out with the old in with the new

westyss

Explorer
That article was the deciding factor to make a tank with epoxy,
I read between the lines when legally they state they don't recommend their system for water tanks but when you do make a tank do this............................... to make it better, haha! I am more worried about breathing our polluted air than making a tank from epoxy.

westyss

Explorer
Another thing that needed to be finalized was the step storage.

DSCF2866.JPG

Shoe storage in here.
DSCF2868.JPG

Its deep and big enough for more than shoes.

DSCF2879.JPG

This panel will be removable,,,
DSCF2876.JPG

to access the pump, filter and expansion tank. What a crappy pic!
DSCF2877.JPG

Then took it all out and strengthened it a bit and gave it all an epoxy coat to tide it over until I can decide what will go on top of the step and the front.
DSCF2890.JPG

Started to have a look how the bed frame was going to be made, decided to make it in three sections, easily removable if needed.
DSCF2872.JPG

Just have to start some where and go, drivers side done!
DSCF2891.JPG

And the three sections all in place ready to be bolted together and screwed to the wall.
DSCF2893.JPG

Pretty happy with how the bed frame came out, and got it done in a couple of hours too! I think I will install some lights for under the bed with a switch each side at the access doors. Next just look at it all for a bit before I lay the ply down on the frame, do anything that is easy now but hard later.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Wow,

I so love this build.
That lift roof is just amazing! Sure am jealous if your build and skills.

Thanks again for sharing!

westyss

Explorer
Bed frame was screwed to the walls and bolted together, next was to make up the extend a bed.

DSCF2905.JPG

Weird picture here with all the reflections! Eerie.

DSCF2901.JPG

This bit kicked my butt, everything I did I did twice! Funny how that goes, sometimes it goes well and sometimes its a struggle.
DSCF2910.JPG

An aluminum frame on slides to extend the bed.
DSCF2921.JPG

DSCF2924.JPG

So the plan is to have several options for sleeping, one' with this bit extended and the other side already long you have two single beds, two, table lowered down with a cushion on top make our regular queen size bed, and if on a solo trip I can sleep in the large area ahead of the table and leave everything in its place.
DSCF2926.JPG

Funny how my camera makes everything look bent or crooked.
DSCF2928.JPG

westyss

Explorer
For those interested, SKIFREAK from this forum read of my plight of losing my early build thread pictures and kindly emailed the ones he saved out to me, even had numbers in order so was very easy to repost most of them, so for the most part they are back on there along with a larger account on PICASA, thanks Skifreak!

The build is slowly progressing, I am now installing the drawers which is agonizingly slow work but progress none the less.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
For those interested, SKIFREAK from this forum read of my plight of losing my early build thread pictures and kindly emailed the ones he saved out to me, even had numbers in order so was very easy to repost most of them, so for the most part they are back on there along with a larger account on PICASA, thanks Skifreak!

The build is slowly progressing, I am now installing the drawers which is agonizingly slow work but progress none the less.

THANK YOU WESTYSS AND SKIFREAK!! I am really grateful to see those photos!

regards,
Brian

westyss

Explorer
My truck had a friend over for a visit,

DSCF2941.JPG

DSCF2949.JPG

Work progressed at a good clip for a while, I started the slow process of mounting the slides and drawers in the kitchen.

DSCF2964.JPG

And checking the location of the sink.

DSCF2965.JPG

I was about to start installing these drawers when my back packed it in and put a halt to everything for a week!
DSCF2962.JPG

westyss

Explorer
Once I got back to work I started on the bed supports instead of finishing the drawers, they were the reason for screwing up my back so I was keeping a close eye on them.

DSCF2969.JPG

DSCF2971.JPG

After getting it cut and fitted it was removed and epoxy/screwed together and a coat of epoxy all over and set to dry.
DSCF2972.JPG

Next was the slide out bed extension, over the slides went a piece of 1/8" aluminum sheet with the screws counter sunk.
DSCF2975.JPG

They are counter sunk because that 3/8" piece of plywood in the background is going ontop.
DSCF2978.JPG

DSCF2980.JPG

Plywood screwed on and test run next.
DSCF2991.JPG

Pull out.
DSCF2984.JPG

All the way.
DSCF2988.JPG

Insert plywood = Single bed.
DSCF3011.JPG

Note: The plywood will be used as the base for one of the cushions and will be inside the upholstery.

westyss

Explorer
Looking good.

I HATE when that happens, sometimes its the littlest task that will take me out.

I was sitting on a milk crate and leaned forward to pick up a screw driver and pop! Flat on my back and could hardly breath for three days!! Slow getting back into it too.

haven

Expedition Leader
Not to highjack this thread, but I would very much like to learn more details about the Fuso with Bigfoot trailer as camper that came to visit.

Fuso-bigfoot.jpg

This reminds me of a newer version of Carl Hunter's Bigfoot, a camper that he built in 90 days, and drove around the world without mechanical incident. Carl lives in Vancouver, BC.

fuso-112.jpg

westyss

Explorer
Not to highjack this thread, but I would very much like to learn more details about the Fuso with Bigfoot trailer as camper that came to visit.

Fuso-bigfoot.jpg

This reminds me of a newer version of Carl Hunter's Bigfoot, a camper that he built in 90 days, and drove around the world without mechanical incident. Carl lives in Vancouver, BC.

fuso-112.jpg

Haven,
that belongs to biggoolies on this forum, and it should resemble Carl's because he has used that as an example and also had the same guy do the mounting, I believe he also had some communications with Carl too.

I have said all along that going this route saves so much time and effort to get going that it is desireable, and those bigfoot campers are a nice solid set up. I looked long and hard at going that route and would recommend it instaed of building it all myself, I, and probably many others under estimate the effort required to put a one off camper together and get it on the road.

pods8

Explorer
Haven,
I, and probably many others under estimate the effort required to put a one off camper together and get it on the road.

:snorkel:

I enjoy projects but yeah what you said. I'm looking forward to moving on from the structural construction myself and get into the finishing work... EVENTUALLY :p

Billhilly

Adventurer
Just be thankful you are both smarter than me! I'm not even going to tell you how many years ago I thought it would be a good idea to buy a rusty, worn out '72 GMC 4X4 truck to rebuild as a work/play vehicle. I'm now 'a number' of years into this project, multiple times over budget, and my two girls are now teenagers! I was elbow deep in rebuilding diff's and transfer cases I think, and told myself I'm not going to ever build a camper!
Then I saw Sonke's camper, then your's Westyss, and now your's Pods8. Hard sided pop up's would be perfect for NZ summers! So while my girls do homework in the evenings, I draw plans for our camper, on our unfinished truck. The girls think I should concentrate on finishing the truck first....
Keep up the great work guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles