LC Industries Water Can Pics

Kerensky97

Xterra101
Does the water in these tan/sand-colored water cans get hot if you leave them in the sun all day?

Hoping to use one as water storage for a camp shower.
It all depends on how powerful the sun is. The volume of water amazingly keeps the temperatures lower than you'd expect. If you want "hot" water and you're not in 120 degree heat a black container would be better. Or paint the can black; we did that to some in the Army for the same reason as you. The paint doesn't stick really well and they'll end up looking super beat-up in no time but it makes a small difference heating the water.

However that wall all just trying to adapt the materials at hand to jury-rig a camp shower. I'd recommend just getting a cheap "camp shower" designed to heat the water and filling it from the can. Purpose designed gear is usually a better option and camp showers are cheap.

All-Terrain

No Road Required
It all depends on how powerful the sun is. The volume of water amazingly keeps the temperatures lower than you'd expect. If you want "hot" water and you're not in 120 degree heat a black container would be better. Or paint the can black; we did that to some in the Army for the same reason as you. The paint doesn't stick really well and they'll end up looking super beat-up in no time but it makes a small difference heating the water.

However that wall all just trying to adapt the materials at hand to jury-rig a camp shower. I'd recommend just getting a cheap "camp shower" designed to heat the water and filling it from the can. Purpose designed gear is usually a better option and camp showers are cheap.

Thanks dude. I ended up buying a black one just in case.

The cheap stuff doesn't last, really.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
The cheap stuff doesn't last, really.
True. I've been through about 3 of those cheap black camp showers, but they only cost me $5-$10 and they did last a whole season before dying.
Honestly my final solution to the problem is to just not worry about showering. On a trip longer than 3 days I take the occasional "Baby Wipe" bath.

rayra

Expedition Leader
well quality must have gone to crap, as I've still got the Coleman-branded one I used over 25yrs ago in the Marines. It is thick PVC, clear on the 'face' side, black on the back. I/we used it with one of those old suction cup bathmats as a ground cover, and rolled it up inside the bath mat when not in use. It got a lot of use for a few years, then only occasional camping use since. I haven't had it out in about 6-7years, I'll probably dig it up next week and see how it is. I'll post pics. Cheap / inexpensive isn't always a bad thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier