Bed Replacement Ideas

Cody1771

Explorer
Ok guys, the box on my truck is beat. its coming off in a few weeks and im not replacing it with an OEM. i want to build a flatdeck/utility deck but cant quite seem to get a good idea for one. i want something functional, but at the same time have high clearance as i go on trails that are about the extreme narrowist my truck can handle, hence the box is beat up. i was thinking of building a 8' take off of the Adventure trailers, Adventure Truck they built but it seems more complex and time consuming to build than i want. so maybe people can post up some pics or drawings. a search on here didnt turn up enough good information. maybe i missed a similiar thread?

now its your turn :smiley_drive:

rynosurf

Adventurer
I like the idea of building a flatbed with a utility/contractors shell on it. You could get one with a tool box/door on one side and a window on the other. It would give you a compartment for all your junk and you could sleep in it. If you need the bed for something else you could just pull the shell of.

1speed

Explorer
i was really impressed by 1speed build on his dodge, plus theres a few other idea on his build up thread.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25237&page=6

Thanks, here's a pic of mine.

P2050004.jpg

Cody1771

Explorer
heh yeah i was trying to find your build thread last night :p i have a picture of your truck in my deck ideas folder

Cody1771

Explorer
i really like the whole "chase truck" style of bed, super rugged (wont bend when useing it as a tree bar haha) looks good, and good utility... hmmmm.... i really like the tube style on that is mentioned in your thread, but square tubing is WAY easier to work with not having access to a drill press to do tube notching. what size of square tubing did they use on your bed? 1.5 x 1.5 or 2 x 2?

chasespeed

Explorer
i really like the whole "chase truck" style of bed, super rugged (wont bend when useing it as a tree bar haha) looks good, and good utility... hmmmm.... i really like the tube style on that is mentioned in your thread, but square tubing is WAY easier to work with not having access to a drill press to do tube notching. what size of square tubing did they use on your bed? 1.5 x 1.5 or 2 x 2?

You dont need a drill, or drill press to notch/fishmouth tubing....

Design your bed around what YOU want to use it for... in Jim's case, it was being able to carry 2 fullsize spares, his bikes, tow a trailer, and carry extra fuel(there were some more if I remember right)....

In designing my own, I have been flip flopping through different designs..

As I dont know if I am going to keep an 8ft, or swap a quad cab on, and go with a 6.5. Be able to carry a camper, or not, etc etc.... Put some serious thought into it......

DO you have a camper, or an eye on one? Or are you still looking? There are a lot of options available....

Chase

Cody1771

Explorer
yeah i understand where your going with that, i dont have my eye on a camper. all the ones ive looked at are tooo heavy. i have a pretty good idea what i want it to do but it always helps to see what other people have done to save the trial and error thing.

chasespeed

Explorer
Well, you dont have to deal with the trial and error thing. Just build it in steps, leaving your options open

So, build the bed, maybe add some underbed boxes etc. Go with something similar to what Jim has. You could do an oak bed, or steel deck. If you do raised wheel well sections, consider making them an even height, in such, that if you need a completely flat deck, just add some planks, and its all about the same.... Consider something like stake pockets in some places as well.... many used for them. Then, as your idea/plan becomes clearer, you can add on from there....

Chase

1speed

Explorer

The framing is 2x2, I don't know what kind specifically, but the edges are a little rounded instead of absolutely square. There are some pics here of the bed in progress so you can see the profile of the tube

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles