

With the canvas tarp, it's quite a bit heavier than with a poly tarp; therefore, there's a little more "slack". I've had it in what I estimate to be 20mph winds, give or take a little, and it handled it just fine. I use 2 guy lines per side, i.e., 4 lines total. I tied tight loops in the ends of the guy lines and I slip those over the narrow part of the poles that go through the grommets. That helps hold the tarp down on the poles so that it won't slip off in the wind. So, that makes it pretty sturdy. In fact, the weakest part was the short stakes I was using, so I'm upgrading those to longer, larger stakes.

It could probably handle 30mph winds, but I wouldn't trust it beyond that. I just
don't think the stakes could handle it. The nice thing about the simple set-up is that you can move the poles inward to another grommet and still tie off at the outer grommets--that could help it handle the rougher weather.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
flyingwil said:
Having seens this truck in person, all I have to say is it is a nice truck, nice build, but in the wrong country! :smilies27 The mods are all well thought out!

Tony has a great truck and I am glad he finally got around to posting it up!

Come on Tony post up the story of the mystery cut you got on your build-up!!!:REOutShootinghunter

Thanks, Wil, for the great support.

He's referring to the time I was installing the dedicated 12v outlet for the fridge. I had run my hand under the plastic trim in the rear to pull the cabling. I had quickly cut myself on what I'd thought was rough sheet metal. Only after two days with the cut not healing and continuing to bleed, did I investigate further. What I found was a small (seemed pretty large to be stuck in my finger) jagged piece of glass that had lodged itself in my index finger. After removing that I was about as happy as could be; no more sharp pain and it healed quickly after that.

I had done my entire dual battery system install that weekend with that damn piece of glass in my finger. I just kept taping it up and fighting through the pain--trying not to bang it on much (which was pretty hard considering I had to run all the cabling to the rear of the vehicle and through the floor).

Amazing what we'll go through when we're fixated on our goals.:smilies27

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Martinjmpr said:
Ummm...I think that last part was on his "wish list." ;) Even a diesel Monty would have a hard time getting that kind of MPG!

Yeah, I'm gettin' nowhere near 32mpg...probably more like 16 if I'm lucky enough to run downhill the whole way with the wind behind me.

Last edited:

HongerVenture

Adventurer
tdesanto said:
Yeah, I'm gettin' no where near 32mpg...probably more like 16 if I'm lucky enough to run downhill the whole way with the wind behind me.
Yeah... duh! I guess I should have known better than to think that possible. Not to mention the heading above it.

Still, sweet rig!

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
tdesanto said:
I had done my entire dual battery system install that weekend with that damn piece of glass in my finger. I just kept taping it up and fighting through the pain--trying not to bang it on much (which was pretty hard considering I had to run all the cabling to the rear of the vehicle and through the floor).

Amazing what we'll go through when we're fixated on our goals.:smilies27

Yup, blood, sweat and beers! This prooves you acomplished this! I guess the story was funnier in person.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles