expedition or explorer?

I am currently looking at both... It will be used for hauling kids and will be used for camping and exploring. Just curious if any has built either one for exploration?

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
I built a 92 explorer for wheelin...if ya gots more than 2 kids...go bigger! and find a diesel excursion..you'll be glad ya did!

dirty Bakers

Conservative
Expedition!! I love the looks of the first gen. but the latest model is nice too. I would get and expedition but its to big for the areas that I enjoy. I want to get a first gen. for the wife to drive but would not be caught in one.

ihatemybike

Explorer
I dig the 1st and 2nd gen Explorers a lot and there seems to be a decent enough aftermarket parts selection for them. It's really gonna be about how much space you think you need though.

ccarley

Adventurer
I think whichever you end up with, will get used well. After going from a Full Size Jeep Grand Wagoneer, to a Suburban, I find that after loading, I still have the same amount of room left!

I think the idea is that however much room in the rear you have, you will use. I was just as comfortable going out in the Jeep as I am in the Suburban, although the Suburban allows us to sleep inside comfortably, while in the Jeep, we tented. It wasn't necessary, but the Sub has tinted rear windows, so there is no need for curtains. My Jeep had very clear glass, and I never got around to making any curtains.

Good luck with whatever you choose. I kind of dig the Diesel Excursion idea ;)

Clay

rob845

I have a 1999 Expedition 5.4 w/3rd row seats and love it. With 3 kids, you need ALL the room you can get for camping trips. We filled up the wifes 06 Durango on our last camping trip. And now with more gear we will be needing a roof rack.

The Expedition has more interior room than the Durango. So on hunting trips, I have PLENTY of sleeping room on the inside with the 3rd row removed and 2nd row flipped down...while carrying all my gear on the inside.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
we have a new doublecab tundra..and with having 3 kids (2 twins that are 8months old) we ended up outgrowing our jeep wrangler unlimited 4dr in just a few short months..(didnt even TRY to camp with it!)...and they are the same size as the explorer (if not just a touch less)..

with the tundra we could easily fill the 6.5ft bed to the top with camping gear and groceries for a weekend trip...which is why we got the slide in pop-up camper..heck even a standard flip-pac would be TIGHT (the floor would be completely full of stuff so much that you couldnt get into it..unless you do a bellaPSD style flip-pack slide in...)..

with the storage inside the slide in camper..and the stroller..and the dog traveling in the camper when we drive..we have PLENTY of room..you can get inside and pop the top..heck we get in the back and change into our swimsuits when we get to the beach...

so with some creative packing..the expedition could work out VERY well..but it might be tight as they pack more gear..(so ya end up with stuff on a rear-carrier or roof)..but as ya get more trips under your belt..you can see what ya really need and what you can leave at home..

im amazed at how much we actually pack..but we sleep good..eat good..and have a good time..if I laid it all out on the garage floor..it is astonashing how much gear gets packed..

oh...compression bags are your friend...blankets and pillows are MAJOR space eaters..

dont forget about underseat storage too!!..we carry my medium sized hiking backpack and my daugters small camelpack with some storage (raingear/firstaid/snacks)..and 3 camping chairs UNDER the back seat along with some kites and outside toys at all times..that would about half fill the back of the wrangler4dr..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior