Painting a tool box

06QuadRam

Observer
I've painted a few and they've turned out great. Lasted a long time.

I started by using a 3M scotch pad or scuff pad. I went in all directions to make sure I got all sides of the diamond embossing. Then I wiped the entire box down with paint reducer to clean everything.

Then I used Rust-oleum paint. I used flat black. I put on a light coat at first and then thicken it up. You have to paint the box like you would a car. So start from side and work to the other side. Or you'll get build ups..

As for primer there is really no need for it.

Attachments

• 29bztyd.jpg
    29bztyd.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC08421.JPG
    DSC08421.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC08428.JPG
    DSC08428.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC08429.JPG
    DSC08429.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC08510.JPG
    DSC08510.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 18

Silverado

Adventurer
Wow. Lots of free stuff floating around! For the aluminum box, 1. Why paint it? 2. Why not just buff it? But, if paint it you must, then first spray it with an "etching primer". Otherwise, paint, she won't stick!

Polished aluminum sticks out like a sore thumb on my all black truck

06QuadRam

Observer
Polished aluminum sticks out like a sore thumb on my all black truck

You are not kidding. This is mine before I painted it black on my new truck..
Camp061014.JPG

The only picture I currently have online of it painted..
rearbump10.jpg

Silverado

Adventurer
I've painted a few and they've turned out great. Lasted a long time.

I started by using a 3M scotch pad or scuff pad. I went in all directions to make sure I got all sides of the diamond embossing. Then I wiped the entire box down with paint reducer to clean everything.

Then I used Rust-oleum paint. I used flat black. I put on a light coat at first and then thicken it up. You have to paint the box like you would a car. So start from side and work to the other side. Or you'll get build ups..

As for primer there is really no need for it.

hows that rustoleum holding up? I just bought some flat black spray and some green etching primer

z3r0

Observer
^^^ rustoleum WILL NOT mix w/ regular primer
it will catalyze between the paint and primer and look like **** and you will only end up stripping it down to start over again

happened when i did my grill

Silverado

Adventurer
^^^ rustoleum WILL NOT mix w/ regular primer
it will catalyze between the paint and primer and look like **** and you will only end up stripping it down to start over again

happened when i did my grill

3 sides came out good but the front and lid are rough in some spots due to the spray can being inconsistant

06QuadRam

Observer
I didn't use any primer. It's holding up great! Even in the Arizona sun. It came out pretty even. I paint cars and such so using a spray can I can actually lay down a pretty good paint job.. haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz