EXPO MJs

Go4Lo

Explorer
There aren't many of us out there with MJs, much less MJs that are dedicated to EXPO usage so I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread with pics of MJs that are set up for EXPO usage.

Even though I've been a member since 2008 I don't really post on here that often mainly because I don't feel that my rig is EXPO worthly yet. That being said my long term plans with the MJ are to continue evolving it into more of an EXPO vehicle. Hopefully a thread of EXPO MJs will give me some more ideas :elkgrin:

Please post a few pics of your MJ and it's specs.

I'll start with my truck :coffeedrink:

'90 MJ blended with a '99 XJ
4.7L Stroker
Locked ft/rr
RK Longarms/SOA Rear
RigidCo Bumpers ft/rr
Frame stiffeners and sliders are in the worx

Future Plans to convert truck into more of an EXPO rig:
Manual Hubs
Snorkel
Softopper(ditch the tool box)
Winch
Light Force HIDs on the front bumper

I just got the truck back on the road in June so I don't have many pics of it off road yet.

Recent trip to Ft. Fisher, NC
P1030412.jpg

I like this one for some reason
P1030426.jpg

Shot of the late model XJ interior in the MJ. I am running a Kenwood flip out head unit with a Garmin Navigation add on. The Garmin unit has an SD card slot so I plan to add Topo maps later on.
P1030287.jpg

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Great looking MJ!

I was going to do mine silverstone also (to match the track car - does Jeep silverstone match Honda silverstone? Guess I'll find out!).

Here's my MJ as it sits: http://moose.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/10221_157579269858_662509858_3527185_6035312_n.jpg

Far from overlanding ready.

RE: the manual locking hubs. I just got a quote from Randy's this week on the hub kit and it has increased in price a lot since I bought the set I have on my XJ (Bought in ~1998). The hub kit is now $1805.71. IIRC I paid around $700.

At that price a Dana 44 build really makes a lot of sense, even if you have to spend money to buy the coil conversion brackets. You can sell your existing Dana 30 for some money or recycle into another project.

I was pretty bummed about this as I like the hub kit. It's a decent bit of kit and is an afternoon job to install. But the value proposition doesn't make sense to me.

For the YJ in the other thread I'm using a ~MY78 Ford F250 axle assembly, flat top knuckles, and Scout II bearings, brakes, etc. I figure the WMS width will be ~63" which will be workable on the YJ for certain and hopefully for the MJ as well.

Go4Lo

Explorer
Great looking MJ!

I was going to do mine silverstone also (to match the track car - does Jeep silverstone match Honda silverstone? Guess I'll find out!).

Here's my MJ as it sits: http://moose.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/10221_157579269858_662509858_3527185_6035312_n.jpg

Far from overlanding ready.

RE: the manual locking hubs. I just got a quote from Randy's this week on the hub kit and it has increased in price a lot since I bought the set I have on my XJ (Bought in ~1998). The hub kit is now $1805.71. IIRC I paid around $700.

At that price a Dana 44 build really makes a lot of sense, even if you have to spend money to buy the coil conversion brackets. You can sell your existing Dana 30 for some money or recycle into another project.

I was pretty bummed about this as I like the hub kit. It's a decent bit of kit and is an afternoon job to install. But the value proposition doesn't make sense to me.

Nice looking MJ you've got there for a foundation. I was thinking about using the Mile Marker Hub kit. I think Summit has it for $750ish. I agree with the Dana 44 front option if you compare it to the Warn/Randy's hub kit, however the Mile Marker price is very attractive especially for Dana 30 owners that have sunk way too much money in this axle already :Wow1:

Any reason not to go with the Mile Marker kit?

PolarXJ

Observer
There aren't many of us out there with MJs, much less MJs that are dedicated to EXPO usage so I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread with pics of MJs that are set up for EXPO usage.

Even though I've been a member since 2008 I don't really post on here that often mainly because I don't feel that my rig is EXPO worthly yet. That being said my long term plans with the MJ are to continue evolving it into more of an EXPO vehicle. Hopefully a thread of EXPO MJs will give me some more ideas :elkgrin:

Please post a few pics of your MJ and it's specs.

I'll start with my truck :coffeedrink:

'90 MJ blended with a '99 XJ
4.7L Stroker
Locked ft/rr
RK Longarms/SOA Rear
RigidCo Bumpers ft/rr
Frame stiffeners and sliders are in the worx

So you decided to keep your MJ? Awesome work btw.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Any reason not to go with the Mile Marker kit?

I forgot all about the MM kit.

From what I remember there was something about the MM kit - it doesn't come with ChroMo shafts or something. At the time the two kits were around the same price so the Warn made more sense. There were other differences in the quality of parts used also but I forget the specifics.

Given the price difference I wouldn't care today. I'd run the MM over the Warn if I went that route just based on the price.

I'm pleased with my MJ. It is a former Colorado truck that happened to migrate to Ontario and hasn't seen any winters here. It is pretty much rust free. When I saw it in the adverts I thought it was the usual joke "mint, rust free" truck that was a basket case but I'm glad I drove the four hours to check it out. Bought it on the spot. :)

These parts really make putting a Dana 44 in a MJ/XJ quite a bit easier than it used to be:

http://tntcustoms.com/fronttruss-hpd44leafsprungstyle-1.aspx

Warhead

Adventurer
mJ owner checking in, my MJ is not much to look at right now (under construction). I will post a pic when I get home.

Travelmore

Adventurer
My MJ is not very polished but it works great for the overgrown forest roads and dunes of Oregon.

88 short box
Remanufactured 4.0
SOA lift
31" BFG AT's
Custom front bumper remove license plate and slide in the skid mounted hitch
Uknown rear bumper and hitch
OBA

Sorry but no detail pictures at work.
36847_1403702304962_1604512975_938349_189509_n.jpg

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Much has been posted about my MJ here on ExPo at the following links:
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15684&highlight=comanche+upgrades
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25517

Current specs:

Vehicle: Jeep Comanche (MJ) Eliminator 5 speed 1J7FJ66S1NL168848
Year: 1992 (original owner, 357K+ miles in 2010)
Tires: BFG KM2 MT 285-75-16
Rims: AEV Pintler
Lift: 4CLF 6” front long arm using RE springs, ballistic fab & RE joints, fox nitrogen jounces, spring over rear with 4” Trailmaster Toyota add-a-leaf, fox remote reservoir shocks,
Other mods: 4.56 gears, Detroit rear locker Dana 44, ARB front locker Dana 30, Crane differential covers, TJ bell housing w/external slave cylinder, Golen Machine I-6 4.6 liter stroker motor, Split Second FTC1-019BV computer, Split Second air/feul ratio meter, Thorley header, Hesco 30mm throttle body, Safari Snorkel, K&N filter, Warn winch, Viking winchline & ARB, All J rear bumper & hitch, 4CLF double swingaway, Nomad Fab air tank sliders, ARB air compressor, AT Flippac shell, AT drawers & compartments, Load Tamer cargo nets, Fiamma F35 awnings, NL 52 liter fridge & freezer, NL Powerpack with 105 amp Deka group 31 AGM battery, Carmanah RV25 solar controller, 60 watt foldable Power Film solar panel, interior LED lighting, Blue Sea power distribution panel, custom 17 gallon water tank, West Marine electric pump, Doulton water purifier, 6 liter heat exchange hot water tank, exterior shower, Macs Custom tie down rails & attachment points, Thule storage bags, AT Pelican Case 1620 Kitchen, Corbeau seats, Baja Designs Fuego HID lights, Delta H4 headlights, Cobra 75WX-ST CB, Yeasu VX-7R 2M, Magellean GPS, Tuffy center console, hilift jack

Planned changes:

Replacement AX-15, Deaver custom rear springs, kitchen upgrade, Gearsafe tire carrier insert.

Here's a pic as she sits in front of the AT office today.

Attachments

• AT 1992 MJ.jpg
    AT 1992 MJ.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 236

Warhead

Adventurer
ok here are the pics
current state:
d68aaa40.jpg

hopefully what the finished product will look like:
Jeep-Comanche-4a.jpg

the color it will be:
photo.php

I have most everything for this:
standard.jpg

pic from cherokee forum
standard.jpg

pic from cherokee forum

just need time and some $$$$

Go4Lo

Explorer
So you decided to keep your MJ? Awesome work btw.

Yep, the economy for toys flat out sucks right now so I plan to keep it and enjoy it. I want to convert it into more of a expedition style rig as I don't plan to run extreme trails with it.

My MJ is not very polished but it works great for the overgrown forest roads and dunes of Oregon.

88 short box
Remanufactured 4.0
SOA lift
31" BFG AT's
Custom front bumper remove license plate and slide in the skid mounted hitch
Uknown rear bumper and hitch
OBA

Sorry but no detail pictures at work.
36847_1403702304962_1604512975_938349_189509_n.jpg

Nice pic! The silhouette of your MJ looks nice :sombrero:

Thanks!

Forum statistics