The Healthy Diet for Outback Living....

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date
S

Scenic WonderRunner

The Healthy Diet for Outback Living....

Post up your recipes, foods and drinks (fruit smoothies are awesome!) for Healthy Outback Living (active lifestyle). Tell us why you chose them and what body function they help keep healthy (show us the stats).

For instance. Olive Oil....the wonder food!

What would you eat before a 20 mile hike?

What would you eat when you feel fatigued?

What would you eat to help keep your bones and spine healthy?

What would you eat to calm your mood?

.....etc.

pH Balance of your body is very important. This guy just might really know what he is talking about.

http://www.naturalhealthschool.com/pH-balance.html

The Cause of Disease
Have you ever wondered if many of the diseases raging through our society have a common cause? Many doctors, herbalists and nutritionists believe that the explanation may come down to these simple words:

pH Imbalance

Let's figure out how to eat our way into a long and healthy life in the outback. We are what we eat.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

This thread was prompted by my recent back injury, which caused me to limit my outback trips because I'm still not 100%. This showed me the importance of our health and eating right so we can enjoy our outback experience to the fullest.

The easy way I find to get some olive oil in my system is to make a bread dip with olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette. Yum!

Next up....

The Power of the Pomegranate: The 9 Health Benefits of this Wonder Fruit, and How to Eat Them.

I want to start juicing these at home but I can't find any at my local stores.

Lichen

Explorer
We used to call pomegranates "alley fruit" because everybody had them hanging over their back fences into the alley. Most people find them good tasting but too much of a hassle to eat. They make great jelly.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
This thread was prompted by my recent back injury, which caused me to limit my outback trips because I'm still not 100%. This showed me the importance of our health and eating right so we can enjoy our outback experience to the fullest.

The easy way I find to get some olive oil in my system is to make a bread dip with olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette. Yum!

Next up....

The Power of the Pomegranate: The 9 Health Benefits of this Wonder Fruit, and How to Eat Them.

Patience SWR, pomegranates don't come in season until the fall. You have a month or two to go yet. We have a couple pomegranate trees in our yard.

Meanwhile, we take care of our pomegranate juice needs at Trader Joes. Much easier than juicing the fruit anyway. Makes a killer margarita. I'm told that the health properties of pomegranate juice are magnified when mixed with tequila.

Well, let's just say I choose to believe that anyway. Certainly great for my attitude at any rate! :sombrero:

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Tonight.....For the lack of anything more exciting...

I give you.....Broccoli

.....:sombrero::costumed-smiley-007:ylsmoke:

A Cardio-Protective Vegetable

Broccoli has been singled out as one of the small number of vegetables and fruits that contributed to the significant reduction in heart disease risk seen in a recent meta-analysis of seven prospective studies. Of the more than 100,000 individuals who participated in these studies, those who diets most frequently included broccoli, tea, onions, and apples-the richest sources of flavonoids-gained a 20% reduction in their risk of heart disease.

Consumption of cruciferous vegetables, such as broccoli, is known to reduce the risk of a number of cancers, especially lung, colon, breast, ovarian and bladder cancer. Now, research reveals that crucifers provide significant cardiovascular benefits as well.

Researchers from the University of Hawaii have shown that, at the tiny concentration of just 100 micromoles per liter, a phytonutrient found in cruciferous vegetables, indole-3-carbinol, lowers liver cells' secretion of the cholesterol transporter, apolipoproteinB-100 by 56%! Apolipoprotein B-100 (apoB) is the main carrier of LDL cholesterol to tissues, and high levels have been linked to plaque formation in the blood vessels.

When liver cells were treated with I-3-C, not only was apoB-100 secretion cut by more than half, but significant decreases also occurred in the synthesis of lipids (fats), including triglycerides and cholesterol esters. (Maiyoh GK, Huh JE, et al., J Nutr.)

So How about some Fun Recipes>?!!!!....:chef:

rusty_tlc

Explorer

Next up....

We grew them in Las Vegas, they should do fine in SD. Once a bush is established you will have more than you can use. They store well if you wrap them in paper and keep them in a dark cool place.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
What would you eat before a 20 mile hike?
Usually a complex carb, cereal, pasts or something like that. But a fairly light meal. Then snack continuously as I walk. I almost never eat a "meal" while hiking, instead I just munch small amounts of food all day.

What would you eat when you feel fatigued?
Unless I've been exercising, for me that's a sign my blood sugar is off, probably an orange.

What would you eat to help keep your bones and spine healthy?
I drink milk and eat canned fish daily. Also a lot of broccoli and spinach in my diet. So far my bone density is good.

What would you eat to calm your mood?
Vitamin T:sombrero:

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Usually a complex carb, cereal, pasts or something like that. But a fairly light meal. Then snack continuously as I walk. I almost never eat a "meal" while hiking, instead I just munch small amounts of food all day.

Unless I've been exercising, for me that's a sign my blood sugar is off, probably an orange.

I drink milk and eat canned fish daily. Also a lot of broccoli and spinach in my diet. So far my bone density is good.

Vitamin T:sombrero:

Best Post yet!

Thank You.....Rusty!

(yes it's a serious thread)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior