Going to fetch my Suburban tomorrow...

Wants2Wander

Right on, the big brown truck should be delivering the tools n crap I sent out then I'll be swapping the plugs, plug wires and I'll swing by an o'reillys to get a scan done. It supposedly has a newer O2 sensor but we'll see. I may swap the cap n rotor as well. All in all though it runs well, I scored.

BlueBomber

Adventurer
If the brake pedal is soft I would bleed the brakes. I know you said the fluid looked good, but its better to be safe than sorry.

ccarley

Adventurer
You know the secret trick for OBD1 if you have the code listing, right?

My Haynes manual has the instructions & code listings. Very easy to do, with a paper clip. Short 2 pins together in the interior plug, turn key on, and watch the SES light flash.

I'll check my manual later for exact instructions, but they are something like that.

Clay

Wants2Wander

I've got the Chilton manual, I'm gonna see if there's a Haynes in town today. My 03 Cummins Ram did the same trick, although I was never forced to use it. Brakes will be bled later this afternoon or tomorrow morning. Even though I really like having buckets and a center console, I'm digging the bench seat! Found a fluffy mouse nest on the intake under the air cleaner housing, no wires look to be damaged, knock on wood. My bother said he had gotten the truck scanned last year and was told that it was "some sensor or valve in the motor that's ****ting out", he's not the most mechanical kind o fella, and that it would be a pain in the *** to fix. I don't think there's any sensor IN the motor as far as I know and thought that most service/check engine lights were more associated with emissions equipment. I'll try n find out this morning on my way to Deadwood to hang with my pops.

Cody1771

Explorer
just so you know, you cant fit 37" tires without a body lift, or cut out fenders, if your not planning on going into a lot of brush a fender kit would be a good idea, my 86 truck has 37" tires and i needed a 4" lift and a 3" body lift to fit them, in hindsight 35's and no body lift would have been nice. heres a pic to give you an idea

4724437681_cea5af87d8.jpg

Wants2Wander

I got the error codes via a paperclip, #'s 32, 73, 32 is for an EGR problem and 73 is for a Pressure Control Solenoid, not sure what that's about can't find mention of it in the chilton or haynes book. Looks to be getting 12-13mpgs. Captain we need more power!

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
I will look tomorrow on my Mitchells and MODIS. Try looking in the transmission section for the code. It could be a transmission code.

Wants2Wander

And reinstall on an aluminum LS 6.0, 6BT, new 350, yada yada yada......http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/images/smilies/coffeedrink.gif

Any hoo, the trans does have a faint whine and shifts a little firmly into 2nd and maybe 3rd, pressure solenoid is in the tranny pan I think, so I'll swap it once home. Going to try to locate an EGR valve in the AM and get it on for the trip home, maybe that'll help with the running rich a touch. Noticed that there is no catalytic converter under it and the exhaust is factory issue. I crunched my favorite sunglasses while under it reconnecting the speedometer wires that were dangling, now I have to find another pair of those shades. On the plus side I now know how fast I'm pushing it. So far so good.

bftank

Explorer
hes not joking the way the injectors are shrouded by the the collat air cleaner collar it will help to remove collar and flip lid. you can also mod the filterbase with a hypertech filtercharger. check out cfmtech.com for more tbi mods.

i wouldn't worry about the missing kitty unless you need it for emissions in your area

Wants2Wander

Free tbi mod noted, although I'd rather be doing as I had stated. I have read that tbi is better for motors producing low end torque than sequential fuel injection. Any truth to that? This pig is emissions exempt where I be and seeing as it didn't have one to begin with should be ok anywheres else, I'm glad its not on there I was looking to see what I was gonna have to cut out. I've been prowling around on the 4BTswap.com website for a while as well, that little 4 banger seems to be a neat swap as well. I dont need the Burb to be a dragster but do want a bucket of bottom end to dip into when needed, hence my desire for a mildly built 383 which would be cheaper than stuffing a 6bt under the hood. Can the newer 5.3's put out some decent bottom end with a different cam and maybe some heads? I like the idea of an aluminum motor for less weight but cooling is paramount though. I'm dreaming, that crap is a little ways off but I'd like to have a good idea of what I'm gonna want to do when the cash is in hand. Thanks for all of the replies too, my stupid iPhone wont let me put pics up just from it.

Wants2Wander

Yup found that info last night on the interwebs. I'm headed out for Minneapolis for a night with my other brother then we're both off to Mil-town on Saturday. I like that I get to spend time with both of my brothers in one week, good stuff. The rear main seal looks to be weeping, that seems like it'll be a headache to replace. I'll have to bribe a buddy that has a lift to give me a hand with that. 60-65mph from Rapid City to Minneapolis is gonna be FUN.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles