Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford Hydroboost Sources?

Default Ford Hydroboost Sources?

I'm seriously considering a hydroboost upgrade for my '86 Ford Diesel E-350 van. Does anybody out there know of good parts source vehicles for my application? I know late 90's F350's have the system, but I'm not sure about whether stuff would bolt up, brake lines, etc. Any assistance would be fantastic. Thanks!
    1986 Ford E350 4x4 Quadravan Camper "Boomer"
    The Boomer Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by spencyg View Post
    I'm seriously considering a hydroboost upgrade for my '86 Ford Diesel E-350 van. Does anybody out there know of good parts source vehicles for my application? I know late 90's F350's have the system, but I'm not sure about whether stuff would bolt up, brake lines, etc. Any assistance would be fantastic. Thanks!
    The challenge with vans is engine compartment space. Almost anything you put in there will take some work to fit. Chevy Astro Vans are very common applications with hydroboost. I'm also a fan of the '99-newer Super Duty units as well. I think your lines would all be custom.

I've worked with quite a few different setups and am willing to help where I can.

Todd Z.

I guess I was under the impression that the hydroboost system would take up less overall space than my existing vacuum brake booster...is the hydroboost longer? Custom lines aren't a big deal. By using a later model Super Duty unit, would I also need to use the later master cylinder?

Thanks for your input.
    The Boomer Build Thread

I would try to score one out of a van if you can.....

The hydraboost IS smaller... BUT, by the time you get done running hydraulic lines, location, and whatnot could be a problem.

Lines... well, what kinda condition are your CURRENT lines in... might be a good time to step up, and redo them as well.... especially considering our rust issues here, AND the more pressure the hydraboost can push...

At that time, you can figure it all in, in one shot....

Chase
    2010 Frontier CC/LB
    2011 Chevy Quigley... company truck.

Good point. Luckily (?) my lines (along with the rest of the rig) are nearly rust free, so if I start swapping lines, it will only be because I can't make the ones I have work right.

It IS tight in there though...this is the truth. Man!! I wish my garage had 10' doors! This sounds like a winter-esque project.
    The Boomer Build Thread

I feel ya on the doors... I have 4 of them, and the only things that will fit, are the car, and the bike.....truck and boat, are stuck outside(both need the attention this winter)....

OH, and it shouldnt be TOO hard getting the lines to mate up to the new master, IF they are even different....

Chase
    2010 Frontier CC/LB

Does your van run the Ford steering pump (ie. the Moaner) or the saginaw style pump? On my old 94 I swapped out the ford pump for the saginaw and it was much stronger and quieter. Easy upgrade as Ford used the Sag pump in some of the E-vans. Not hydroboost but a good option nonetheless.

It has the spam-can looking pump...not sure how replacing that would help my engine-run-vacuum-pump-assisted brakes...

Is the PS pump a direct bolt on swap?
    The Boomer Build Thread

Dont know what you mean by "spam can", but, if it looks like this...

Then its a saginaw pump, and you are good to go....

Chase
    2010 Frontier CC/LB

That appears to be the one...hard to be certain being that it is buried down under the driver side battery tray, but unless the other type looks similar in any way, I'd say we have a winner...

This looks like it is going to be a spring project if the turbo doesn't win out for that project spot.

Anybody have information on the bolt pattern, pilot bore,pushrod dimensions, and brake line fitting type for both the 78-91 E350 M/C and the late 90's Superduty M/C?
    The Boomer Build Thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast