M2A military camp stove gasoline

rezdiver

Adventurer
anyone have any experience with the M2A gasoline camp stove or other stoves that run on Gas?
experiences?
lost limbs and eybrows?:)

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 76

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
There was a thread here on ExPo about those, as I recall someone said they are not only stoves but sterilization devices for medical equipment? A local mil surplus joint had stacks of them, ~$50.

Last edited:

rezdiver

Adventurer
these are definately camp kitchen stoves for the military. apparently run at 50000btu and have a 5000btu preheat to warm her up. i have just never used it myself and wanted to know what you thought.

i am also wanting to see who has cooked with gasoline and your thoughts on it? flavour, smell, dangers.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
Yeah, stove burners. The sterilizers are much smaller.

You fill the tank with gasoline. Using a bicycle type pump, you pressurize it (just a little bit, 2-3 psi). Light it, and the heat generated will pressurize it up to the green range on the dial.

The pressure has to be monitored closely: If it gets too high the thing will explode. It also gets very hot. Have a couple of largish fire extinguishers handy, and some suitable hi-temp gloves.

They go into a cabinet that holds pots and pans. Each complete assembly is over 100 lbs. There's also a tool chest that has the pump, utensils, etc that goes with a set of 3, I think.

I have a few of these in storage. The last time I used one I left the burner at home and used a propane turkey fryer burner, instead.

Here's a manual link:

http://www.tpub.com/content/food/TM-10-7360-209-13-P/

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
I hated those things - they were a maintenance nightmare but they did serve admirably since WW II. When they work they worked great. The burner units typically used with the field range could bake, fry, simmer - you name it; an example of American ingenuity, but they were time consuming to maintain requiring scrupulous cleaning and not always available repair parts. mmm... fresh baked cookies...

I'm having flashbacks to Command Logistic Review Team inspections... (shudder).

The unit could also be used with the old field autoclave for sterilizing instruments for field medical units in the Army, Navy, and Marine Corps. They had a nasty reputation, too; we used to berm them in especially in dynamic, asymmetric threat environments but then we had ample amounts of sand available.

To use it camping though? Only if I deployed with a reinforced rifle Company of my closest friends...

Sounds like you just have the M2 burner unit though. If you also have the Field Range and employ it the way STN suggests with a modern propane burner -- now you're talking.

rusty_tlc

Explorer

i am also wanting to see who has cooked with gasoline and your thoughts on it? flavour, smell, dangers.
I've used gasoline stoves for many years. Gasoline is a great fuel choice for high country backpacking or car camping, the most BTU's for the pound and very reliable at high altitude. IMHO it's is also a good choice for general car camping.

I currently use a gas Coleman stove;
  • fuel tank stores inside unit
  • compact
  • one tank of fuel will last us more than three or four days
  • better flame control than propane (My opinion)
  • better performance in wind than propane (again opinion only)
When I go solo I take the gasoline backpacking stove I've had since the 70's, for all the same reasons.

The fuel does smell, but have you ever smelled propane? I've never had a leak that wasn't the result of an error on my part. And there is no transfer of odor to the food.

Fire is dangerous, gas stoves are no more or less a danger than propane.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Couldnt you just use coleman fuel? It would do away with the smell, I dont think I could bring myself to cook with a gasoline smell. I use coleman fuel for many things that normally run on gasoline (lawn mower, r/c planes and boats with gas engines etc) makes carry fuel in the vehicle better because it doesnt smell like gasoline.

~ James

java

Expedition Leader
i run gas in my MSR stove, its easy to fill the bottle when i stop for gas. only smells when you fill it. no ordor or taste when cooking with it.

rezdiver

Adventurer
thanks for the feedback. I dont plan on making this a regular camping item as it is a beast. it weighs around 40 pounds empty. just another neat toy. i guess i could feed the whole block when the power goes out in the winter here.

crazy

Adventurer
Fired mine up but used a torch because the preheat didn't work. I need to take it apart and see what is up.

[video]youtu.be/x0hfAiXWevA[/video]

Why is it showing up as a link?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier