Diesel fuel filter/water separators

Doc Mayhem

Observer
I have a 2006 Dodge Cummins 2500 4x4 quad cab short bed and am thinking of adding a 2 micron fuel filter and maybe a water separator. Glacier makes a filter that mounts to the engine and then there are a bunch that mount to the frame. I was initially trying to stay away from the frame mounts because they mostly mount behind the transfer case and the extended fuel tank I ultimately was thinking I need, would occupy that space. However, it would be convenient for maintenance and tucks up out of the way and is protected quite well by the transfer case skid plate. I don't need something that will support massive horsepower, just looking to protect my injectors. I am looking for any input and seeing what others are running.

Thanks in advance

-Doc

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I've got the stock filter and GDP's engine mounted auxillary one. I've followed the posts on the elaborate frame mounted setups,but this one continues to work well.

bobcat charlie

Adventurer
I too have the stock filter and the Glacier 2mu filter. I believe the stock 10mu filter is a better water separator than the newer 7mu, so i keep using the older filters (I bought a case). Change the 2mu filter every 30K miles, the stock filter every 10K miles. I have changed 2 of the pre-filters...which is just a screen and I haven't found any material in either pre-filter.

Doc Mayhem

Observer
Did you go with the Glacier mount that mounts under the air intake horn or the newer one that mounts up on the edge of the block?

-Doc

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Did you go with the Glacier mount that mounts under the air intake horn or the newer one that mounts up on the edge of the block?

-Doc
The cylinder head mount is what I use as I have the AFE Bladerunner intake horn. In my stock location I use the Baldwin Pf 9777 5 micron drop in filter. GDP sells a much better intake horn than the AFE btw. It's all steel and powdercoated. The stocker is very restricted. Initially,you'll feel a low end power increase. All the brands dyno results show a pretty good increase @ 1500-2000 rpms. The cylinder head mount will enable you to upgrade the intake horn in the future if desired.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Someone removed the factory w/s from my 12 valve and just has a filter
there. I looked at some kits at GDPs site, and would have to go with the universal f/w kit. How many microns do I want? I don't plan to run wvo any time soon, but do drive to Mexico regularly. I see filters from 2 to 20 microns. What is enough??

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Someone removed the factory w/s from my 12 valve and just has a filter
there. I looked at some kits at GDPs site, and would have to go with the universal f/w kit. How many microns do I want? I don't plan to run wvo any time soon, but do drive to Mexico regularly. I see filters from 2 to 20 microns. What is enough??
Mexico doesn't have the capacity to refine ULSD,so I've been told they're buying ours. As far as quality of fuel goes down there...I think I'd hit the larger volume stations. I've witnessed many new tanks being installed between the border and the San Quintin area. The 12 valves will run on anything but water. Get on one of the Dodge sites. Lots of owners there. Richard @ GDP is great. He'll answer any of your questions also.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Nice!

Very nice install! Tucked up and very functional. That should go a long ways toward protecting the cr injectors.

Doc Mayhem

Observer
That is a nice setup. Similar idea to this. http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/p-4750-trc-billet-one-piece-head-high-flow-2-micron-fuel-filterwater-separator-03-10-59l67l-dodge-cummins.aspx

There is a bracket on the frame for emissions equipment the gas model needs, but is unused on the diesels. It would get in the way of a bigger fuel tank, but it is really easy to service and a slick install. I have been thinking of going this way. This also leaves more room for my bypass oil filter on thet corner of the engine block were the Glacier kit mounts the fuel filter.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94