Poor Turning Circle???

Mack73

Adventurer
I'm looking into getting a vehicle to setup as a mild expedition/weekend camper/fire trails rig. I'm looking at a G-wagen as a medium size 4x4 with great potential.

But in looking at the specs the truning circle is somthing like 43.5 ft. I have a rather tight entrance into my house off of an Alley - where the turning radius is critical. I really don't want to backup 5 times every day to manuver it in the drive way. Is the turning radius really this bad? A damn Expedition has a 40ft turning circle!

zimm

Expedition Leader
to be honest with you... its my big gripe. i never thought a vehicle this size would maneuver like suburban... just never occurred to me.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Ouch!!!! Can the steering stops be modified or something or is there just bunch of steering bit and what not in the way??? Maybe a rim BS change, maybe along with the steering stops. That is really suprising to hear about these trucks.

Cheers

Dave

somesnowday

Huh. I really have no problem with my LBW G Wagen. It maneuvers really well I think. My G has a much tighter turning radius then a Suburban or a Land Rover Discovery.

-
Craig

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Well... ZImm, being that you have a nice "smattering" of vehicles, how does it compare to the LX470 or even the FJ's (as I know they don't really have THAT great a turning circle for how short the W/B is)??? Is it more of a Live axle interference issue or what???

Clearly we have some varying experienced opinions here eh ;)

Cheers

Dave

Mack73

Adventurer
Well I was hoping the specs were being reported wrong all over the place, but here are some quotes I found in my searching:

The core G-Wagen is built like a battleship and has a similar turning circle http://www.trucktrend.com/features/163_0702_mercedes_benz_g_class/index.html

With its tighter turning circle, the Land Rover Range Rover Sport is definitely sprier than the Mercedes-Benz G-Class, something to consider if you do a lot of city driving; http://www.newcars.com/landrover/rangeroversport/reviews/mercedesbenz-gclass.html

Just found this thread on Benzworld: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/g-class/183478-turning-radius.html

Doesn't sound good :(

somesnowday

Well, I own a LWB G and I just sold my stupid Land Rover and I'm telling you from person experience and ownership of both that the Land Rover has nothing on my G with turning radius and I have never had a problem with its turning radius. I'm not saying that it turns on a dime, but seriously, the turning radius of my G (and others that I drive and work on for a living) has never ever been an issue.

Any comments from other G owners out there?

-
Craig

kmaser

Observer
I have a swb w460 and even have the steering stops turned out due to 35 12.50's rubbing. I have never had an issue driving around town, there has been a couple times that I have had to back up once in really tight muddy trees. I also have a g500 lwb and although the turning circle is large than some I have never had an issue with it either. I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor. You can adjust the steering stops to some degree but the limiting factor is rubbing the transverse control arms, angle on the axle cv's may be a factor also
A 1/2ton truck llikely has the same or larger turning radius and nobody worries about that.
kurtis

zimm

Expedition Leader
Well... ZImm, being that you have a nice "smattering" of vehicles, how does it compare to the LX470 or even the FJ's (as I know they don't really have THAT great a turning circle for how short the W/B is)??? Is it more of a Live axle interference issue or what???

Clearly we have some varying experienced opinions here eh ;)

Cheers

Dave

lets see... ill compare the fj, the lx470, the g, and 110nas (unloaded it this year)

everything is anecdotal. meaning, it could be technically wrong on paper!

alterations to rig....

gwagon, +2" tires mich ltx street tires
fj, bfg km2's 10.5/33's +3" suspention but its OME heavy duty rears h55f (rear arb disconnected)
110NAS +1 springs stock for '93 tube mich x's (old rock hard skinnies)
LX, 285/75/16 bfg18's

turning radius/off road maneuverability (sans trees)

1 the fj.... well duhhhhh.
2 tight race, but the nod goes to the 110 because it isnt as wide as...
3 the LX. its good but you still feel like youre wheeling a whale
4 gwagon, ya always gotta 3 point turn that *****

with trees

1 fj again
2 gwagon
3 lx
4 110 (never went NEAR a tree with that thing)

cross axle... ability to keep all four planted (not the same as an rti score)

1 110... yea, tough call but the loner wb and the soft coils made the....
2 railroad tie leafs on the swb fj suffer.
t4 the lx suffers from the ind front end
t4 but there is ls little excuse besides the germans wernt into wheeling when they set up a suspension with coils, live axle, and little play.

highway ride

1 LX, retardedly smooth. opinion preference for long trips.
2 gwagon, it lacks the fluid jounce and rebound control of the LX system and tries to make up for it with firm german street settings.. and it almost works! in fact if youre into a real 4wd truck that makes you speed too, this is it.
3 110 its good. i think i like it more than some rover aficionados. but thats an NAS... the other lacking the SD cage will likely loosen up considerably.
fj... well duhhhhh..

high speed pittsburgh driving bad potholes on sanfran like hill street grid..

1 lx. if you remeber how cars leaped and smashes on traversing cross streets on hills in Bullet, or streets of san fran... this truck will let you down. it takes sudden changes like a baja racer. no air, no driving the bumper in the ground.
potholes? little quiver, not much.
2 110, surprised? i was. i think the soft springs and great approach departure angles make up for being stone age compared to an lx. it aint cushy... but you dont wince either
3 the g doesnt bottom out because the g takes that **** out on you instead. its not jarring... but the lack of play when hitting a live axle square on the obstacle shows.
6 fj.. suicide. you wont bottom out, the car will look great, but you'll still be dead.

plain ol' off road all conditions trip....

1 gwagon. solid stucture, full lockers. easy to place because of shape (thats big). its a tank offroad. i love it.
2 mmmmmmmmm fj. the short comings of the wb are also its virtue. eaaaasy to maneuver makes for a low stress day.
3 110 very out of the box capable. more overlander than wheeler in design, itll shock you off road. stock lockers woulda made it tops.
4 lx, its a capable pig, but a pig none the less.

if i think of more comparos ill post em. ill take suggestions too.

Last edited:

zimm

Expedition Leader
braking

1 gwagon. rear drums? built with body armor? nooooo problem for those front calips.

3,3 the 110 had rover disks in back, (forgot that alteration), the lx is portly,
4 fj, not bad at all really. it just suffer from age.

zimm

Expedition Leader
Well I was hoping the specs were being reported wrong all over the place, but here are some quotes I found in my searching:

The core G-Wagen is built like a battleship and has a similar turning circle http://www.trucktrend.com/features/163_0702_mercedes_benz_g_class/index.html

With its tighter turning circle, the Land Rover Range Rover Sport is definitely sprier than the Mercedes-Benz G-Class, something to consider if you do a lot of city driving; http://www.newcars.com/landrover/rangeroversport/reviews/mercedesbenz-gclass.html

Just found this thread on Benzworld: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/g-class/183478-turning-radius.html

Doesn't sound good :(

Well, I own a LWB G and I just sold my stupid Land Rover and I'm telling you from person experience and ownership of both that the Land Rover has nothing on my G with turning radius and I have never had a problem with its turning radius. I'm not saying that it turns on a dime, but seriously, the turning radius of my G (and others that I drive and work on for a living) has never ever been an issue.

Any comments from other G owners out there?

-
Craig

I have a swb w460 and even have the steering stops turned out due to 35 12.50's rubbing. I have never had an issue driving around town, there has been a couple times that I have had to back up once in really tight muddy trees. I also have a g500 lwb and although the turning circle is large than some I have never had an issue with it either. I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor. You can adjust the steering stops to some degree but the limiting factor is rubbing the transverse control arms, angle on the axle cv's may be a factor also
A 1/2ton truck llikely has the same or larger turning radius and nobody worries about that.
kurtis

i spend allot time in the city and got to drive them all back to back on a daily basis. i gotta back in and out of tight parking with little area to swing.

the g is livable sure. but.... as an off road truck, having to back up off camber to swing around a tree blows. i still like it better than a rover, but i aint no brand loyalist.

the radius thing is true. if the lx is only 2 feet better (dont know), its a 2 feet thats greatly noticeable.

Fernweh

Supporting Sponsor
braking

1 gwagon. rear drums? built with body armor? nooooo problem for those front calips.

Rear drums? that was before the war:victory:

Now: disk brake front & rear, ABS, BAS, ESP = Ausgezeichnet!

5109877.jpg

burquedoka

Adventurer
I know no specs, but I can say never have I stopped and thought to myself that my G's turning radius was an issue, on or off road, and I religiously use it on tight S.W.ern trails. It should not be a deterrent to your decision process.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Tight SW trails seem WIDE open compared to the forrest's here in the NW (sometimes... I've certainly seen some tight rock squeezes out there)... Plus you can drive over rocks alot easier then old-groth timber ;) (not to say wheeling in the SW is easy or unchallenging, it's just very differnt up here for sure) Imagine if all those trails and rock down there were covered in a liberal coating of wd-40 and some never-ending goo that cloged your tires etc. That's the NW for ya HHAHAHAHA

I'm really interested to see these beasts in action here in the slippery tangled trails I'm used to.

Thanks for all the good reponce's folks. Hopefully it'll help the OP out in his search a bit eh. Too Bad Mr. Brady is out exploring Mongolia (or is he back now :confused: )cause he sure has had nearly every truck under the sun so I'd be interested to hear his take on the G as well.

Cheers

Dave

Mack73

Adventurer
Yes I do appreciate everyones comments. Stats on paper are fine for comparison, but they mean jack in the real world.

I'm looking for a more luxury off-roader (I tainted her with the Audi and she won't accept anything less...oops)

So I'm down to a LR4, G-wagen or GX470.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior