Replacement Roof Rack for 07 Xterra

I would like a different roof rack for my new xterra. The problem with the factory one is that it wastes a lot of storage space for things like Jerry cans, which I'd like to keep outside of the cabin. With the eeze awn tent on top, there isn't a lot of room left.

I noticed that calmini makes just what I want for the older Xterra. I called them up and they said in no uncertain terms that they will not be making a similar rack for the 06-07 xterra.

Thus, I am left trying to find a place that can custom-make one. I'd like it to follow the contour of the roof, so a ready-made will not work. However, I'd like it to go into the existing roof holes for the existing rack.

Any thoughts?

hattrik21

Adventurer
I heard somewhere that gobi will be making one for the new gen Xterra's but I'm not sure of a time frame for it.

articulate

Expedition Leader
I would think you could replace the OEM rack with a pair of Yakima or Thule load bars using a set of towers that you could custom mount and connect a third-party rack to the bars. It doesn't fit your follow-the-contours criteria (precisely), but it would look nice and be rugged.

jingram

Adventurer
You might try the guys at http://www.northwestparts.com They have a short rack for the 1st Gen Xterra and will gladly do custom work, so I am sure they will accomodate you on your second gen. I contacted them to do a full length rack using my stock side rails that would go all the way forward to the air dam and they were happy to oblige. I ended up holding off for a bit, but they might be one of your best choices unless you want to go custom fabrication.

Allahades

Ditto on the Gobi rack. I also don't know the time frame of when they're going to release it, but the 1st gen. Xterra rack looks very nice, and is both wider and longer than the factory rack.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. They were quite a help.

I just got off the phone with Gobi, and they are "anticipating" that the roof rack for the new Xterra will be out at the end of April.

RCA2222

You mentioned that you have an Eezi-Awn installed...

We just returned from a month of mixed off-roading and camping, with a brief stint on moderate trails at Moab. We had a 1600 mounted and shortly into the trip the factory rack started to separate from the roof. After dropping the headliner at a Home Depot parking lot in Oregon I discovered that the screws for the rack thread into inserts that are crimped in the roof panel. Those inserts were loose and spinning freely in their holes, thus preventing tightening the screws from the outside. Longer screws and nylock nuts provided a quick but ugly fix.

I would strongly suggest that when you replace your rack, you drop the headliner and through bolt all of the fasteners that you can access (some are impossible).

BTW, Gobi told me mid to late summer. I saw a guy with an H2 with a Gobi rack while we were in Moab. The rack looked very well built and finished. Also, there is an Ebay store that sells Gobi stuff much cheaper than on the Gobi site.

RCA2222

Allahades said:
The factory roof rack came loose?!?

That's disappointing.

Yes it was - killed some of the trip plans because I was afraid to do any hard off road travel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles