Thread: out with the old in with the new

Cool, did you research building a water tank w/ epoxy first? It's not approved under regs from what I've read since no one has studied the long term affects of whether anything will leach but there are some recommendations none the less if you decide to do it to keep folks safer. IE: Make the last coats slightly resin rich (less harmful than the hardener, trying to make sure all hardener reacts), make sure the surface is smooth inside to avoid hard to clean areas for crap to cling/grow, post cure the tank at a elevated temp such at 120-140F+ (use a space heater or such), scrub the cured surfaces with a dish scour pad/soap&water to take off any water soluble blush, etc.

Sorta late comments if not but you can get back into your take since it's a removable lid if you're concerned with anything, just trying to pass on what I've read in the past for your reference and anyone else out there.
    GONE[2003 Dodge 1500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto w/ ride rite air springs and 1999(2000?) Hawk]

2007 Dodge 2500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto soon to have: SLOWLY progressing Home built foam core fiberglass skin pop-up camper

I've got extra 14ga red and black SXL wire, $18 for 100' coil shipped if interested PM me.

I did research it and your list is a good one, I also heard that a vinegar/water solution also help's, but like you stated its the hardener that's the main concern. So the best way is heat and proper mixture,the West System states that you shouldn't change the hardener/ resin ratio. Proper filters are an obvious one too.

Quote Originally Posted by pods8 View Post
    Cool, did you research building a water tank w/ epoxy first? It's not approved under regs from what I've read since no one has studied the long term affects of whether anything will leach but there are some recommendations none the less if you decide to do it to keep folks safer. IE: Make the last coats slightly resin rich (less harmful than the hardener, trying to make sure all hardener reacts), make sure the surface is smooth inside to avoid hard to clean areas for crap to cling/grow, post cure the tank at a elevated temp such at 120-140F+ (use a space heater or such), scrub the cured surfaces with a dish scour pad/soap&water to take off any water soluble blush, etc.

Sorta late comments if not but you can get back into your take since it's a removable lid if you're concerned with anything, just trying to pass on what I've read in the past for your reference and anyone else out there.

Next up is the unit I call "Heat Corner" or HC for short.

Here HC sits in pieces having been prepped up with epoxy eagerly awaiting assembly!

Here HC is mostly assembled

with strategic orifices

aligned with one of HC's heating units.

All plumbed up.

At home with fellow heat unit trying his spot out.

Quote Originally Posted by Overland Hadley View Post
    What a great way to make a gasket. Never thought of doing it that way, thanks for the idea.
    Yep, I used to do that on my oil pan on my suby powered westy too, works well.

Quote Originally Posted by westyss View Post
    I did research it and your list is a good one, I also heard that a vinegar/water solution also help's, but like you stated its the hardener that's the main concern. So the best way is heat and proper mixture,the West System states that you shouldn't change the hardener/ resin ratio. Proper filters are an obvious one too.
    FYI: West System has an article on it and does give slight resin rich ratios for their products for this use: http://www.westsystem.com/ss/wood-ep...nk-guidelines/

Carefully metered resin/hardener ratio is critical to any epoxy's performance. In all projects, with one exception, we recommend dispensing and mixing epoxy at the target ratio within our acceptable range. Tank building is the exception to the rule. When mixing epoxy for tank coatings, we recommend a resin-rich/ hardener-lean mixture at the outer limits of the acceptable range as shown in Table 1.

This is because excess resin in epoxy is less likely to adversely affect the physical properties of cured epoxy than excess hardener. When excess hardener is in the epoxy matrix, it cannot fully react with the resin and will become suspended in the mixture. Because amines (in the hardeners) are water soluble, they can potentially leach out and cause odd tastes, contaminates in the liquid, and porosity in the epoxy film, among other performance defects. The maximum resin-rich ratios noted in Table 1 are at the end of acceptable ranges for WEST SYSTEMŽ epoxy. These ratios should not be taken any farther from the target. These maximum resin-rich ratios meet specification to obtain a properly cured epoxy film and to minimize extracts leaching out of the epoxy.
    GONE[2003 Dodge 1500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto w/ ride rite air springs and 1999(2000?) Hawk]

2007 Dodge 2500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto soon to have: SLOWLY progressing Home built foam core fiberglass skin pop-up camper

I've got extra 14ga red and black SXL wire, $18 for 100' coil shipped if interested PM me.

That article was the deciding factor to make a tank with epoxy,
    I read between the lines when legally they state they don't recommend their system for water tanks but when you do make a tank do this............................... to make it better, haha! I am more worried about breathing our polluted air than making a tank from epoxy.

Another thing that needed to be finalized was the step storage.

Shoe storage in here.

Its deep and big enough for more than shoes.

This panel will be removable,,,

to access the pump, filter and expansion tank. What a crappy pic!

Then took it all out and strengthened it a bit and gave it all an epoxy coat to tide it over until I can decide what will go on top of the step and the front.

Started to have a look how the bed frame was going to be made, decided to make it in three sections, easily removable if needed.

Just have to start some where and go, drivers side done!

And the three sections all in place ready to be bolted together and screwed to the wall.

Pretty happy with how the bed frame came out, and got it done in a couple of hours too! I think I will install some lights for under the bed with a switch each side at the access doors. Next just look at it all for a bit before I lay the ply down on the frame, do anything that is easy now but hard later.

Looking good! I like the shoe storage area.
    Tacoma - For Extended Overland Travels
    2012 FWC - The TARDIS

Trip Reports - Travels with Hadley

-Nathanael
    Large Format Photography
    www.KuenzliPhotography.com

Wow,

I so love this build.
    That lift roof is just amazing! Sure am jealous if your build and skills.

Thanks again for sharing!
    "Do you know what a soldier is, young man? He's the chap who makes it possible for civilized folk to despise war." -Allan Massie

Bed frame was screwed to the walls and bolted together, next was to make up the extend a bed.

Weird picture here with all the reflections! Eerie.

This bit kicked my butt, everything I did I did twice! Funny how that goes, sometimes it goes well and sometimes its a struggle.

An aluminum frame on slides to extend the bed.

So the plan is to have several options for sleeping, one' with this bit extended and the other side already long you have two single beds, two, table lowered down with a cushion on top make our regular queen size bed, and if on a solo trip I can sleep in the large area ahead of the table and leave everything in its place.

Funny how my camera makes everything look bent or crooked.

Page 23 of 47 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast