can i see your ford expedition pics?

sniderexciderr

Observer
i have a 2001 ford expedition that i want to build into an expedition vehicle. can i see yours to get some ideas? if there is already a post like this let me know so i can check it out, i didn't see one. thanks!

waylenson

tyhyby7e.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1389130104279.jpg

line-x murfeesboro

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Here's some pics of my new to me Expedition:

Exp_drvr_qrtr.jpg

Exp_side.jpg

Engine/ drivetrain fluids has been baselined, 2" rear coil spacers, new tires and wheels (18x9.5 - 305/65-18), new headlights.

Lots of project work ahead this winter to get ready for next summer.

Last edited:

ExplorerTom

Explorer
I have one. But it's my daily driver and family camp vehicle- which means it's not fitted with any fancy overlanding setup.

It's a 2000 5.4L EB AWD. Tires are 275/65/18 Big O Big Foot A/T (Cooper makes them), on some MB Wheels (Discount Tire brand). Stock suspension with some Rancho RS5000 shocks. AUX trans cooler. Factory roof rack. Factory side steps. Hawk LTS brake pads. All in all a pretty pedestrian setup.

I'd like to add a cargo net in the rear to keep the items I stack along the driver side to stay stacked.

My main trail/overland rig is my Explorer.

It's got a long list of stuff.

Ivan

Lost in Space
Here's some pics of my new to me Expedition:

Exp_drvr_qrtr.jpg

Exp_side.jpg

Engine/ drivetrain fluids has been baselined, 2" rear coil spacers, new tires and wheels (18x9.5 - 305/65-18), new headlights.

Lots of project work ahead this winter to get ready for next summer.

Holy crap the Lightning wheels look awesome.

Makes me doubke guess the FX4 wheels on mine.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Holy crap the Lightning wheels look awesome.

Makes me doubke guess the FX4 wheels on mine.

They are not without issues with the tires I have. I ended up using a 8mm spacer in the front, will likely add one to the rear. Thinking about doing a full 1" spacer in the front. Will install longer wheels studs in the front when I replace the wheel hubs over the winter.

Smaller (i.e. narrower tires) would likely be no problem.

The front tire without spacers just touches the upper ball joint at normal ride height with a tire that tall and wide. (~34.5"). The Ford engineers were pushing the limit when they spec'ed 295s on the stock Lightning trucks.

But it does look great!

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Root Moose, How do you like those headlights? Do they work better than stock? I would go with a real bolt on spacer instead of the slip on type. Expy's are nice guys!

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
The high beams are great, almost as good as the HIDs on my Audi but the low beams are lacking. About the same as stock - doesn't meet today's expectations. I may change out the bulbs and see where that leads.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Yeah, I think I may buy another set of housings and install a set of rectangle truck lites in them. Seems like it would work good. Almost like the HID retrofit everyone is doing, but mount a truck light in the housing.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I recommend checking your Gen I Expeditions for floorboard/firewall structural cracks if you are running them off-road and doing any degree of articulation. We had these "Mike Units" when I was in the Border Patrol in the late '90's. I can't count the number that were dead-lined at about the 50K mile point because of the cracks, running down the firewall from near the master cylinder to the middle of the floorboard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94