4x4 bus campers

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
Big RV

We have a M109 6x6 that we made into a "Motor Home" reg'd in Cali. Put in bed, sink w/ water storage, stove, and a contained toilet, to get it re-reg'd from a "historic". After doing all that we drove it down to the DMV, as they said we needed to so that they could inspect it . . . they never even looked out the door, just changed the reg and now it's an MH. Insurance is less than $150 a year.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Insurance companies don't like skoolie conversions because they have a narrow track width and tend to be top-heavy after amateur conversion so non-bus-trained drivers have eaten shi...um...lost it enough times to give skoolies a bad name.

Let me just second that, and it is a very important point. I am a trained bus driver, and I Can tell you those things get squirrelly in the snow that is for sure. Now the transit buses, they do REALLY well in the snow by comparison. They are lower, get better mileage, and in my opinion they are much easier to drive for a multitude of reasons.

Just my two bits.

shortbusadventure

Adventurer
ShortBus

Here is a link to the Shortbus I had. While it was never converted to 4x4, It got us plenty of places. It had pretty good ground clearance and was reasonably stable. By the way, its really easy to get the title change done in California. They have a list of criteria at DMV, that you need 5 of the items on the list to meet the RV registration. I had a basic bed frame with storage underneath, a cooler, water jugs, and Luggable Lou that were all tied down. Most of the seats were removed, and the lady at DMV had no problem signing it off. -Kevin

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=493616&postcount=6

Oh yeah, Insurance was really cheap once it was titled as a RV.

Last edited:

BCHauler

Adventurer
I always thought this was a cool rig:

31780.jpg

That is one of the coolest setups I've seen.

sprale

Observer
I always thought this was a cool rig:

31780.jpg

But, it's not a pure skoolie. Rather a school bus body on a 4x4 Bedford truck chassis.

It's shown on Rob Gray's site under 'other worts'.

Probably a year ago is was on eBay Australia.

He's the guy who built wothahellizat(s)? I had no idea he had done more than one. This one's awesome!

12711.jpg

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I didn't mean to imply that Rob Gray built that 4X4 bus. It is listed on his 'other WORTs' page, where he has pix and info on 'weird off road trucks' buiit by others. AFIK he only built Wot1, then tore it down and rebuilt it as Wot 2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste