Talk to me...full suspension 26er versus a front shock only 29er

EMrider

Explorer
Just an opinion, and you know what they say about those............

I prefer a 5" travel full suspension bike. Extremely capable and versatile across a wide variety of riding conditions.

In the many pages sure to follow, I'm sure you'll learn a lot about the pros and cons of various bikes. It is good to have choices!
R

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Speaking within the most general of generalities, I think most would agree that for pure XC riding, the 29er is a great platform. It's also tough to get (or maybe need) much in the way of full suspension travel in a 29er, so I see where you're going with that 29er HT idea.

I think the best use of 26" wheels is with longer travel full suspension. So, in some ways, I think this boils down to your need for longer travel. For All Mountain or nutty aggressive XC riding that might be the way to go. For faster, smoother, carvier, longer, true XC I think a HT 29er is tough to beat. That's not just my humble opinion, I think it mirrors the reality of what you see in certain riding venues. I live in XC heaven. It's largely fast and smooth. The few aggressive features we have are easily dispatched on a HT 29er. When I go to Moab, I can easily use my HT 29er and have a blast, but if I lived in an area like that, I'd eventually want more boing and that would be on 26" wheels.

It's all about terrain and riding style.

fairweather

Observer
You really need one of each, Santa Cruz and a Superfly, but...

I have a RM Element with a Talas up front and a Fisher Superfly, when I am on the Superfly I think about selling the Element but when on the Element I never think about selling the Superfly.

The Superfly (29 HT) with high volume tubeless tires feels like it has 2-3" of travel in the back.

One very specific situation where the 29er excels is coming off of a drop whether it be a tree, rock or just steep vertical part that runs into a horizontal part. The 29er just rolls right through things where the 26er feels like it is going to put me over the bars. Something I never realized til I got the 29er.

For me who is kindof an old guy who doesn't like to fall off my bike the 29er feels more secure.

If you want to go as fast as possible down hill get a 5" travel 26er.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I'll second that feeling of rear wheel compliance that 29ers have. Feels very much like there's a modest amount of suspension back there, even on a HT. Others who like to nit-pick 29ers (once a popular hobby) will bring up wheel and fork stiffness, or lack there of. I've never had an issue with that. Just use a good fork and a good wheelset and you'll be fine.

I will also second the comment that those 29er wheels just roll better over certain features. This used to be the primary argument for full suspension. It was frequently preached that dual suspension allowed the wheels to roll over rough features better. I think 29ers do that job extremely well without the aid of complex suspension bits.

Much of this will boil down to what you want to ride. I go on tons of rides with guys on all sorts of bikes. We start and end at the same points and everyone seems to have equal fun. Having ridden around Park City many times, I'm more prone to thing a 29er HT would be pretty sweet.

FreeManDan

Adventurer
I have an 08 hifi delux, and my home trails are in the North Texas area. They are technical, kinda forces you to slow down and rock crawl, and in
the back of my mind I think the full suspension is ALMOST a luxury. But when I went to Arizona to ride, I did some fast and rough stuff that had me wishing for a rumblefish!

o0synge0o

Adventurer
I was contemplating this just the other day! Still haven't found anything very convincing either way and both seem to have great arguments for their config.

FreeManDan

Adventurer
rough_trail_large.jpg

Well I'm convinced...

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Mike, I haven't ridden any PC trails, but love my 29er hard tail SS for SLC trails. Let me know if you ever want to take her for a spin. (I am 5'11", so not sure if the bike i have will fit you).

But bigger = better in this case. :D Just like when you went from stock 31's to 33's (or are they 34's?) on your cruiser.

FreeManDan

Adventurer
I have to confess, I jumped on a 2011 paragon (29er hard tail), I've been on a 29er full suspension ever since 2003 when I got a Sugar 293, that's the bike I cut my teeth on and started honing the skills. Then got back into racing as an adult (having raced in the 90s as a teenager) and got myself a 2008 HiFi delux which I still have.
The 2011 paragon is 2.5cm shorter than my 08 HiFi delux, noticeably lighter (not sure how much), a little bit nimbler, and the 10 speed over the 9 speed is INSANE what I can do in middle chain ring. Quite a bit of performance gain with the new bike, but at a cost! I cant speed over the trails paved with fist sized rocks as well with the hard tail. There is a trail close to me that I have loved to ride since 03 that is just painful on a hard tail! But when I slow down and rock craw the more technical and difficult trails, there is little downside with the hard tail. The gearing range make it much more suited to the amount of torque and speed I like to use in the very technical rock garden. Also note, there is one rock garden with tight turns and LARGE obstacles to ride over where I tested the paragon, no one I know with who rides a 26'' wheel has ever made it through...I however, made it on my first try with the paragon.
There are race venues in Texas I could waist the night away describing, but in short, 90% of them I could or would take a hard tail 29er on, as they are smooth enough for it. Racers don't like the rock gardens, they are usually left out of the race corse...
I could have started my own thread about the bike, but I felt it was more pertinent to this debate then to just show off my new toy...
Allow me to sum up all that blaw blaw I just typed...
26 hard tail/soft tail: No good
29er hard tail: Good
29er soft tail: Better, if you go Crazy Places at high speeds...yes Crazy is capitalized.

fairweather

Observer
Good call.

I just found out another situation where the 29er excels: SAND! Just rode the White Rim and there is about 10-15 miles of sand,some of it very deep. My 29er with tubeless tires aired down to 18psi sailed through everything while my friend on a 26er with 25psi in tube tires was getting mired.

So far the 29er has outperformed the 26er in every situation, I was initially a 29er skeptic but am now an evangelical convert.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior