out with the old in with the new

HowardH

Adventurer
Not wishing to hijack Westyss' build thread, I have responded to your questions via email. :)

Thank you very much. This is all new to me and so much to learn. Thanks for helping.

BTW I have looked and not found a drawing showing the height of the step up in the frame. With it only being as you said, about 8", then no real storage space to be obtained anyway.

westyss

Explorer
Thank you very much. This is all new to me and so much to learn. Thanks for helping.

BTW I have looked and not found a drawing showing the height of the step up in the frame. With it only being as you said, about 8", then no real storage space to be obtained anyway.

If I remember right the step up in the frame was very close to 6", Owen, I wouldn't mind if you posted up your response on here, I would like to read what you had to say.

Howard, keep in mind that if there were to be storage boxes mounted under the cabin that they would need adequate space to accommadate the movement difference between cabin and frame, also that the overall height of the camper will start to get pretty tall. For me I worked very hard at keeping the overall height as low as possible as that was the main task on my build, and to do that many compromises were needed. The fuel consumption will rise with more frontal area drag caused by a tall camper and I am cheap and hate to spend my hard earned cash on intangible fuel.

HowardH

Adventurer
If I remember right the step up in the frame was very close to 6", Owen, I wouldn't mind if you posted up your response on here, I would like to read what you had to say.

Howard, keep in mind that if there were to be storage boxes mounted under the cabin that they would need adequate space to accommodate the movement difference between cabin and frame, also that the overall height of the camper will start to get pretty tall. For me I worked very hard at keeping the overall height as low as possible as that was the main task on my build, and to do that many compromises were needed. The fuel consumption will rise with more frontal area drag caused by a tall camper and I am cheap and hate to spend my hard earned cash on intangible fuel.

I don't think either of those apply with this frame style. The "movement" space is already accounted for in the spring clamps. Also I am not proposing raising the camper height at all. Simply considering the possibility of redesigning it to free up existing empty space to be more useful storage space. At an only 6" step up there isn't enough space. It appeared to be much higher in the pictures.

Found it. 6.69 inches. Not that much really.

Last edited:

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
6" of space can be HUGE depending on where you want it. IE if you do under floor storage right down the main hall of the camper, you can put in a nice 4" deep storage area which could easily house canned goods, extra bedding, blankets, all of your clothing on the trip, whatever you would like. That is a ton of space that would otherwise be lost. If I am ever able to build a vehicle such as Westyss' I will most certainly put in under floor storage! (obviously be aware that things will fall through the cracks, so, you will want to seal it somehow from sand if you plan to put your clothing in there, for obvious reasons.)

westyss

Explorer
Installed the Espar diesel boiler onto the truck and plumbed the heaters and calorifier. It took longer than expected and was a slow go.

It is hooked up to the truck coolant system providing heat and hot water while the truck is running and making it so the Espar can pre-heat the engine if for some crazy reason we are somewhere really cold! And obviously the Espar boiler flows coolant through all the heaters and calorifier

This is the manifold I made to switch the coolant flow to bypass the camper fixtures and return back to the engine, the aluminum bar has slots in it to just the right length to prevent both valves from being closed at the same time.
DSCF3813.JPG

Espar mounted off a lateral deck support, I had made a box for it a while back to practice some welding but it was way too big so it was cut down and re done.
DSCF3824.JPG

Fuel line tap into the main tank, would it be normal to have an inline fuel filter in this line? the plastic line has an ID diameter of less than a millimeter!
DSCF3825.JPG

Manifold mounted behind the air cleaner, the valves are in the position to have full coolant flow through the camper.
DSCF3826.JPG

All the hose is wrapped, from the Espar rearward I used a neoprene type of exterior wrap I found at home depot, at the front I still have the very porous foam wrap and will most likely swap it out for the neoprene stuff. These are the hose runs that go up into the sliding BBQ area.
DSCF3821.JPG

Here they are, ball valves are to regulate the flow between the fixtures, the calorifier being the highest point in the system needs the most flow.
DSCF3810.JPG

Box lid shortened and ready to go on.
DSCF3820.JPG

Espar seven day timer, I still have the challenge of wiring up a thermostat with it.
DSCF3893.JPG

The Espar is wired to run off the camper batteries, its wired to a bus bar inside the camper with a fuse at the bus bar.

Tested and runs well, sounds a bit like a jet taking off in high mode but quiets down in low, with the heater fans on the camper heats up pretty fast but not sure about the water heater yet. Lid on and mostly finished.
DSCF3887.JPG

Last edited:

Abitibi

Explorer
Nicely done!

What are you using to radiate the heat inside? My good friend Felix mounted his Espar D4 in a similar set up as yours and ended up using a small radiator from Princess Auto coupled with this type of fan as they were quieter than those found locally:
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=12&lng=en

I've been looking on eBay for a D5, they have them in Langley for around $1050 new, did you have better luck finding yours?

Merry Xmas!

Cheers
Mr. D

westyss

Explorer
Nicely done!

What are you using to radiate the heat inside? My good friend Felix mounted his Espar D4 in a similar set up as yours and ended up using a small radiator from Princess Auto coupled with this type of fan as they were quieter than those found locally:
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=12&lng=en

I've been looking on eBay for a D5, they have them in Langley for around $1050 new, did you have better luck finding yours?

Merry Xmas!

Cheers
Mr. D

Hey Mr.D,

Merry Xmass and happy new year!

There are two small radiator boxes with muffin fans mounted inside the camper, one above the catalytic heater and the other in pointing into the bathroom, they throw good heat!
I bought my D5 from guy in Ontario for around $900, full kit with everything needed, you have to specify if you want the fuel pump inside the unit or outside.

fluffyprinceton

Adventurer
"would it be normal to have an inline fuel filter in this line?"
There is a screen filter built into the fuel pump - but I could swear mine came with this inline one. In any case I'd much rather deal with a fouled see-FusoEsparFuelFilterWEB.jpgthrough filter than take the pump apart.

If you don't have a muffler installed I'd consider it - it helps quite a bit, without it the noise is in the quiet generator range. Simple install.

Got mine from Pacific Power Products in Oregon - cheapest at the time...Moe

westyss

Explorer
"would it be normal to have an inline fuel filter in this line?"
There is a screen filter built into the fuel pump - but I could swear mine came with this inline one. In any case I'd much rather deal with a fouled see-View attachment 137324through filter than take the pump apart.

If you don't have a muffler installed I'd consider it - it helps quite a bit, without it the noise is in the quiet generator range. Simple install.

Got mine from Pacific Power Products in Oregon - cheapest at the time...Moe

I think I will put a filter on my line too, and a muffler, for sure a muffler, mine is pretty loud!

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
X2

LOVE IT. When are you going to start selling these things!? Just do it exactly like you have, people would buy them... haha I know I know, I am just attempting to pay you a compliment. I love the truck, thanks for the continued updates.

westyss

Explorer
Thanks for the comments gents! I just got back home from vacation and am putting together a new post on what I have been up to, some big changes for the rig! The write up is in Editing right now and its a bit of an epic saga that is sure to bore, along with a few pics. It involves the roof, heat, solar and a few other things........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier