Aftermarket pillar-mount gauge install?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Just wondering who here has installed aftermarket gauges and how you'd rate the difficulty level.

I'm still looking for a permanent solution for my desire of an outside temp gauge. My little $9 cheapie still works but I hate the way it looks.

Thinking of going with an A-pillar-mount gauge pod with a single gauge.

Here's the link to the mounting:

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_acce.asp?Subgroup=Toyota_4_Runner

And here's the gauge I'd likely install:

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_mult3.asp?Type=Outside_Temp&Series=Cyber_Red

Any thoughts/ experience?

I know I could just install an auto dimming mirror with the temp/compass built in, but this is likely to be less expensive ( <$100 vs the mirrors which start around $130 and go up.)

rezdiver

Adventurer
my vote would be for the mirror, you can find them on ebay very cheap.

or you could give me the 100 and i will set up a call center for you here, anywhere you are you can call me and i will look up the temp on the internet for you.

angusdevil

Adventurer
I've put in a few, on Dodge's, it's only two bolts that hold in the pillar. A good tug and its out. From there, just run whatever wiring needed. They usually make them pretty stupid-proof.

Why not get a guage that does a lot of different things like tranny temp, oil temp and all of those other fun things and you can set it up to display whatever you want. Most of them just read off the OBDII port.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I installed two Sunpro 2x1/16" Auto fluid temp gages in my '08 JKU Rubi-

I would have used the pillar mounts, except, my roll cage is in the way so--

I put them right in front of the cage dash bar and the one on the left shows tranny fluid temp "HOT-OUT" and the left shows tranny fluid return "COOL"--

Autofluidtempind002.jpg

020-1.jpg

System works very well !!

:costumed-smiley-007:bike_rider: JIMBO

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Gauge installation depends on the gauges, I've dont boost, egt, oil pressure. Also depends if you are doing mechanical or electrical.

If i was you I would just do the mirror route. Clean and easy.

-Sam

Area56

My F250 had gauges on the A pillar when i bought it. I didn't mind as I planned on those gauges anyhow. The wiring loom was just stuffed through alongside other wires in a pre-existing hole in the firewall, so it didn't look too difficult. Wrapping the loom up so it looked professional and factory took the most time I suppose.

However, I am planning on moving them somewhere less obvious. Among the reasons:
-Every street punk sees them and wants to race.
-I'm tired of people asking me what 'chip' I've got in the truck. It's stock, and they don't believe me.
- Every thief sees them and thinks I have other valuable components.
- The light from the gauges is somewhat distracting at night. I suppose red bulbs would help, or a switch to turn them off.
- A grab bar on the A pillar would be more handy than gauges, as it's a 4x4.

On the plus side, I like them at eye level. I plan to move them on top of my dash into a little pod like my 1st Gen 4runner had.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online