M416 Trailer build

womacje

Adventurer
Well, after burning a full day plus some behind the computer working on a Stainless steel kitchen design, I was the CAD jockey ask PhotoGod about it, we finally got to the rack, I took out a loan to try and finish this thing before Feb. 17. (I didnt actually take out a loan, but I'm pulling out the stops)
Photogod, came over, again, today and we started to weld the rack uprights in. The gas struts are on their way, so we'll see if the lift system will work. I found Pop Pins, from Grainger, and cheaper than Mcmaster Carr, plus had them in less than 24hrs and no shipping.

Enough chatter, time for a couple pics,
167099_179171448786556_110490778987957_348660_2819416_n.jpg

166847_179171472119887_110490778987957_348661_2662395_n.jpg

Tomorrow will be some electrical work, I'm thinking. Monday, pick up some more steel and the struts arrive!

Last edited:

jdholder

Explorer
Here are the pics of the rack as it sits now.

Rack just starting to be deployed - I've pulled the spring pins:
IMG00088-20110202-1529.jpg

Rack half way up - one side:
IMG00089-20110202-1530.jpg

All the way up:
IMG00090-20110202-1530.jpg

Sorry for the crummy images - Blackberry Camera. I'll get more later.

Inside each of the square tubes is a 50lb gas charged shock. The tent goes up and comes down with ease!!

womacje

Adventurer
Here are the pics of the rack as it sits now.

Sorry for the crummy images - Blackberry Camera. I'll get more later.

Inside each of the square tubes is a 50lb gas charged shock. The tent goes up and comes down with ease!!

Awesome!!! Well done!
--So how does it lift one side at a time? --Do the crossbars extend while the first two go up?

I'm hoping to have mine started here soon! Too much work, on not my trailer!

I need videos, more pics,... I love it!

jdholder

Explorer
Awesome!!! Well done!
--So how does it lift one side at a time? --Do the crossbars extend while the first two go up?

I'm hoping to have mine started here soon! Too much work, on not my trailer!

I need videos, more pics,... I love it!

Yes, the crossbars extend and then retract as each side goes up. You can kind of see the extending silver colored rod in the second picture.

The procedure is:

1) Deploy the tent and unfold the ladder.
2) Zip on the "Changing Room" while the zippers are not too far in the air.
3) At the front of the trailer, pull the two captive spring pins and the shocks drive the rack upward until it "clicks" into place. The crossbars extend an inch or two.
4) Walk to back of the trialer, pull the two captive spring pins and the shocks drive the rack upward until it "clicks into place. The crossbars retract an inch or two back to the original length.
5) Extend the ladder to the desire height.
5) Stake the changing room down so it doesn't flop around.

I need to see if I can leave the changing room attached to the tent when I fold it all up, but the tent cover is "captive" to the tent, so I don't know if there's enough room to fit it all under the cover. The room zips on, so it's not too much work, but it would be cool if it would all fit.

I'll get some video once I get it out of the fab shop. He's fabbing up some solar panel sliders that should be pretty cool when all done.

Last edited:

womacje

Adventurer
Yes, the crossbars extend and then retract as each side goes up.

The procedure is:

1) Deploy the tent and unfold the ladder.
2) Zip on the "Changing Room" while the zippers are not too far in the air.
3) At the front of the trailer, pull the two captive spring pins and the shocks drive the rack upward until it "clicks" into place. The crossbars extend an inch or two.
4) Walk to back of the trialer, pull the two captive spring pins and the shocks drive the rack upward until it "clicks into place. The crossbars retract an inch or two back to the original length.
5) Extend the ladder to the desire height.
5) Stake the changing room down so it doesn't flop around.

I need to see if I can leave the changing room attached to the tent when I fold it all up, but the tent cover is "captive" to the tent, so I don't know if there's enough room to fit it all under the cover. The room zips on, so it's not too much work, but it would be cool if it would all fit.

I'll get some video once I get it out of the fab shop. He's fabbing up some solar panel sliders that should be pretty cool when all done.

Gotcha. I'm curious what your tolerances are for your telescoping tubes, I was able to get to .06" from ID of my inner tube to OD of my outer tube.

I can't wait for your build thread, this seems to be a rare feature.

What tent did you settle on?

Jeremy

jdholder

Explorer
Gotcha. I'm curious what your tolerances are for your sliding tubes, I was able to get to .06 from ID of my inner tube to OD of my outer tube.

I can't wait for you build thread, this seems to be a rare feature.

What tent did you settle on?

Jeremy

I don't know if I'll ever do a build thread as I am just the check writer on this one. I can't fab my way out of a paper bag. For examply, I'm not sure if .06 is good or bad for you!! :) - I just know this rack works!! And gives me a functional changing room area!

I actually bought an ARB Prototype from a member here. It is a "T-Top" design that will comfortably fit two adults and a kid up top and there's enough room in the lower tent for two more adults or probably 3 kids.

womacje

Adventurer
I don't know if I'll ever do a build thread as I am just the check writer on this one. I can't fab my way out of a paper bag. For examply, I'm not sure if .06 is good or bad for you!! :) - I just know this rack works!! And gives me a functional changing room area!

I actually bought an ARB Prototype from a member here. It is a "T-Top" design that will comfortably fit two adults and a kid up top and there's enough room in the lower tent for two more adults or probably 3 kids.

You must do a trailer walk thru! The whole idea of metal sliding on metal, scratching paint off... I thought about plating the slider tubes, but, sad to say, I don't have time to do it!

Great find on the ARB prototype. My next tent will be the T-Top, hopefully 1600 if they are in the country this spring. The ARB's are very similar in dims to the Mombasa tents,(there's speculation they are made in the same factory) I can fit my changing room under my cover. Its kind of messy to put away, but that was on top of the 81" high rack on the land cruiser. The lower height will make packing a tent so easy. I was really tempted to go the Globe Trotter/Traveller route, but I would like the sleeping platform to fold, so I can use more of the rack space.

Let me know if you are heading to the Overland Expo, I'd like to meet and compare trailers, especially check out your solar setup.

Jeremy

jdholder

Explorer
Let me know if you are heading to the Overland Expo, I'd like to meet and compare trailers, especially check out your solar setup.

Jeremy

I am paid up for the Overland Expo and plan to attend. That is unless I lose my job! Well, actually, come to think of it, I'll probably be more likely to attend if I DO lose my job!!

See you there!

womacje

Adventurer
I am paid up for the Overland Expo and plan to attend. That is unless I lose my job! Well, actually, come to think of it, I'll probably be more likely to attend if I DO lose my job!!

See you there!

There is never a better time to be unemployed then spring! I really enjoyed the sabbatical!

See you there.

womacje

Adventurer
I'm a nerd and I love my iphone! There I said it. I made a video to document the first time the rack lift was tested!
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tF9Iy6nQo8]YouTube - Rack lift first attempt by expeditionops.com[/ame]

Here are some build pics of the lift itself:
165586_178647708838930_110490778987957_346057_229332_n.jpg

182205_182418701795164_110490778987957_365691_8118192_n.jpg

180571_182418868461814_110490778987957_365697_358007_n.jpg

180113_182418725128495_110490778987957_365692_5359818_n.jpg

168331_182418785128489_110490778987957_365694_5423454_n.jpg

As always, there are more pics on the Facebook page.

womacje

Adventurer
One more.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USBU3MxjEmQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USBU3MxjEmQ[/ame]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior