out with the old in with the new

JRhetts

Adventurer
...I have said all along that going [the use existing units like Bigfoot campers] route saves so much time and effort to get going that it is desireable, .... I looked long and hard at going that route and would recommend it instaed of building it all myself, I, and probably many others under estimate the effort required to put a one off camper together and get it on the road.

Yves, I just read all 31 pages of your thread. You are absolutely correct!! Using an existing unit is way more efficient. But some of us [obviously, specifically you and I] want it "our way." We have very specific ideas and desires, and some of us even want an outlet for what feel like talents trying to get out, seeking to express themselves.

After two pre-made units designed and built by someone else's ideas, my wife and I could not find a new box. We began emptying the box we found on New Years Eve 2009, began construction in mid-January 2010, and moved in full time in mid-May 2010.

So, I admire what you have done, both your design and your construction. Really nice job!!! You may even have motivated me to seriously consider posting my build here sometime in the future — just too busy traveling to do it now.

Some Random Comments:

I would love to have a simple lifting roof like yours, for wind resistence, shipping, and security.

My heating system is very similar to yours: two heat sources [engine and Esbar hydronic unit], Isotemp heat exchanger (we had multiple gasket failures in two previous rigs, so I oriented mine so I can get at the gasket easily), and fan-driven radiators for very even and non-drying heat]. It has worked VERY well for us, providing sufficient even and comfortable heat at -11°F.

I used 100% LED lighting - we have 24 separate light fixtures inside and out; when all are on at max, we are drawing 2.4 amps. Very energy efficient.

We have a pass-through and a tilting cab; Darren Fink came up with a simple and very effective design. We use it all the time — at least once per day when traveling — and think it invaluable. [Ability to leave in the night if threatened being the LEAST important use to us.] We have a simple plug for temp control and privacy; we also have a 10 gauge stainless sliding panel that could not be kicked or cut out for security when shipping.

Thanks so much for sharing your excellent design and fabrication [even your Alum welds are a hell of a lot better than mine!!]

John

Last edited:

sarconcepts

Adventurer
we all feel for you both because we've all had great friends like Mako that made our trips more enjoyable.
she had beautiful insightful eyes,
she inspires me to start a thread dedicated to all of our dogs, both with & no longer with us.
I think 'fireside chat' is the right place for that.. ..

westyss

Explorer
Yves, I just read all 31 pages of your thread. You are absolutely correct!! Using an existing unit is way more efficient. But some of us [obviously, specifically you and I] want it "our way." We have very specific ideas and desires, and some of us even want an outlet for what feel like talents trying to get out, seeking to express themselves.

After two pre-made units designed and built by someone else's ideas, my wife and I could not find a new box. We began emptying the box we found on New Years Eve 2009, began construction in mid-January 2010, and moved in full time in mid-May 2010.

So, I admire what you have done, both your design and your construction. Really nice job!!! You may even have motivated me to seriously consider posting my build here sometime in the future — just too busy traveling to do it now.

Some Random Comments:

I would love to have a simple lifting roof like yours, for wind resistence, shipping, and security.

My heating system is very similar to yours: two heat sources [engine and Esbar hydronic unit], Isotemp heat exchanger (we had multiple gasket failures in two previous rigs, so I oriented mine so I can get at the gasket easily), and fan-driven radiators for very even and non-drying heat]. It has worked VERY well for us, providing sufficient even and comfortable heat at -11°F.

I used 100% LED lighting - we have 24 separate light fixtures inside and out; when all are on at max, we are drawing 2.4 amps. Very energy efficient.

We have a pass-through and a tilting cab; Darren Fink came up with a simple and very effective design. We use it all the time — at least once per day when traveling — and think it invaluable. [Ability to leave in the night if threatened being the LEAST important use to us.] We have a simple plug for temp control and privacy; we also have a 10 gauge stainless sliding panel that could not be kicked or cut out for security when shipping.

Thanks so much for sharing your excellent design and fabrication [even your Alum welds are a hell of a lot better than mine!!]

John

Thanks again John, and I sure would like to motivate you to post more about your rig as I am sure many would.

westyss

Explorer
Here's a few shots from our summer travels.

Little Big Bar rec site. BC
DSCF4838.JPG

MacIntyre Lake rec site.BC
DSCF3408.JPG

Sheep Junction Provincial park.BC
DSCF3450.JPG

Farwell canyon.BC
DSCF3469.JPG

Churn Creek, along the Fraser river.BC
DSCF5265.JPG

Near Merritt.BC
DSCF3559.JPG

Nahatlatch Provincial Park.BC
DSCF3618.JPG

Cabin Lake.BC
DSCF3798.JPG

westyss

Explorer
Last weekend I got together with a group of people from Overland Canada and drove the Whipsaw Trail in BC.
Link to what Expo says about Whipsaw. http://www.expeditionportal.com/overlandroutes/index.php?title=Whipsaw_Trail
I was hesitant to go but after some assurances from a few guys that have run it before thinking that I could get through there was all I needed to give it a try, I could always turn around if it looked bad, well along the way after passing some broken down jeep and a few other carcass remnants of other vehicles not making it and dropping down a few rock ledges I started to see that I was committed, in more ways than one! It turned out to be a great weekend and had a great time even though it was a bit stressful worrying about getting out of there but all was good.

The truck performed very well, the limited slip diff works good, and I’m happy with the clearance, only thing that was a bit of an issue were the under body boxes where we had to build up a few rock ramps to get over.

Keeping in mind that this truck is not a wheeling rig but a camping, overlanding rig I would say that it has exceeded my wants and expectations and has passed the test!
Link to the trip report with more pictures: http://www.overlandcanada.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2244

Here’s a few shots that others took as I had no camera the whole weekend

whipsaw%u002525202012%25201%2520120.jpg

whipsaw%u002525202012%25201%2520121.jpg

whipsaw%u002525202012%25201%2520122.jpg

whipsaw%u002525202012%25201%2520113.jpg

whipsaw%u002525202012%25201%2520108.JPG

whipsaw%u002525202012%25201%252080.JPG

whipsaw%u002525202012%25201%252076.JPG

whipsaw%u002525202012%25201%252034.JPG

whipsaw%u002525202012%25201%252036.JPG

whipsaw%u002525202012%25201%252025.JPG

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Awesome! Next stop - Dakar!

How did it feel power-wise? I.e., did it ever feel underpowered?

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I was reading this on Overland Canada... the Whipsaw in a Moving Van!! lol I love this rig, and it is apparently very capable.
:)

westyss

Explorer
Awesome! Next stop - Dakar!

How did it feel power-wise? I.e., did it ever feel underpowered?

The truck needs to be driven in a different manner than I am used to, here's what works for me: Most of the trail driving is done in low range, this allows me to shift easier in the low gears, when not in low gear going from second gear to first on the move isnt possible, I have to stop then shift into first low. being in low gear all the time makes selecting the right gear easier for me.
Any obstacles or steep sections with rock ledges are done in first gear low, in this gear the torque is what keeps you going, even at idle, so if the trail is rough and a big ledge, just idle up it, if its a longer run and more speed is needed then my engine idle speed control is used to get the RPM's up a little higher, the idle control only works in first gear low range, having a constant power set is much smoother than having my foot on the accelerator, with my foot on the accelerator pedal if I hit a bump my foot presses down on the accel pedal and makes the truck lurch.
So to answer your question, it never felt underpowered at all on the trail, but those long uphill climbs on the freeway it does.

No dakar or any other tough trails for this rig, I needed to see what it could do with some other vehicles around to help out if needed, but I have to say I am impressed with its ability on the trails, and dont forget that once at camp I had all the comforts of home!

scubagai

Observer
Howdy....your rig is beautiful. I am putting a camper on my fg and was wondering if you still had "extra" dometic windows?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94