Pirate McGee's 86 4runner

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
1986 Toyota 4runner
5spd
New 22re w/ hi flow head (new casting), port polish, OS in/ex valves, crane cam, hi flow oil pump, new clutch/alternator/starter. Pulls 18-24mpg
Brake system completey gone through
82 supra AFM
Flowmaster exhaust with no cat (bought it this way and it's love/hate)
factory rear sear delete panel
some stereo stuff
31x10.50 General Grabber at2's (excellent tire)
Modern Al wheels
Custom color paint job/stainless side guards
Yakima rack with custom gutter mounts/basket
Sr5 cluster
93 intake manifold & throttle body

Pics:

When I first bought it
DSCN3419.jpg

DSCN3423.jpg

DSCN3425.jpg

Making some changes:
DSCN2163.jpg

DSCN2164.jpg

DSCN2165.jpg

scott138.jpg

scott142.jpg

Last edited:
looks good. one suggestion fro you is where you bloted the rain gutter to teh rear of the roof i would put something more than washers to spread out the load of the rack a little better. maybe a retangular plate that has 2 holes in it to tie the bolts together and disperse the weight of th rack better. just a suggestion.

did you go with a reman motor or a local rebuild?

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
EWlcome welcome WELCOME mate... Glad to see another Oregonian and another 1st Gen to boot... I like your rims too eh ;) (I've got the sme ones on MY 1st Gen adn think they really compliment the truck nicely)

Cheers

Dave

CYi5

Explorer
Good call on the rectangular plates for the rack. Those plastic bumper corners go missing very easily don't they? :)

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I don't throw much weight on the rack (50lbs max) so it's strong enough. At the drill points the glass is as thick as it gets. The top is in rough shape anyways so if it cracks I'll have an excuse to get a soft top :) . The engine is a reman but with only the crank and block being reused....everthing else is new. The long block was built by Oregon Engine Rebuilders. If I did it over again there would be a 3rzfe under the hood and might still be in a couple of years if I keep this particular 4runner.

Where in Oregon do you live 4rescue?

the plastic bumper thing fell off somewhere.......who know's where lol

Last edited:

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Alright so I've finally finished the intake setup on my 86 4runner minus a bored TB.

First step was to remove all the unnecessary vacuum lines and swap to a late model air intake/tb (highly reccommend this mod it's great).
DSCN3550.jpg

DSCN3559.jpg

I then ran like this with the stock intake tube, afm, and airbox but the stock system did not flow enough for my modified engine. There was a definite lack of power at full throttle (i.e. going up hill) and I could tell that it was due to the intake (very familiar with these engines).

So I then swapped in a 82 supra AFM and a cheap spectre air filter. However, I knew the filter sucked and I did not have an airbox leaving the engine susceptible to water even from fairly shallow water crossings. Jump forward a bit and I ordered a K&N RU-2820 universal air filter ($40ish) and bought a intake kit off ebay minus the airfilter ($20). Doing this greatly improved the power and finally flowed enough for my engine but it still left me unprotected from water.

So I built an airbox out of 8" steel pipe and sheet metal.

Basically I took a 11"ish piece of 8" pipe and cut out 3 8" circles out of sheet metal.

I welded the fender side completely up and then drilled a 3" hole which I then mounted an Aluminum afm to 3" airfilter adapter to allow for attachment of future mods like running it into the fender or a snorkel. I also covered this opening with metal window screen to prevent mice from entering and reduce water splash velocity.

One the AFM side I welded one of the 8" circles to the 8" tube. I then cut a 6"ish hole out of the middle basically leaving a lip.

On the last 8"circle I traced out the AFM opening and cut it out. I then bolted the sheet metal between the AFM and the stock filter/tube adapter on 82 supra AFM's. I also cut up some vacuum line and created a seal.

I then built a mount and coated everything in some rubberized "paint" (it's already dirty)

Results:
DSCN3551.jpg

DSCN3558.jpg

DSCN3554.jpg

DSCN3553.jpg

DSCN3552.jpg

It was a lot of work but it turned out excellent and works awesome

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
ya, the damage multiplier was one of the first things to go.......funny thing is that some guy followed me to the gas station asking where I got it, I pulled it off the next day and sold it to him lol.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I usually just toss my jack behind my seat

The hitch is a custom piece, basically it is 1/2" steel welded up to the frame, it looks beefy. The stock chrome was then used to cover it all up.

Last edited:

corax

Explorer
made a low profile rack:
DSCN3541.jpg

Do you have any interior pics of the rear Yak false gutter mount? The front one looks simple enough, but did the previous owner use both mount bolts in the rear gutter with a hole in the interior "D" pillar fiberglass for bolt access or something else?

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Curious if you have a problem with it trying to stall at idle with the power steering idle up circuit plugged?
Any issues with the lager AFM throwing codes?
EGR missing throw codes?
Hard starts?

I have read that the intake off the 90's model is of better design and flows better. Something like 5hp I believe it was in Pirate4x4's Toyota Bible. You ever hear that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94