out with the old in with the new

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
Wow... This rig is AMAZING. Incredible work! Thank you for documenting it and sharing it all. So awesome.. :D Keep it up!

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Wow... This rig is AMAZING. Incredible work! Thank you for documenting it and sharing it all. So awesome.. :D Keep it up!

Speaking of...

Are you finished with the interior then, have you finally settled on how the entire thing will be inside, or are you considering another change with it?

Regards,

westyss

Explorer
Speaking of...

Are you finished with the interior then, have you finally settled on how the entire thing will be inside, or are you considering another change with it?

Regards,

Nope, interior is not finished yet, havent done anything major since the last post about the interior, so many of the systems need to be installed or hooked up and I havent decided on what to use for drawer fronts yet, anyone with ideas? The overall design for the interior hasn't changed much just a few tweeks here and there, we do have another option for the bed that arose when we were just using the camper as a bedroom and that was to make it a bigger bed and sleep north/south, king size sheets worked in this setup with a little slop. The bathroom area needs to be completed too. My guess is there will always be stuff to do but I like having options and am open to changes if they are not too drastic. The overall design works well for us and we havent thought of any changes needed. It is still evolving though.

Abitibi

Explorer
I'm a bit late catching up with your progress Westyss but having done the Whipsaw on a few occasions I have to say I'm Very (with capital V) impressed you ventured out there and made it so "gracefully"! I would have loved to join you guys to see this beast in action! Seems like you dialed your suspension quite right, amazing flex for such a large truck...

Must have been a pretty tight fit at times, and I bet it was priceless to see the face of unaware drivers seeing you on that trail!!!

Well done, keep enjoying!!!

Cheers,
Mr. D

westyss

Explorer
I'm a bit late catching up with your progress Westyss but having done the Whipsaw on a few occasions I have to say I'm Very (with capital V) impressed you ventured out there and made it so "gracefully"! I would have loved to join you guys to see this beast in action! Seems like you dialed your suspension quite right, amazing flex for such a large truck...

Must have been a pretty tight fit at times, and I bet it was priceless to see the face of unaware drivers seeing you on that trail!!!

Well done, keep enjoying!!!

Cheers,
Mr. D

Hey thanks Mr. D!
It was a fun weekend and yes it was a bit tight through there, I spent allot of the time in the lower tree branches and while there I did notice some markings on the branches from something bigger than me going through, I found out it was the BC 4x4 group with a mog and Duece tagging along, they passed through a couple of weeks earlier. I did have a bit of damage, I forgot to lower my radio antenae and it bent, looks like a limb riser now, one tight spot everyone was watching the boxes and steps but I tagged a tree root with my left turn signal, the root poked a hole in the lens and the support brackets broke off so the whole unit fell out and was hanging by the wires, my spotter unplugged it and handed to me, it got taped on for the drive back and is still taped on there!!Lol...a piece of my awning ripped off but that is back on, lots of pin stripping down the sides and my Smart Light's motion detector got poked and that doesnt work now, I also had piles of dust in the cab that mixed with all the pine needles, branches and even a mushroom??... but thats what makes a good trip!! We need to get together again so you can show me your pictures of your last trip!
Cheers

Abitibi

Explorer
Good on you for taking those "trophies" with a grin! And save that mushroom! lol

Sounds good, let's get in touch whenever we are in one of our neighbourhood...

Cheers!
Mr. D

HowardH

Adventurer
Hello what a great build thanks for posting.

A question. It appears from the pictures that the camper has only three smallish windows mounted high. Do you wish you had better views and are the windows low enough to see out when seated?

westyss

Explorer
Hello what a great build thanks for posting.

A question. It appears from the pictures that the camper has only three smallish windows mounted high. Do you wish you had better views and are the windows low enough to see out when seated?

Hi, thanks and you are welcome...........no there are 4 windows, when I was trying to decide on the size of the windows I went to my westfalia and sat in there for a while and felt that they were a good size, I did make them taller and wider than the westy's though, there are two in the kitchen and one on each side in the dinnette area. Also have the door window and the vent.
They are low enough to see out of when sitting but at the kitchen you will stoop a little to see out to the horizon, the views are fine and when we are inside we are mostly sleeping or sitting at the table, most of our time is spent outside, that is the main "living room" with great views!

wonderingsol

Amazing work Westyss! I've got a question for you about your frame mounts. Any chance I could get a little more in depth write up on how your mounting system works. Also How has it held up? any distorsion and damage after the offroading? I've researched a lot and it seems most folks are looking into the pivot frame design but i like you method it looks much more simple. Have you had any problems with the Forward/Back preventer or the side load preventer? I assume that there is a side load preventer on both sides? Thanks and kudos to you for the detail and extent of your craftmenship.

After looking closer I guess one of my main questions is in the front to back preventer picture why does it seem that the space/gap appears to be 1-2 inches and in other photos the gap looks more like 4 inches as you stated?

Last edited:

westyss

Explorer
Amazing work Westyss! I've got a question for you about your frame mounts. Any chance I could get a little more in depth write up on how your mounting system works. Also How has it held up? any distorsion and damage after the offroading? I've researched a lot and it seems most folks are looking into the pivot frame design but i like you method it looks much more simple. Have you had any problems with the Forward/Back preventer or the side load preventer? I assume that there is a side load preventer on both sides? Thanks and kudos to you for the detail and extent of your craftmenship.

After looking closer I guess one of my main questions is in the front to back preventer picture why does it seem that the space/gap appears to be 1-2 inches and in other photos the gap looks more like 4 inches as you stated?

Thanks wonderingsol,
My frame mount method I would say is a bit antiquated, there wasnt as much information available when I did that and new info has been brought to light and I cant say that my way is better and I would probably most likely do it different if I was doing it again. I designed my mount system to closely resemble one that I saw on a dump body so that is why there are some side preventers etc. That is not to say I am unhappy with it, I am completely satisfied with the way I mounted the deck, I found it easy to do and easy to look after and adjust if needed (Have needed to adjust) So far there is no sign of wear or damage, nothing to really damage on it, except when last year I had an accident with my truck and the right front bracket bent and I had to build it up to repair it, the accident was a pretty bad one, I got tossed around real good and went for a real ride! I thought that the whole camper would be wrecked and ripped off of the truck but the only damage to the mount system was that one mount, it all held together well, I did have some other damage but that was from hitting a concrete exposed manhole pipe and a fire hydrant, the front bumper and camper body took the brunt of that, I thought I posted pics of that but looking back into the thread I see that I didnt.
So any way, instead of answering your particular questions I will instead guide you to a good site to see how I would do it now, this is skifreak's site from on this forum and is an interesting site with some good info and articles in it, if you feel like you still want info on my system then I will gladly answer your questions.
http://canter4x4.com/technical/building-a-subframe-system-p1/

Yves

HowardH

Adventurer
In looking at the pictures of his sub frame build I have a couple of questions.

RHS was used running front to back on top of the frame. It appears they were sized to allow the sub frame’s finished height to be constant through the step up of the frame.

Then RHS was placed perpendicular on top of those members.

Are the front to back RHS really needed? Lets say the step up height is 12 inches. It looks like the SHS used on the step up portion is 2”x2” or there about.

So if you were able to eliminate the front to back, sitting on top of the frame, RHS you would need 14” high RHS running perpendicular to the truck frame. Each one of these, six were used, could have it’s own spring clamps holding it to the truck frame.

The advantage I see to this is that you would have several open storage spaces 14” high below your camper floor and running full length left to right.

Hopefully I have explained it well enough to understand what I am saying.

I would be interested in thoughts on the idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles