Olympus E-3 Body and Lenses

Scott Brady

Founder
Used camera kit:
51F00Mse5vL._AA160_.jpg

Olympus E-3 Pro Body (10mp) ($550, $1,200 new): Good condition, but with visible wear marks and one scratch on the upper 1/3 of the LCD. Just went over 10,000 shutter releases on the my trip through the Silk Road. This camera was lovingly used, but was used in harsh environments. However, that is exactly what this camera is designed for, and few bodies have the same dust and weather sealing as the E-3. Includes additional battery, charger, and accessories delivered in box.

I have all the original boxes.

I will also consider selling the following:

12-60mm Pro Lens: F2.8-4 ($400, $800 new)- Good condition with one small knick on the lens. Obviously, the knick greatly reduces the value of the lens, but I never stopped shooting with it, and hundreds of those images are now in print. No hood.
41Xpx416SDL._AA160_.jpg

9-18mm Pro Lens: F4-5.6 ($300, $700 new)- Good condition, but with small scratches on the coating (none deep enough to affect glass).
41ngCaFA9BL._AA160_.jpg

Unfortunately, these two lenses received scratches in Nicaragua in a single 3-minute climb into a bat cave. I have shot with these lenses since and have not found artifacts on images, etc.

Shutter Release for E-3: $30 (will only sell with body).

PACKAGE PRICE: Body, two lenses, two 4-gig CF cards, two batteries, shutter release and camera bag: $1,200 and free shipping.

The Olympus E-3 – main features:
Speed
World's fastest autofocus* for quick and precise image capture
Fully-biaxial high-speed 11-point AF system
1/8000th sec. high-speed and high-precision shutter control, X: 1/250
5fps sequential shooting with 19 image RAW buffer
Image Quality

High-performance built-in image stabiliser to stabilise all lenses
(up to 5 EV steps) with two modes
High Speed 10 Megapixel Live MOS sensor
Qualified image processing with new TruePic III
High image quality with a variety of bright dedicated-to-digital ZUIKO DIGITAL lenses
Live View

2.5”/6.4cm multi-angle HyperCrystal LCD for greatest flexibility
Real-time effect monitoring
Pre-control over white balance and exposure compensation
Preview of Shadow Adjustment Technology (SAT)
5x/7x/10x magnified view for precise focusing – especially for macro shots
Reliability

Large viewfinder with professional-level coverage of 100% and 1.15x magnification for accurate image control
Spotless photography with most effective dust reduction system (Supersonic Wave Filter)
Splashproof body and lens system
Professional quality shutter life of 150K operations
Additional features of the Olympus E-3:

Based on the Four Thirds Standard
Ergonomic design of body, control buttons and GUI for easy operation
AE/AF lock functionality for individual customisation
Second display for Super Control Panel
ISO 100-3200 for wide-ranging sensitivity
Accurate white balance with two sensors
Built-in flash (GN13) and wireless flash control directly from the camera body.
Wireless flash control in up to 3 groups (separate press release available for Olympus FL-50R and FL-36R flash units)
High-speed USB 2.0 interface
High-speed data writing and lossless RAW compression for quick processing
Simultaneous writing of RAW and JPEG
Dual memory slot for CompactFlash and xD-Picture Cards
(incl. support for UDMA High-Speed CF cards and Microdrive)

Scott Brady

Founder
We only keep bodies for about 10,000 shutter releases and then sell them. It is just a good rotation frequency for us.

I did consider not selling it, and keeping until 20,000 releases, as this camera has an unbelievable 150,000 shutter release service life! Combined with the magnesium body and weather sealing, it is pretty bomber.

I plan to buy another 4/3 camera to replace it. Not sure which one yet though.

landcruising

Adventurer
I am very happy with my Sony R1 [which is over 50.000 images and 4 years now] and I had looked at the E-3 numerous times before. I always said, I don't want to carry big stuff anymore. I once had a life like that. So the compromise for me was the R1 which does a lot of things for me. Just missing a great zoom and wanting something smaller to fit in my pocket.

So if I would do make the step to a E-3 that would still mean I had to buy a zoom and something small for my pocket....

The problem doesn't get solved only gets bigger and heavier.

I have to think it over. Especially since this drops on my doorstep like out of the blue sky and is not budgeted at all.

Coen

Scott Brady

Founder
I understand. I will put it on ebay in a few days, so there is a little time.

I went with the E-3 because of it being the only camera to combine a compact size (smaller than an EOS rebel) and ultimate durability.

I am sold on the 4/3 system. Being a travel photographer, I am willing to give up a little image quality at the extremes to have a camera with me more often.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles