Going to fetch my Suburban tomorrow...

Wants2Wander

Well about 600 miles today up into Minnesota and the old warhorse is strutting it's stuff! The steerings a little wobbly and a tire has a bad belt that shakes a bit from 60 to about 65mph and gets down right smooth at 70mph, so that's how fast I seem to go. It's throwing down better than 15mpgs as well, I'm really taking a shine to this old truck! It's full throttle to get up some of the steeper, and not so steep, hills but it just keeps working. Good times. I'll put some tape over the service engine soon light till I get home, it's distracting!

ccarley

Adventurer
It's always fun taking a new vehicle home!

That's awesome mileage, it is very surprising how well a vehicle this big can get decent mileage, but somehow they do.

I tend to use 3rd to get up the big hills, and some of the steeper ones do need a lot of throttle. I have to watch the engine temps then though... the hottest I've seen is 210 on the factory gauge, but at that, since I had overfilled the overflow bottle slightly, it puked out a little.

Good luck on the drive!

Clay

Wants2Wander

She's home

Well, its home. 15-16mpg's over the 1100 miles not to shabby at all. Now to get started cleaning it up, new door pins for both front doors right away as well as rust proofing and undercoating to keep the salty Wisconsin winters from eating it. Tires and shocks are in need as well, I'm looking at some Cooper STT's, I've got em on my 2003 4Runner and they have been rock solid. Now I need to find a money tree or well or something, I want to get started doing everything now! :bike_rider: Yeah it is fun bringing a new ride home, I've never got one from so far away before and the drive back was stellar. I love a good road trip, can't wait till this is set up to do some exploring with ,as once I'm done with school we are looking to move back out to the mountainous areas again. I'll get some more pics up as I get into doing repair and semi-restoring of the old girl.

1leg

Explorer
Man overdrive and cruise control would be so nice to have. I just did 1100 mile road trip and got 12 at best MPG. :victory:

Mine also starts getting hot on the hills, 210 is ok but i would rather it did that only when towing a trailer. I'm going to install a Meziere mechanical water pump soon, that should help. Next i want to install electric fans to replace the mechanical to free up some more HP.

Glad you both made it home in one piece.

ccarley

Adventurer
Wants2Wander,

Any new photos since you brought the beast home? Glad to hear you made it safely!

Good call on the undercoating as well. Anything to save it from rust!

Clay

y5e06

15-16mpg's over the 1100 miles not to shabby at all.
Wow, thats great for an old 3/4 ton square nose. You should be real happy with that.
I just did 2000+ mile round trip in my '00 5.7 Vortec OBS and averaged just under 17 at 70mph and 18 for stretches set at 65mph. (I played around w/ CC settings on various fillups). Yours really isn't very far off at all.

Morgan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94