2011 Dodge Durango

haven

Expedition Leader
Chrysler has taken the wraps off the 2011 Dodge Durango. It's based on a stretched Jeep Grand Cherokee unibody, with coil spring suspension all around. The extra 3+ inches in length makes a third row of seats possible. The Durango will be available with the 5.7L Hemi engine, which brings with it a 7800 lb towing capacity.

All wheel drive is available on the Durango, but not the Jeep's two speed transfer case. I think this is similar to what Jeep calls Quadra-Trac I.

The entry price for the Durango with V6 is expected to be just below $30K. Competition comes primarily from the new Ford Explorer and Chevy Traverse, as well as midsize SUVs with abbreviated 3rd row seating, like the Honda Pilot.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/02/2011-dodge-durango-unveiled/

http://www.insideline.com/dodge/dur...eleased-non-traditional-rollout-in-works.html

bdbecker

Adventurer
That's probably the best looking Durango yet, but totally designed for on road use with that 5" of ground clearance up front and what look like 18" wheels.

2011_dodge_durango_f34_ns_902102_815.jpg

rob845

IMO they ruined it by going unibody.... I have an 06 and would not trade it in for the new one.

even the wife does not like it. She hates the size, its to small.... ( but then again she had me do a 2" lift and bigger tires on the durango to "make it look right" )

glad to see that they kept the 5.7 as an option, but they lost me as a new buyer...

beast1210

Adventurer
from the front its like an inflated magnum, but the back end loses me, sort of a bad cross of a buick and bmw X5

Snafu

Adventurer
I think its great honestly. The looks are incredible and being a unibody is no big deal considering the target market. The new Jeep Grand Cherokee has the off road credibility (just look at the pics of it doing the Rubicon!!) so the Dodge can handle the street crowd.

Snafu

Adventurer
That's probably the best looking Durango yet, but totally designed for on road use with that 5" of ground clearance up front and what look like 18" wheels.

But that's trucks for ya these days....I laugh every time I see border patrol in their new Tahoe's with half the front bumper chopped off for some actual clearance

Nick02

As 2001 dakota owner: I believe dodge has done the right thing by building a more car-like SUV. I look at it this way;IMHO 95% of older gen "framed" dakota or durango owners are not gonna hit the trail or engage low range in daily-driving... at all, and 80% of those people are not even going to tow stuff. Driving around a poor handling "truck" with a frame that's going to see pavement doesn't make sense to me..... I could see the point if you lived back-east woods, in the winter,needed a 4x4 with high clearance, had five children and stuff to tow.... but that's far from the average american household.

As far as looks go, I think it looks alot better then the old gen, I personally have a big dislike in styling for the 2004-2010 durango's. I dont like the back-end of the 2011 however....
I believe dodge did the right thing by creating an powerful AWD crossover that's much more practical then the old durango; it looks like it can still tow too! :smiley_drive:

I find it odd that they have a option for the hemi in a "SUV crossover thing" but dont have that option for a "truck", the Dakota, even though people have successfully swapped them in on their own. IMHO Chrysler needs to offer the hemi in the JK's and the Dakota's... I mean, IMHO, it's BS that the "suv's and cars" get it but not the vehicles that could benefit from the performance and torque.

Last edited:

winkosmosis

Explorer
I like how they're reproducing what they did with the Liberty/Nitro. Jeep gets the offroad version, Dodge gets the onroad version. The days of stupid self-cannibalizing badge engineering are over

winkosmosis

Explorer
As 2001 dakota owner: I believe dodge has done the right thing by building a more car-like SUV. I look at it this way;IMHO 95% of older gen "framed" dakota or durango owners are not gonna hit the trail or engage low range in daily-driving... at all

95%? More like 99.9%! I've never even seen a Durango with mud on it. Try to find lifts etc for Durangos and you won't, because no one uses them for anything but carrying shopping bags home from Nordstrom.

rob845

HA, guess I don't fall into that 99.9% then...

The 2 weeks after I bought my 06 I took it to general sams offroad park to see what it could do. It followed a lifted Jeep, a Taco and a F150. It did get stuck in a rut once, the frame on the "hump" of the rut and leaning to the left. The drivers side mirror was about 6" from the mud. The F150 had to pull me back out.

It never was intended to be a hardcore off road truck, but they did damn well on the fire roads through the woods.

http://www.generalsams.com/

Nick02

95%? More like 99.9%! I've never even seen a Durango with mud on it. Try to find lifts etc for Durangos and you won't, because no one uses them for anything but carrying shopping bags home from Nordstrom.

The main reason why you dont see many lifts currently avalible for the 1998-2003 is a simple fact of engineering, not because people use them as grocery getters.

In 1998-1999 the durango (1997-1999 dakota) had a steering "rack", that used a steering "box", then in 2000-2002 the durango/dakota got rack and pinion steering, then in 2003 dodge changed the spindles on the durango/dakota to handle dual pistion calipers, pre 03 durango's and dakota's used single pistion...
1998-99 rango's and 1997-99 dakota's used a dana35 with "bolt on flanges" for the axle shafts .... 2000-2004 dakota's and 2000-2003 durango's used "tulips" and splines for the axle shafts... every "lift kit" had to be completely different to handle these major drive-train design changes.......

I see many people use WJ's and XJ's as grocery getters too, my girlfriend doesn't wheel her 1997 TJ; I use my Mitsubishi Montero as my DD; and have no desire to modify it. The thing is Jeeps, have lots of modifications out for them because they didnt "change" major drive-train components like dodge did, for example the same teraflex long arm kit fits TJ's that range from the 97-06 model year.....

so most of the lift kits (Rancho, tuff country) used drop brackets and modified cast spindles.
Because dodge changed so many aspects on the truck, in such a little time period, a completely redesigned kit had to be made for each suspension "change" and thus those kits are $$:Wow1:. most of them are not even manufactured anymore. I dont blame them. I wouldn't sell/engineer a lift kit that only worked for two model years....

Aslo, it's wayy easier to lift a coil sprung solid axle suspension vs Torsion Bar IFS because, in most cases TB IFS needs LCA and differential drop bracket's and new, longer uprights that cost lots of $$$ to engineer, test and manufacture... you can get away with same coilspacers and control arm's on a jeep for a model that lasted a decade...

I mean, the durango was a great offroad-vehicle from the factory.... it had an optional V8, a good fully boxed frame, and the big CHRYS 9.25" rear axle that's pretty damn tough; diffidently stronger then a D44 but a little weaker then a D60. You can crank the stock torsion bars (for free) and fit 32's with no rubbing, and go have fun... without breaking anything

The front end however, was not very good. Torsion bar, 1998-99 rango's and 1997-99 dakota's used a dana35 front center-section that's weak but in 2000-2004 dakota's and 2000-2003 durango's they switched to a CHRYS C205 mm front axle, it's cast aluminum and weaker then the cast iron dana 35.... both will hold up behind 33's if you have a v6 and baby the throttle, if you have a v8 you have to be extremely careful.... Corbin wheels his 03 v6 Dakota with 35's and has yet to break it...

haven

Expedition Leader
The embargo has been lifted by Chrysler, and the first reviews of the 2011 Dodge Durango are appearing.

If you need more space than the Grand Cherokee provides, consider the Durango. The Durango has a longer wheelbase and longer length than the GC, which permits a third row of seats. Durango also offers the 5.7L Hemi V8, with 360 hp and 390 lb-ft of torque. All wheel drive with low range is optional on the fancier trim groups.

Read about the Durango here
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/15/2011-dodge-durango-first-drive-review-road-test

http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/dodge/durango-2012.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz