need air bag setup for towing and camper...what's the best?

sweet trav

Adventurer
So, as the title says "I need an airbag setup" for the rear of our silverado 2500 crewcab 4x4. I'd also like to setup an air compressor and possibly a tank (if needed). We're running 35s so I'd like the air compressor to be able to air up the bags, tires, and run tools. Is there a setup out there that can handle that? Thanks for any info!

here's our current setup...

16150977857.280398819.IM1.17.565x421_A.316x421.jpg

bftank

Explorer
firestone and air ride both make a kit that comes with a compressor that can be controlled in cab. the compressor is not going to be up to the task of running air tools though.

i would get the reg kit minus the compressor for the bags. replace the quik connect hardware with semi truck fittings so they don't leak. get an air tank or two off of a semi truck and a 100% duty cycle compressor that will handle your flow needs from a company like viair or similar. hope this helps.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
PacBrake started selling airbags not too long ago. I worked at a shop that does a lot of diesel truck stuff and has installed alot of firestone airbags. We just started doing pacbrake airbags before I left and the tech that did the airbag installs said the pacbrake ones seemed designed a little better.

greg mgm

Explorer
I used Air Lift bags on my GMC for years with no issues at all. I also used an Air Lift compressor as well, which was fine for airing up the bags and maybe OK for refilling tires. I think it would be slow at filling air tanks for tool use.

My only comment against them is they really get tweaked and twisted up if you off road your truck. I don't think they're designed for that kind of abuse, but for on road towing they're great.

XJINTX

Explorer
I have Firestone on my Titan... was really impressed with the "Bolt On" install!

I did not bother with onboard air for mine. I have on board CO2 if needed for tires and tools. I just ran the two hoses and connection to my rear bumper. I just drilled holes and attached on either side of the license plate.

Depending on if I'm towing my RV or my car hauler I just fill as needed for each trip. Since I drive more not towing than towing it's not a real issue. I don't have the hassle of connections nor the added cost and parts of the in cab regulator. If I towed all the time I guess I may think about the in cab setup.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I ran Firestone's on my last truck with a Valair portable pump. My new one runs Carli's Long Travel bags and the same Valiar pump. I use a bicycle pump for the airbags as they take very little air.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I fitted Airlift's kit to my F250 You can get the bolt on airbags as a full kit and also get a small compressor kit. If you want to control the air bag height separately you would need a dual controller for the compressor system.

The kits have everything you need in them and the instructions are straight forward.

DT75FLH

Adventurer
I've run firestone bags on 2 trucks now. the double convluted (? sp) bags are pretty HD..

they are rated for 90# of air...

but my 2 friends also run bags on there duramaxs...(they both work for firestone) and when he tows a 3 car wedge trailer (read heavy) he has the bags at 110# of air (regulator on co2 tank). he has towed like this quite a bit and has yet to have a bag break.

one of thrucks has 130k miles on it...the 08 chevy has around 70k on it. both had the bags on since new

that was good enough for me :)

I ran Firestone's on my last truck with a Valair portable pump. My new one runs Carli's Long Travel bags and the same Valiar pump. I use a bicycle pump for the airbags as they take very little air.

Awesome idea with the bicycle pump! :iagree: Less to malfunction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz