out with the old in with the new

FSH00

Thanks for sharing

Thats a great build 'Westyss'.
Thanks for sharing it with all of us.
I am looking at doing the same thing 'flatbed' but without the camper 'towing a van'.
Your tray looks realy good and just what i'm after.
Would you have any idea of the material sizes used in its constuction,if so are you willing to share?
Don't trouble yourself if there not at hand.
Oh and how is the fishing going :REOutIceFishing:

Thanks,
Pete.

westyss

Explorer
FSOO, If I can remember right, the deck frame was made up of 2x4x 1/8 al.
with some formed outside 90' that are 3/8. The top is 1/8. All Aluminum. I believe the total weight came in at around 1200lb's.
And the fishing is done here in Canada, unless you go ice fishing but i'm a wimp with the cold so i'm done.:(

Lynn

Expedition Leader
That's a really cool rig you got goin' there.

I really like your tape and velcro idea for mounting the cabinetry and stuff. For some I have a hard time convincing myself that it will hold up, even though I know that modern tape is incredible. For example, as you may know, Rob Gray described using industrial double-sided tape to attach the aluminum skin on Wot2, and he said that if you don't get it right the first time, your out of luck. It's permanent...

You should put a few pix in the Mitsu Camper Examples thread.

Your camper is almost exactly what I hope to build some day, except a little bigger, on a crew cab, with more rise to the top (or should I say more drop? I want it to fit in an ISO container like the Goanna Tracks rigs but hard-sided like yours).

I know you mentioned you wanted good insulation for cold climes, but, obviously, good insulation (completely hard-sided) would serve us well for a beach camper here in TX, as well.

Love it.

Good job.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
And the fishing is done here in Canada, unless you go ice fishing but i'm a wimp with the cold so i'm done.:(

You mentioned camper jacks. Just rig up some skis on the jacks and cut an access hole in the floor of your camper. Viola', worlds most comfy ice fishing hut.

:victory:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I know you mentioned you wanted good insulation for cold climes, but, obviously, good insulation (completely hard-sided) would serve us well for a beach camper here in TX, as well.

Speaking of which...what is the insulation value of that material?

nat

Adventurer
That is reaflly sweet! Very very nicely done.

I am also interested in more info about your honeycomb material. Was there an R value listed for it?

westyss

Explorer
DWH,
The manufacturer stated around R7 per inch for the composit, I have heard more, it does have high density polyurathane foam filled cells, I have found it very good, I originally had a mr heater that had 18000btu's that was just too much heat and got rid of that and now use a little 3000btu catalytic unit with some windows open and the roof vent open a crack and during this weekends -5C snow storm it was balmy in the camper. Again Im coming from a westy so anything is an improvement, I had a propex 9000btu propane heater in my westy and that thing was great, I am looking at a hydronic system for this camper as we do alot of winter camping, needless to say, the hard sides are just soooo much better than the westies, we would have to put the top down all the time for winds or if it got too cold and with the new camper we dont even worry about any of that.

westyss

Explorer
You mentioned camper jacks. Just rig up some skis on the jacks and cut an access hole in the floor of your camper. Viola', worlds most comfy ice fishing hut.

funny you would say that, I just watched a fishing show this weekend and they had a tracked snow machine with a couple of openings in the floor for ice fishing, it looked like it was all made for ice fishing, nicely laid out inside so its been done already. They were pulling out some small fish called "crappies", not my thing, but cool rig. I think it was called" sno bug"

westyss

Explorer
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uekcCsc3sM"]YouTube - Bob Izumi REAL FISHING BOB IZUMI JAN 30 2009[/ame]

here it is , Bob Izumi ice fishing

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Heh. I know the Westy. I have a good Westy camping story...

After the Northridge Quake

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Northridge_earthquake

A was the epicenter, B was our house.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...067,-118.461971&sspn=0.067143,0.169086&num=10

My son and I setup camp in the driveway in our Westy.

No power, everyone had to shut off their gas until the gas co. could do inspections. Most of the neighbors on our block ended up bringing patio chairs and food and hanging out at our "base camp" so they could use the Coleman stove and mooch a cuppa from my giant sized coffee pot

http://www.jaxmercantile.com/product.php?productid=74361&cat=739&page=1

We camped out there for 3 days until we got the all clear over the radio to go back inside.

greg mgm

Explorer
I lived at Corbin and Chase at the time. We stayed in our truck camper.
Actually we were in Sequoia Nat'l Park during the quake so we didn't have to deal with the house wobbling around!

Hijack over.......carry on!

VicHanson

Adventurer
Westyss,

Great job on your camper, it really looks nice! Did your truck have a box on it when you bought it? I am just wondering what the difference in fuel economy would be with the camper lowered vs raised? With my Isuzu I can get 15 mpg if I stay at 55 mph, anything above that, or with a head wind, and it drops down to as low to 13 - 14. My first trip with the standard cargo box I think I got about 11.5 mpg at 65 mph. Without the box I got as high as 18 in city/suburb driving, but it sure did ride rough. Never took it on the highway in that condition. I never have weighed it, but like you, I'm sure I overbuilt it just to make sure it was solid enough. It rides smooth though! I'll bet you get lots of gratifying comments on it!

Welcome to the 'club'. ie "Is that a camper or what?!?" "I've never seen one like it!" "Did you make it?"
Vic

nat

Adventurer
Westyss,

Great job on your camper, it really looks nice! Did your truck have a box on it when you bought it? I am just wondering what the difference in fuel economy would be with the camper lowered vs raised? With my Isuzu I can get 15 mpg if I stay at 55 mph, anything above that, or with a head wind, and it drops down to as low to 13 - 14. My first trip with the standard cargo box I think I got about 11.5 mpg at 65 mph. Without the box I got as high as 18 in city/suburb driving, but it sure did ride rough. Never took it on the highway in that condition. I never have weighed it, but like you, I'm sure I overbuilt it just to make sure it was solid enough. It rides smooth though! I'll bet you get lots of gratifying comments on it!

Welcome to the 'club'. ie "Is that a camper or what?!?" "I've never seen one like it!" "Did you make it?"
Vic

It must be a diesel, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles