M416 Trailer build

womacje

Adventurer
Swinging tailgate and reinforced sides!

Very exciting today. Tim aka PhotoGod and I finished the tailgate and tacked on the hinges. finished stiffening the tub sides. Purchased taillights, more welding wire,... Here is the proposed latch assembly, stolen from an aluminum truck box that I can sell on Craigslist, so pillaged it shall be. I need to flip the top hinge around because the washer is held on by the male which is on the top section, not a big deal, but won't get lost as easily.

Still getting an error page not found when attempting to post pics, so facebook.com/expeditionops

womacje

Adventurer
Weld and grind, weld and grind

Well, I've been doing alot of welding grinding, not much to show. Correction, I've been doing alot of welding and PhotoGod "Tim" has been doing a ******** ton of grinding! Now we have something to show! Woohoo progress!

Randy, at R and R Springs made me beautiful new main leafs, Success! I didn't have to throw away almost perfect spring pack and I was able to use a really cool fabricator that really knows his junk!
Randy pressed in new bushings so that I can make my own shackles whatever length I need and not need to use C-shackles. He also bent u-bolts for $6 a piece!!! Here you can see the ubots being bent, the springs and the springs painted. Thank you yet again, Master of the Rattle Can, aka Tim.

Mods, I still can't post pics... any help would be appreciated. facebook.com/Expeditionops

womacje

Adventurer
Watching Paint dry...

While the paint is drying, not much else is going on, but there is a little.

Braced the reciever in the rear of the trailer frame. This thing should be rated for about 5000lbs (estimates are for entertainment purposes only)

The pin will be accessible under the trailer. I doubt I'll be tandem towing,, but I wanted a recovery point for the rear of the trailer. I have had to find interesting ways around obstacles to get to tow worthy points on a vehicle just to avoid pulling on the trailer, this is now equipt. I will probably mount a clevis into it. Maybe a bike rack.
Pics at Facebook.com/expeditionops

womacje

Adventurer
Well, I've been pretty busy lately, mostly with a Tacoma bumper prototype that can be seen in the Taco section on here and helping PhotoGod with his trailer refresh.

My trailer has sat neglected for a bit, but now its deadline time. I must have it finished by Nov. 20th for the Midwest Mountaineering Expo.

Reassembly so that I can build the shackles for the correct height.
73136_158585440845157_110490778987957_251802_6411043_n.jpg

We made some shackles for the ol' gal out of 5/16th bar stock, huge!
73165_158585497511818_110490778987957_251804_7184055_n.jpg

Ready to mock up for rack at the appropriate height.
76300_158585460845155_110490778987957_251803_6559127_n.jpg

Ok, I know I'm kindof a dumb... I just figured out how to post image links correctly... sorry, but here you go. Still have the lions share of the pics on Facebook.

womacje

Adventurer
Dear Sandy Claws,

Thank you for the $$$. I promise I will put it to good use!

Jeremy

Ok, back to building this thing!

To do:
-Wheel adapters till I save up for the axle with the parking brake, Edit: Scratch that, just saw how much the adapters cost... guess time to order the axle.
-Max Coupler
-Fixed height rack, made so that it can be height adjustable in the future
-Tub Top
-Paint
-Tires
-Shocks

97tjguzzy

Explorer
looking good, I was checking out your pics on facebook and i noticed those sweet hinges, where did you get those?

womacje

Adventurer
Axle ordered and Dimensions

I did it!!! I pulled the trigger on the Dexter with 10" electric brakes and a parking brake... $404.xx

So some dimensions, to be verified later upon install:
Hub face distance- 56.75"
Spring Perch centers- 39.125"

Note: there are 2 M416 axle sizes. different by 3"+/-

This was purchased from Pioneer Rim and Wheel They are local to MPLS so I'll miss the shipping. The "option" for the parking brake is rare and it took someone who cared, aka the owner, to find the right price for me. Redneck could do it as well, but they were a little spendier and I would have to drive 2hrs to get it. I even had the part number for the parking brake backing plate and it took 1hr or so.

With that coming in two weeks, I'm pretty hyped. stay tuned for progress.

womacje

Adventurer
Axle installed!

The axle is finally here!!! This was a huge day. Check out the facebook page for a couple more shots.

Max coupler is en-route from Adventure Trailers as we speak! Next week is lighting.

163776_177278025642565_110490778987957_338750_5992847_n.jpg

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Looking good Jeremy!

You'll be glad you went w/a parking brake. Especially if you use an RTT.

The brake supplies plenty of stability for that.

womacje

Adventurer
Thanks. I'm pretty excited about the axle. Biggest purchase so far, and well worth it I hope. There will definitely be an RTT.

Jeremy

womacje

Adventurer
Finally, trailer behind the truck! This Max Coupler is awesome!
180503_178644302172604_110490778987957_346039_2770542_n.jpg
164343_178644248839276_110490778987957_346038_4084917_n.jpg

As always, there are more pics at our Facebook page.

Next is where to put all the lights??? The side markers are tiny and great, but I'd hate to put them on a slider to be destroyed... Time to weld some more, I guess.
Rack is getting welded up probably tomorrow!

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Looks great Jeremy! :wings:

The MC is really the schizz....ain't it?

Is there matching wheels for the LC?.....PG wants to get out early this year and if'in you're gonna hang with him...it's got to be looking real good :coffeedrink:

I'm anxious to see it come together...spring is just around the corner, but who in the hell would believe that with all this snow in NY...:snorkel: Awesome pics

womacje

Adventurer
Looks great Jeremy! :wings:

The MC is really the schizz....ain't it?

Is there matching wheels for the LC?.....PG wants to get out early this year and if'in you're gonna hang with him...it's got to be looking real good :coffeedrink:

I'm anxious to see it come together...spring is just around the corner, but who in the hell would believe that with all this snow in NY...:snorkel: Awesome pics

I love this Max Coupler! The grease zero is really close to the receiver, but I'm not too worried about it.
The wheels are a shout out to you and your peeps with some 4runner steel wheels. When I find the right deal, I'll grab some ratty lx wheels and shoot them black. Anyone have 3?
Trips with PG??? Ha! We actually just tried to rally a death valley trip but it fell through, because of me. He may never forgive me.
This trailer will be painted and rolling for Overland Expo!!!

PG is always 10 steps ahead of me. 21 to be exact! Mans got vision!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke