Thinking about an UZJ100...

nickt

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0009
Hi,
I've realised that my main expedition truck is 10 years old this year, not to mention stuck in the UK so I've been looking at 100's here in Denver. I've driven them in the mid-east a couple of times, and think they'd make a great expedition truck.

The biggest drawback I can see is the fuel-economy. I managed to get the light-on crossing the Wahiba Sands , and I just hate that.

I see that Long Ranger do aux tanks, but was really wondering if anyone has swapped out the 2UZ-FE for a 1HD-FTE (like the UK-spec Land Cruiser Amazon). I've not found much on the 'net.

Be interested to hear your stories!

Cheers,
Nick.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
The hundred series is a sweet rig!

Personally, I like the 80 series with the lockers, you could score a clean low mileage cruiser for WAY less than a newer 100.

Just a thought, both are outstanding rigs... I love the solid front axle of the 80's.

Rezarf <><

nickt

Yeah, I see enough 80's on and off the road to know they're a great truck so I've not completely ruled them out. And you're right about the price, maybe that is a good introduction to LC ownership for me.

I kinda like the IFS setup on the 100, I've not found it to be a hindrance anywhere I've been. Yet!

Cheers,
Nick.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I've not heard of a Hundy diesel swap yet, but there may be some out there. There's always then the ECU/tranny/tcase mating problem. It may cost as much as the vehicle itself to do the swap properly, and then you might as well go through an RI to get exactly what you want anyway.

The Hundies are very nice vehicles. When I drive the 100, then the 80 I feel like I'm stepping back in time. The 80 feels so...antiquated in comparison. I'm not a real big fan of IFS either, but I've seen IFS rigs do crazy things just like their live axled counterparts.

There are some minor faults I see with the 2UZ-FE other than the fact it's V-configured like having to remove intake manifold to get to the starter, a timing belt (not chain), small capacity oil filters, non-cyclonic air intake. Not related to the engine but there's also the rack&pinion steering. All of these I would think naught on an expedition vehicle. THAT SAID with the quality of today's vehciles, I've never heard of any of those items fail ``out there.''

The 2UZ-FE is smooth. Get the RPMs above 3500 and she feels like she's inducted. Torque curve is a little more car-like, but the 2UZ-FE has better wear numbers (from oil analysis) than my 1FZ-FE at the same mileage.

tacollie

Glamper
I missed a chance to get a 100 cheap and have been regreting it since. My brother has it and it is sick. The gas milage does suck, but my Tacoma is not much better and its smaller. If you watch around you can find good deals, but you have to be very patient. There was a 2001 on craigslist with 60k for $18000 a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully the market there is similar to ours. The motor is a great motor. My brothers has 188k miles and it burns no oil and the compression is perfect. I would get if you can afford it. The only real problem is there is not a lot of aftermarket marts.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
pskhaat said:
a timing belt (not chain)
In my research (not totally extensive) it seems that there's a reason for this. Interference engines that Toyota makes use belts because presumably it is absolutely critical that they get changed often, where as Toyota's positive clearance engines use chains or gears. So I do not think it's an overtly bad thing if an engine uses a belt, since it's a ton less invasive to change. Read that as not necessarily easy, just doesn't require you to open the engine's major seals, like dropping an oil pan, pulling a head, etc.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
pskhaat said:
The Hundies are very nice vehicles. When I drive the 100, then the 80 I feel like I'm stepping back in time. The 80 feels so...antiquated in comparison. I'm not a real big fan of IFS either, but I've seen IFS rigs do crazy things just like their live axled counterparts.

I totally agree with this statement. My brother has an 80 that I have spent a significant amount of time in and the ride in the 100 is definitely an improvement. I would venture to guess that the LX470 is even a smidge better than the LC. Compared to my old 60, its not even on the same planent!

If you haven't done so already visit http://www.sleeoffroad.com , they specialized in 80 and 100 series cruisers.

Forgot to mention Alan Podvin did put a Duramax into a 100 check it out... http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=115929&highlight=duramax

Last edited:

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Nick,

Since you are in Denver, I'd consider having any potential purchase inspected by Slee Off Road. They may even have a line on good used 100 series vehicles.

The 2UZ-FE 4.7L V8 is a wonderful motor. Mine runs like a champ with over 100k miles on the clock. I've not heard of a single timing belt failure in the 100 series forum, even though several members have not changed theirs at the recommended interval.

I get around 12-15mpg in mine.

My only complaint is crappy shock choices.

nickt

Thanks for all the tips guys. I won't rule out an 80. I'll also make a point of visiting Slee when I get back to Denver. That's when I get back from "test-driving" a 100 in the UAE desert! :)

Cheers,
Nick.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
For some reason I thought 100 series represented more of a move away from the traditional cruiser. They are tough and actually have more power and get better mileage than an 80 series. 80 series are great but nothing wrong with a 100 series at all.. That said your D90 with TDI seems like a hell of a vehicle to me. 10 years old or not...

Scott Brady

Founder
I have traveled a lot of miles with a 100 series. Awesome machines for overlanding in my book. They are not my first choice because of the cost associated with luxury appointments I do not need/want (and cost payload), but it is still a solid TLC under all of the leather and wood :)

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
I have traveled a lot of miles with a 100 series. Awesome machines for overlanding in my book. They are not my first choice because of the cost associated with luxury appointments I do not need/want (and cost payload), but it is still a solid TLC under all of the leather and wood :)

Exactly.

I'd love to have simple roll up windows and cloth seats but there are cold-ass-days where the seat warmer is appreciated by my buns.

I could do without some stuff, and may very well discard it when it breaks:D

I'll say this, it is nice to have the big SUV for moving!

rusty_tlc

Explorer
calamaridog said:
Exactly.

I'd love to have simple roll up windows and cloth seats but there are cold-ass-days where the seat warmer is appreciated by my buns.

I could do without some stuff, and may very well discard it when it breaks:D

I'll say this, it is nice to have the big SUV for moving!
I got the cloth seats and seat warmers:D
At first I was like"Yeah like I need bun warmers, right." Then one below freezing morning I switched mine on and life will never be the same. I wonder ho hard it would be to add seat warmers to my FJ40?

One big plus the 100 has is seating capacity. We were in SF last week with my BIL and his wife, more than enough room for all of us on road trips up to Bodega Bay and wine country. Probably enough room for four and their gear for a couple of days camping.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
rusty_tlc said:
I got the cloth seats and seat warmers:D
At first I was like"Yeah like I need bun warmers, right." Then one below freezing morning I switched mine on and life will never be the same. I wonder ho hard it would be to add seat warmers to my FJ40?

One big plus the 100 has is seating capacity. We were in SF last week with my BIL and his wife, more than enough room for all of us on road trips up to Bodega Bay and wine country. Probably enough room for four and their gear for a couple of days camping.

You can have most of the auto upholstery shops install seat heaters. I called the place over on Mill (east of Terminal) last week because Sandy was looking at a new vehicle that didn't offer them...it was about $300 per seat.; and I would imagine it would be less on a 40. Wheel the 40 by one of these shops for an estimate...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne