Trail Spares - TRE's?

lovetoski

Observer
Quick question before I throw out the worn TRE's I just replaced on my FJ60...any reason to keep them as trail spares? It doesn't seem like they break that often, especially in mild/moderate use.

Lucy FJ55

Observer
Not sure. I just swapped my TRE's and was thinking about carrying them as trail spares also. Why not?

Patman

Explorer
That's a tough one.

Anyone ever broken one on the trail?

I've run 35x15.5 swampers on an Soa 60 for years and never broken one. Countless trips over the 'Con, etc.

Now after saying that, I'll break one on my current sua 60!

Why not keep them and when you start running out of room or get too heavy, retire them to the "spares shelf" in the garage.

orangefj45

here's one way to look at it: how long did the last set last? were they the stockers? also, were the replacement units high quality ( hopefully japanese ) parts?

that should help make up your mind.

i've been wheeling for about 20 years now and i've never broken a TRE. sure, they can develop some slop but breakage is extremely un-common. if i had to "draw the line" as to what to bring and what not, i'd leave the TREs at home......

hth

georg @ valley hybrids

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i have broken a TRE, popped the ball out the socket. i was able to stick it back in and use bailing wire to hold it together, it got me home. i dont carry a spare as i chalk it up to a worn part and not something that happens more commonly like u-joints and such. i figure the bailing wire worked once, it'll work again if ever needed.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
A friend of mine sheared a 80 series TRE just a few weeks ago, but it was on a very difficult obstacle and he has very large tires. For mild/moderate trail use, I agree with others that this wouldn't be near the top of the spares list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier