Ride Height

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Curious to see what opinions there are out there about the minimum ride height for an overland vehicle....

matt s

Explorer
You might want to define that a bit more. I assume you mean clearance at the axle, but breakover, approach and departure angles are also worth considering.

As to axle hight I would thing 12 inches to the bottom of the axle is a good place to start.

bobcat charlie

Adventurer
I think overhang is more important than clearance…assuming you’ve got 12”+ of clearance under your frame rails, you’re good to go. 12” below the axel (not below the differential) only means 25” tires!

I don’t do rock crawling with the Ram 2500 but have with the several IHC Scouts I’ve had in the past. Only ‘high centered’ once, that was a Scout in Mexico and I was on top of a barrel cactus, but I have often had the rear end snagged enough that I couldn’t move!

I have run fire roads and rutted trails in California, Nevada, Montana, and Mexico and no problem with my ’03 Ram, no lift, on 35” tires, but with extensive skid plates…just be prepared for the rear end to get hung up once in a while.

Snafu

Adventurer
I think overhang is more important than clearance…assuming you’ve got 12”+ of clearance under your frame rails, you’re good to go. 12” below the axel (not below the differential) only means 25” tires!

I don’t do rock crawling with the Ram 2500 but have with the several IHC Scouts I’ve had in the past. Only ‘high centered’ once, that was a Scout in Mexico and I was on top of a barrel cactus, but I have often had the rear end snagged enough that I couldn’t move!

I have run fire roads and rutted trails in California, Nevada, Montana, and Mexico and no problem with my ’03 Ram, no lift, on 35” tires, but with extensive skid plates…just be prepared for the rear end to get hung up once in a while.

This is what I'm looking at doing with my 06...I agree with you...I say keep it lower with lots of protection and wheels as far to the corners as you can find with a short wheel base....then you're ready to go with a heavy load of gear!!

matt s

Explorer
I think overhang is more important than clearance…assuming you've got 12”+ of clearance under your frame rails, you're good to go. 12” below the axel (not below the differential) only means 25” tires!

Agree all of this including about staying low, bigger tires, and skid protection.

However get out your tape measure and see what your real world clearance is. I just did. I have 13.5 inches to the bottom of my axle (not the diff ) and I run 33x9.5 BFG's that are currently fully aired up. I would imagine that aired down I drop at least an inch. I think you would find that 31's come out to about a foot of clearance at full air pressure. You have to consider tire deflection, axle tube thickness etc. 33's don't put you up as high as you might think.

EDIT: I did say 12 inches is a good start . :sombrero:

Last edited:

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Agree all of this including about staying low, bigger tires, and skid protection.

However get out your tape measure and see what your real world clearance is. I just did. I have 13.5 inches to the bottom of my axle (not the diff ) and I run 33x9.5 BFG's that are currently fully aired up. I would imagine that aired down I drop at least an inch. I think you would find that 31's come out to about a foot of clearance at full air pressure. You have to consider tire deflection, axle tube thickness etc. 33's don't put you up as high as you might think.

EDIT: I did say 12 inches is a good start . :sombrero:

Running stock tires and no lift on my 2008 Grand Cherokee I have:

12 inches to the bottom of my axle in rear....

9 inches to the bottom of my IFS in the front....

Angles: (degrees)

Approach Angle 34.1
Ramp breakover Angle 20.6
Departure Angle 27.1

matt s

Explorer
Hyaena, a jeep person can help you more than I can. The rear clearance sounds decent the IFS up front is pretty low, but do you have more clearance in the middle? Careful driving keeping in mind the low spots would be the key.

It sounds to me like larger tires with little or no lift (again a someone familiar with the jeep can tell what tires would clear without lift) would improve your overall height some and increase your angles a touch as well.

IMO a stock jeep Cherokee is pretty capable right off the lot.

KSJeep

Explorer
You can fit 31" tires 245/70/17s on your stock Grand. A 2" BB will also give you quite abit more body clearance. Full skids are essential on the Grands, those cats are $1800-$2400 to replace if you bang them up and warrenty will not cover.

Here is what you would end up with.

31" tires, no lift
2758268190054084051S600x600Q85.jpg

With 2" BB
2525787040054084051S600x600Q85.jpg

KLAKEBRONCO

Adventurer
It depends allot on the vehicle I would sure imagine. A fullsize truck will need more clearance to not high center, or otherwise drag on everything than say a Blazer, FJ, Bronco, etc.

I intend to also use my Bronco for trail riding at a few local parks. It needed to maintain decent highway manners, and MPG. I'm lifted about 2.5" with 35's and fender trimming on my Bronco.

I want to re route the exhaust, and clock the T-case up. I swapped to a different gas tank that added 6" of clearance.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
You can fit 31" tires 245/70/17s on your stock Grand. A 2" BB will also give you quite abit more body clearance. Full skids are essential on the Grands, those cats are $1800-$2400 to replace if you bang them up and warrenty will not cover.

Here is what you would end up with.

31" tires, no lift
2758268190054084051S600x600Q85.jpg

With 2" BB
2525787040054084051S600x600Q85.jpg

Any rubbing? Are you using spacers....

Any noise with the BB? I am afraid to put it on and getting creaks and moans.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
It all depends on where you want to go, and how willing you are to turn around when things get rough.

A few months ago, I took a multi-week trip through Baja (we traveled the entire length of the peninsula, bouncing between the pacific and sea of cortez a few times), and we could have done the whole thing in my girlfriends stock Jeep Patriot -- and there isn't a whole lot of clearance under that thing.

It's all about matching the vehicle to the goal . . .

KSJeep

Explorer
Any rubbing? Are you using spacers....

Any noise with the BB? I am afraid to put it on and getting creaks and moans.

No spacers, no creaks or moans, minor rubbing at the pinch weld with the lift at full lock. No rubbing at stock height.

I have been very impressed with where these Grands will go. For expo type travel I believe they are well suited, just wish it had alittle more head room in both the front and rear.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
No spacers, no creaks or moans, minor rubbing at the pinch weld with the lift at full lock. No rubbing at stock height.

I have been very impressed with where these Grands will go. For expo type travel I believe they are well suited, just wish it had alittle more head room in both the front and rear.

Yea it is a capable rig...I just do not want to to do a lift. I would like to get maybe 1 to 1.5 inches in the front to level it out and give me a little more ground clearance.

I am in the process of putting armor underneath....

Thanks for the follow up...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles