Best A/T Tire for My '08 Taco?

nater

Adventurer
Did the cooper S/T loose favor recently? I love mine! Quiet, excellent in mud, wears like iron... And cheap (comparatively)...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Guys,

Thanks for all of your responses! Regarding the BFG A/T's, I know they're a great tire, but I may be better off with an even less aggressive A/T. The only OH this truck will likely see is oversand and maintained trails on my land in VT. The price seems high as well. Through my wholesale connection they're $200 per tire right now. I definitely won't buy a ten ply for this truck as it's a compact. My F350 dually uses E's, I can't see why my run-around truck that I'm not loading heavily would need them.

That being the case, you might want to consider the BFG Rugged Trail. That was the stock tire on my '04 Taco and they worked great until I replaced them with Yokohama Geolander AT-Ss. 265/70/16 was also the stock size for my '04, my guess is it's the same on your truck.

From what I've seen the Rugged Trail is at least 25% less expensive than the AT/KO tire, but still with BFG quality.

Try Discount Tire, I think I saw them in 235/85/16 for less than $150 a tire, at least around here.

From my observation, 265/75/16 is actually a more common size than 265/70/16 so there is a wider variety of tires. The difference in size between a 265/70 and a 265/75 is negligible so you can easily run 265/75s without any fit issues.

Strizzo

Explorer
i just put a set of kumho KL78 road ventures on my xterra OR. you are correct about your OEM tire size, if you have a TRD off road, you should already have the 265/75/16 rugged trails, same as what came on my xterra.

I really like the kumhos so far, they are a bit more aggressive than the rugged trails but not loud on the highway. i upgraded from the "P" tires to a C load range for a bit more puncture resistance.

ku_rd_vnt_at_kl78_owl_ci2_l.jpg

CharlieV

Adventurer
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I really do like the Rugged Trails as they do wear like iron. The first set of rugged trails I had on my '06 dually lasted 112,000 miles, that's towing a six horse gooseneck trailer with only one rotation at 55k. They're also what's stock on my Tacoma now. I'm familiar with 235/85s as I've had a pickup with them before, initially when I thought about replacing the stock tacoma tires I wanted 255/85s. A friend of mine has them on his Series truck. I'll look and see if I can find them in a brand besides BFG, which only makes them in the first generation Mud Terrain.

mbtytc07

I've had basically good results with Hankook RT10 Atm's. They may fit the need for a good rolling, light and fairly aggressive A/t. I purchased C load range; taking a chance that I won't cut a sidewall when airing down. I've been running the Continetal Divide trails in Summit County, Co and other high passes and haven't had a problem to date. Not the hardest stuff but a fair amount of sharp rocks - so I am pleased w/ the performance of this quiet tire.

sargeek

Adventurer
If you want a mild A/T tire - consider the Michelin LTX M/S2, LTX A/T2, or LTX M/S. The are not the cheapest tires on the market, but they will run along time, and IMO will out work/wear the BFG Rugged Trail. They are great tires that wear very well, ride nice on the road, and can take some fair abuse off road. I also think the BFG A/T will out last the Rugged Trail.

On my 06 Tacoma, I went with the 235/85R16, Load Range E. They are designed for a 1 ton truck and are overkill on the Tacoma. However, they must sell the heck out of this size, becasue it is consideribly cheaper then many other sizes available.

I will also be looking at the Dura-Tracs when I need replacements. I have never had a set of Goodyear Truck Tires. I have run BFG, Bridgestone, and High-Tec Retreads on many different 4x4's.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I hated my BFG Rugged Trails, they wore out really fast. (And I drive like a grandma.) I replaced them at 13k! Not much grip in the snow either.

My BFG AT's have about 30k on them, with lots of tread left. The AT has good grip, except in heavy mud and glaze ice. But it is not a mud tire and it is not an ice tire, so there you go.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I hated my BFG Rugged Trails, they wore out really fast. (And I drive like a grandma.) I replaced them at 13k! Not much grip in the snow either.

My BFG AT's have about 30k on them, with lots of tread left. The AT has good grip, except in heavy mud and glaze ice. But it is not a mud tire and it is not an ice tire, so there you go.

Wow, that is short mileage on the Rugged Terrains. I just bought a used set where they had something over half the tread left at 20K miles.

Last edited:

7wt

Expedition Leader
My Raggad Trails took me about 15K if I remember correctly. Horrible tire. The primary reason I switched to Bridgestone at the time was not to reward BFG with a purchase of new tires after making such junk. I did have good luck with my BFG AT's apart from the balance issue and poor overall mud performance. I won't go back now unless Goodyear stops making the Duratracs and they don't replace them with something similar. I am that happy with them.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I've got 33 10.50/15 BFT AT's on my 1st Gen. Gotta say they're a great tire. Never had an out of round issue, they're wearing like Iron and they've perfformed better IMO on a wide variety of terrain then some of the other brands I've run. ANother great AT is the Dean and or around here they're Les Schwabe's brand name (it escapes me right now) their SXT's (used to be TXR's) come in a lot of (to me) desirable tall skinny sizes. My Dad run's 31/9.50? 15 on His XJ and with the nice multi-mode T-case it's a great all-weather truck. Personaly I prefer a more agressive and siped tread. The Maxxis Big-Horns are kind of ant AT-ish mud terrain and I'm real anxious to try these.

Cheers

DAve

Edit: OK, now rhese Goodyear Wrangler DUratracs have my attention... If they have a 33/10.50 or a 255/85/16's I'd really like to try these. they look like they'd really do WELL in the wet-muddy NW.

129_0908_13_z+4x4_truck_tire_tech+goodyear_wrangler_duratrac.jpg

Now THAT looks like a tire for me. PLus LOTS of nice thick open blocks for mud with nice beef and some nice siping... Wonder how "out of N.America findable" they'd be, but they look awesome.

Last edited:

ssmathis

Observer
I have 265/70/17 Duratrac load range E on my 2010 4Runner and so far I like them better than every set of BFG AT's I've had. Now I will say I only have 1400 miles on them compared to hundreds of thousands of miles on BFG's so time will tell but so far I'd recommend them. I'm pretty sure they don't yet make those sizes though.

Scott

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz