Samsung Galaxy Tab

haven

Expedition Leader
After weeks of teasing, Samsung has officially announced its 7 inch Android slate computer. It's called the Galaxy Tab. The name may change when the Galaxy Tab is offered by wireless carriers like AT&T and Verizon.

The Galaxy Tab seems to me to be the most fully featured Android device to date. Advanced specs include Android 2.2; a 7 inch 1024x600 capacitive screen with multi-touch support; a 1 GHz processor; 802.11 N WiFi, Bluetooth 3.0; 3G data and voice; and an assisted GPS receiver. Because the Galaxy Tab can be considered a phone, it has full access to the Google Market. Full specs are listed below.

The Galaxy Tab is right at the upper limit of devices that can be comfortably held in one hand for more than a minute or two. Dimensions are 7.5" x 4.7" x 0.5", weight 14 ounces.

For comparison, the new Kindle 3G+WiFi measures 7.5" x 4.8" x 0.335" and weighs 8.7 ounces.

Here's a photo from the CarryPad web site that shows the Galaxy Tab is about half the size of the iPad

galaxy-tab-size.jpg

Read more at Carrypad http://carrypad.com/2010/09/02/galaxy-tab-hands-on-at-ifa-video-pics/

Accessories announced by Samsung include a charging station w/ HDMI output, a wireless keyboard, a bluetooth stylus, and a USB port adapter.

No price or release date for USA for the Galaxy Tab was announced.

Specifications
Samsung Galaxy Tab GT-P1000
7 inch 1024x600 capacitive multi-touch display
1GHz Samsung Hummingbird Cortex A8 processor
512MB RAM
16GB or 32 GB internal memory, micro SD card slot
802.11n WiFi, Bluetooth 3.0?
Assisted GPS receiver
3G data and voice
GSM (AT&T) and CDMA (Verizon) versions
3 mp camera facing away, 1.3 mp camera facing toward user
Android 2.2 with Flash support
Google Maps
pre-loaded with Swype keyboard app, Thinkfree Office document creation softwarel
access to Google Market applications
access to Samsung's Readers Hub for e-books
7.5 x 4.7 x 0.5 inches, 0.84 lbs
190 x 120 x 12 mm, 380 g
30 pin docking connector

accessories
charging station w/ HDMI output
wireless keyboard
bluetooth stylus
USB port adapter

web site http://galaxytab.samsungmobile.com/

Samsung ad for Galaxy Tab on YouTube
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPfCZC4VHnE"]YouTube- [GALAXY Tab] Samsung GALAXY Tab Official Commercial[/ame]

hands-on first looks
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/02/samsung-galaxy-tab-preview/

haven

Expedition Leader
I expect most Galaxy Tab sales will be subsidized by phone companies.

In Europe, Vodaphone has announced their plan to sell the Galaxy Tab with a substantial subsidy when the buyer elects to sign up for a two year service contract. It has been widely reported that the Galaxy Tab will be sold through wireless carriers AT&T and Verizon. But no announcement has been made.

dzzz

I don't get the pricing on either the Streak or Samsung. It's pretty clear they aren't ready yet to compete with iPad

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
It's pretty clear they aren't ready yet to compete with iPad

Have you used the Streak or the Tab? Ever used Android? Just curious as to how you came about your conclusion that they aren't ready to compete yet (and hence can't justify the price).

haven

Expedition Leader
Samsung has announced that the Galaxy Tab will be available through all four major cell phone carriers in USA (Verizon, Sprint, AT&T and T-Mobile). Pricing will be established by the carriers. The carriers are expected to announce the start of Galaxy Tab sales late this year.

The Galaxy Tab will have both WiFi and 3G for data connectivity. (Sprint has not announced a 4G version for their higher speed network, which is available in 50+ cities around USA.) There is talk about a WiFi only version of the Galaxy Tab, but I don't know why a cell phone carrier would want to sell it. It might be worth buying an unlocked Euro version of the Galaxy Tab so you can do away with carrying your cell phone.

There is no indication that any carrier will allow their version of the Galaxy Tab to have voice service (other than Skype-like VOIP). This is too bad, since the Galaxy Tab models announced for Europe will have voice service, and thus have access to the Google Market source for Andriod apps.

Here's the Samsung press release
http://www.samsungusanews.com/2010/...es-samsung-galaxy-tab-with-multiple-carriers/

Closely following the iPad model, Samsung also displayed a desktop dock with keyboard and recharging circuit ($100), a desktop dock with HDMI output ($50), and a car dock (also $100) for the Galaxy Tab. Causing me a little concern is the description of the car accessory as a "dock/GPS" unit. The specs of the Galaxy Tab include a GPS chip, so why does the car dock need its own GPS? Perhaps they mean a car dock for navigation.

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's a 9 minute long video that shows off features of the Galaxy Tab 7 inch tablet. The four major cell phone providers in USA have all indicated that they will offer a Galaxy Tab model sometime in the next few months.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAbsmHMAhrQ"]YouTube - [HD] Galaxy Tab Official Live Demo[/ame]

The four major cell phone providers in USA have all indicated that they will offer a Galaxy Tab model sometime in the next few months. I have a feeling that they may be delaying the release until Android 3.0 is released in November.

Another interesting wrinkle is the plan each cell phone provider has to offer faster data service. Verizon and AT&T will offer 4G based on LTE. Sprint is sticking with WiMax. And T-Mobile has a faster version of their 3G product. It would be great to offer the Galaxy Tab with 4G capability.

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's a 9 minute long video that shows off features of the Galaxy Tab 7 inch tablet.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAbsmHMAhrQ"]YouTube - [HD] Galaxy Tab Official Live Demo[/ame]

The four major cell phone providers in USA have all indicated that they will offer a Galaxy Tab model sometime in the next few months. I have a feeling that they may be delaying the introduction until Android 3.0 is released in November.

Another interesting wrinkle is the plan each cell phone provider has to offer faster data service. Verizon and AT&T will offer 4G based on LTE. Sprint is sticking with WiMax. And T-Mobile has a faster version of their 3G product. It would be great to offer the Galaxy Tab with 4G capability.

Jeepthreat

Observer
I could see jumping ship from the ipad to this. I think guys like me would justify having both. The tab for road warrior , and ipad for home. That tab video looks awesome and the apps look good in terms of features

Already got ipad , so we shall see how thay does on the road, but android is hackable and the tab is smaller.

Apple wants to dominaye, rumor is they have a smaller size coming out to cover this market segment too

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's a 14 minute unboxing video that shows the retail version of the Galaxy Tab. Rumors are circulating that in USA the Galaxy Tab will cost $400 plus a 2 year plan with a 3G wireless provider.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNUhmV6usGA"]YouTube - Galaxy Tab Unboxing (Retail, final)[/ame]

Since Verizon is launching its 4G network in many USA cities in two months' time, it might make sense to wait to purchase a device like the Galaxy Tab until it becomes clear what equipment Verizon plans to offer to take advantage of 4G. A MiFi-like mobile hotspot would be ideal.

teebes

Observer
Have you used the Streak or the Tab? Ever used Android? Just curious as to how you came about your conclusion that they aren't ready to compete yet (and hence can't justify the price).

You failed to quote the sentence where this post referred to the price point. The screen is about half that of an iPad, yet cost is roughly the same. For overland use, I'd much rather have a bit more screen real-estate.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
You failed to quote the sentence where this post referred to the price point. The screen is about half that of an iPad, yet cost is roughly the same. For overland use, I'd much rather have a bit more screen real-estate.

Agreed. Based on the last post it could be more expensive than my Wifi Ipad. I don't need a tablet that comes with a cell service since I won't be using it as a phone nor do I necessarily want an additional smart phone. I only need one and one that fits in my jeans pocket.

What app support do they have for this tablet? Haven't explored that yet. Are there decent gps map products available? For both street navigation as well as off road use? Are gps manufacturers providing compatible drivers?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles