5Runner's 5Cruiser Build Thread

5Runner

Adventurer
I am selling my baby. (no not my boy in the window!) UPDATE: SOLD!!

sanjuans.jpg

Because I am starting my new build with a 1999 Land Cruiser. Here it is stock, right after bring it home

6aad8787.jpg

I am going to save all the links to parts and writeups that interest me and may help or be part of my build. This is kind of the "research database" part of my build thread. It will definitely be helpful to me to save all the data I collect in one place, but also to allow others to see my thoughts. Maybe you will get ideas, or maybe you can share some ideas with me about what I have posted.

THE BUILD PICTURES BEGIN AFTER THE NEXT FEW POSTS

Last edited:

5Runner

Adventurer
The strategy

This is the strategy I am going to use to build this Cruiser.

First minor mods
-Removing running boards -DONE AND SOLD-
-Removing 3rd row seat -DONE-
-Removing aftermarket wheel flares DONE
-Sell them all for mod money.

Moving over from my runner, unless a buyer will pay for them
Dual yellow top battery setup - DONE
CB and antenna - DONE
Winch (have to get the bumper first, but the winch will be waiting) -DONE (and got the bumper)

First major mod:
A very nice welding set up. Before the lift or the tires, I am buying a welder. (still waiting for the right time/welder to buy)

First round goal of mods
OME lift
BFG AT 285's - DONE (went with 295/75/16)
Front bumper - DONE

This is just the start for now...of the immediate goals.

Last edited:

5Runner

Adventurer
Last edited:

5Runner

Adventurer
The write ups...the ones that have gone before me

This is where I am going to save the write ups I find for reference to the build to come!!

Okay, this is like the meca of write ups.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/30754-100-series-lc-lx-faq-featured-trucks.html

Dual Battery:
I got some great tips from here that I am going to use for the dual battery set up. Like two fuse aux fuse boxes, so an inside one can run the inside stuff. My runner has sooooo many wire run through the fire wall for all the extra stuff inside. Running one wire to a box inside is much cleaner.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/359086-national-luna-dual-battery-install.html

This setup by Slee uses 2 Odessy batteries in the stock location.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/20351-lx470-dual-battery-system-shower.html

Suspension
This is an amazing write up about someones experience with various lifts. Very good research material.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/az-arizona-...tion-differences-evaluations-john-shotts.html

How to adjust the torsion bars for more lift
http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/278473-properly-re-indexing-your-t-bars.html

Storage
http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/361659-rear-tailgate-storage.html

Starter Replacement This doesn't look like a fun job... but I need to do it really soon.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/148025-90k-starter-replacement-job.html

Raising the spare tire
http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/76405-spare-tire-modifications.html

Last edited:

5Runner

Adventurer
The build begins 1

This is the diary of my build. I have been editing this post regularly to keep up with the build.

09-11-2010:
I have removed the running boards. First mod! It has gone from Mall Crawler to Poser Crawler...hey...it's a start!
RBoff.jpg

09-18-2010:
Tore into the rear cargo area to start planning the new cargo kitchen/storage/dog seat build. I am going to do this one right and permanent from the get go. Here is the link to my previous kitchen work I did in my 4runner.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45040&highlight=kitchen

The runners kitchen was built of wood and within the stock confines of the cargo area. The LC will be of steel and...well...you will see in the pics how it will make use of every bit of space.

Bucket of parts removed that will not go back (speaker, seat belts, seat anchors, jack, etc, etc.)
IMG_20100918_165720.jpg

IMG_20100918_182908.jpg

I really, really want to yank out the rear ac fan/coil/box thingying in this picture. It would give me soooo much more space. The only problem is this also controls the middle seat where my kiddos will be. I need to come up with a way to get air to the middle seat and then this giant box is coming out for good.
IMG_20100918_182921.jpg

9-19-2010
I removed the switches from center console, and put them in the dashj.
movedswitches.jpg

The next step is to add a third cup holder, a wallet cubby, and another storage spot into the center console.

09-24-2010
I got my new BFG all terrain 295/75/16's!
Tires2.jpg

Tires1.jpg
\

09-25-2010
Picked up a brand new ARB bull bar from 4wheel drive parts clearance sale for $350!!
ARB1.jpg

09-26-2010
Remove the wheel flares
Flaresremoved.jpg

Removed the bumper
bumperremoved2.jpg

Installed the CB
CBInstalled.jpg

Installed a DRL switch
DRLswitch.jpg

Discovered a Kenwood amp below the passenger seat!?!
AMP3.jpg

It was a good weekend.

10-18-2010
I've got a week off and I plan to do quite a bit of work to the Cruiser

Yesterday I drained the engine oil, tranny fluid, transfer case, front diff and power steering fluid and replaced them all with Amsoil! Rear diff and brake fluid to be done soon.

Today, I disassembled and thoroughly cleaned the front end. My CV axles are going to CVJ's tomorrow morning to be refurbished. Here is how my rig looks right now in the driveway.
IMG_20101018_165510.jpg

10-21-2010
Installed refurbished CV axles. CVJ axles in the Denver area did them. I got silicone boots on the liters for added flexyness. I wish I had done the inner ones too. Darn it. Not complaining though...got new axles!!
IMG_20101020_180312.jpg

11-1-10 to 2-10-11
Moved the dual yellow tops from the runner into the 100's stock location.
IMG_20101117_161711.jpg

Replaced the starter. That was quite a job, but well worth it. The gears on the old one were trashed.
IMG_20101119_135821.jpg

Moved all the center console switches to the dash and started modifying the center console. Got a third cup holder added.
movedswitches.jpg

IMG_20101104_072751.jpg

Moved my M8000 winch and got the ARB bumper on. I modified the bumper and bracket so that the control is hidden away. Down the road I probably should get the 9000 winch.
IMG_20101120_153433.jpg

IMG_20101120_171733.jpg

"Tucked" my spare. I moved the cross member that supports the spare tire crank up with some spacers. I made them different lengths to level out the spare so it would tuck further. I also had to relocate a few other parts. This is as high as I can go without modifying the crank somehow. it raised it up 1.25 inches. I bought a "skinny" spare 255/85/16 which is about the same diameter of my 295/75/16's. This slimmed it another 1.5 inches. I will post a before and after pic tomorrow when I pick up the spare from discount. Part of this mod is removing my bumper and not putting it back. For now I am rolling with no bumper, but I will be building one soon enough. I am tinkering with some designs that include a skid of sorts to protect the spare.

Bracket raised:
IMG_20110129_155011.jpg

"Before" picture: It is hanging about 6" lower than the cross member.
IMG_20110128_143504.jpg

"After" picture: This is with my skinny spare and the tuck. I am planning a 3/4" body lift. That with a bit more metal work, and I plan to tuck it another 1.75 inches. Next will be a custom skid for it.
IMG_20110214_164309.jpg

IMG_20110214_164249.jpg

Be forwarned...this is no simply bolt-on accessory build thread here guys. I am going to butcher this LC in ways that may make some of you cringe. Stay tuned.

NOTE: third row seating parts will be up for sale (seats, seatbelts, speaker, AC (I hope))

Last edited:

5Runner

Adventurer
The build begins 2

FINALLY ITS TIME TO LIFT THIS BAD BOY!

March 2011
OME lift installed. Front torsion bars, firm shocks, rear 863 coils. So far it's what I planned. I have a rake for "daily wheeling" and then when loaded for camping I think I will sit level. Soon to find out.
IMG_20110409_182950.jpg

April 2011
Finished my custom bling. I acquired the nickname 5Runner when I had my 4runner (there's five of us). My runner was debadged when I got it and I made it out of the SR5 and 4Runner emblems. Yeah...it's corny...but it's fun! Betcha I got the only 5Runner out there!
IMG_20110415_170155.jpg

You've seen the stripping of the rear cargo area in the other pictures. Well after about 5 months of it like that while I planned my build, the time has come to build version 1.0. I have a trip to Moab and I've set a precedent for our camping style after building my 4runner kitchen. So...I am building this one as a test version. I have used all 1/2" ply to keep it cheaper and lighter to test the geometry of the system this season. I plan to disassemble it all next winter to rebuild with likely changes to the design and a combination of wood and steel. I will also build my full water/hotwater/compressed air system this winter.

Here is the 4Runner kitchen build that I plan to outdo in the LC:
cdcfc8ae.jpg

I bolted a 1/2" sheet of plywood down to the metal cargo floor deck. In the final version I will use an insulation beneath it and filling in the metal corrugation.
IMG_20110416_162418.jpg

Here is how it looked after the first weekend. This picture shows where the fridge will sit:
IMG_20110417_151954.jpg

Here is how it looks now, after the second weekend. Here you see the two 7 gallon water tanks in the center. The plan is to use one and then move them and swap the faucet. That way I could tuck the one behind the center wall. The center wall will hold the fire extinguisher, mag light and etc. Unlike the 4runner kitchen (see link above) I will retain my visibility out of the upper portion (other than the center wall). I will use some nylon webbing on the cargo door side so the "granny's attic" as I call it (the area above the fridge and water tanks) can be stuffed with our clothes bags from the "extended cab" portion. (more on that later)
IMG_20110425_123838.jpg

The recess in the drawer was necessary. The faucet is as far back to the door as possible, but I didn't want to have to move all the drawers back for clearance. The water tank area will be lined in rubber membrane that will extend out under the faucet and down the face of the recess. My plan is for that to act as a shield when water is used. It will direct water down and through the gap between the floor and the door (removed the cover). It will also direct water away from my stuff if the tank leaks. I have more to plan on this whole idea.
IMG_20110425_123850.jpg

Drawers are raised so that they just barely rest on the tailgate when open. This helps support the drawers with the cheap slides I had...saves the $$ of having to buy heavy load slides. I had 24" and 30" slides on hand from the various 4runner versions, so I used both. I will decide this year what length I prefer. The drawers are 9 inches deep and 14" or so wide. They do not take the depth of the cargo area, as I have the extended cab area.
IMG_20110425_123903.jpg

The area to the left in the photos above is for our dog. When the seat is folded down, this area becomes a one-man sleeping platform. I built the drawers at this height for that reason.
IMG_20110417_152038.jpg

In the area behind and above the wheel well I can fit a lot of stuff. I have two hinged panels here. Because I hacked up the interior molding and stripped stuff like the speaker and factory jack/tools built into the sides. Future versions will include a much better finish in these areas, but I am just testing it out for functionality right now.
IMG_20110425_123932.jpg

I put a plug in a little nook in the side for the fridge.
IMG_20110425_124032.jpg

Here is the "extended cab". This area is not as wide as the whole rig, as it is cut short by the dogs area. However, the drawer does not go all the way back, so extended cab goes under the dogs platform. This way I can store long items. The hole you see goes to the small space behind the water tanks. Figured something would fit in there.
IMG_20110425_124136.jpg

Yup, it's ugly, but I don't care. It may get wrapped in carpet or something when I am all done. This is making use of a bunch of space behind the panel. Now I can fit really long stuff in the extended cab, and I have more room overall. I thought it might also be integrated into a jumper seat type thing, but it is a bit too narrow back there for that, and the depth of the fridge limits the size of the extended cab.
IMG_20110425_124108.jpg

Here is a test fit of the extended cab. I fit everything that used to be on the roof of the runner inside and I didn't fill above the seats. I fit 2 adult folding chairs, 3 kids chairs, 4 man tent, 5 sleeping bags, 4 thermarests, 1 small folding table, a large tarp and a back of emergency cloths for all five of us. Oh yeah... No more climbing up to the roof. The "attic" and the rest of the xcab area will fit our 5 clothes bags and we're set!!
IMG_20110417_114241.jpg

Side by side here's the runner build compared to the LC build.
c37af2c1.jpg

IMG_20110425_123838.jpg

FEBRUARY 2012

Well, I had a busy summer/fall of 2011 building a new shop at my house, so I didn't do much with this build. It's all part of my LC build, a means to an ends, so I figured I'd post a few pics.

BEFORE (the foundation is being poured)
IMG_20110423_095015.jpg

TEST FITTING THE LC FOR FUTURE WRENCHING. Its a two car garage...or really an oversized one-car. It's going to be tall though...
IMG_20110506_122226.jpg

NOW: I've still got some siding to finish and electrical to do, but I'm getting there. It's detached from the house, but I can get to it through the new covered deck. It's got a 210 sf loft that fits over the large two car door when it's open. The one-car door in the back is nice for cross breeze.
IMG_20120202_135203.jpg

OKAY, ENOUGH OF THAT, LETS GET BACK TO THE RIG!

So I bought a piece of HDPE (or something) from a local plastic supplier. I've got enough extra ones for another full set. PM me if you want to make a deal for them.
bodyliftpucks.jpg

3/4" is about as much as you can go without having to mess with a bunch of other stuff. I figured it was wise to do before I move forward with custom steel for this rig. My sliders can be a little higher up now. My spare, a little higher. I can fit 35" tires if I want to now (so they say).
Here's the little gap that became at my front bumper. Gotta raise the bumper
IMG_20120211_130523.jpg

Here's the new stance...uh...wow, what a difference... ha!
IMG_20120211_130617.jpg

I scored some slightly used Wet Okole set covers for $80. Awesome steal, at $500 for a new set
IMG_20120211_130504.jpg

IMG_20120211_130438.jpg

Last edited:

5Runner

Adventurer
The build continues 1

FEBRUARY 2012

Still playing catch up on the build.

I installed an ARB air compressor:
IMG_20110510_184119.jpg

IMG_20110510_184136.jpg

IMG_20110506_222332.jpg

So I can keep a short piece of hose, I put two outlets, one front, one rear:
In the front, inside the bumper:
IMG_20110510_183711.jpg

In the back, at the "No Bumper"
IMG_20110510_183620.jpg

I got a factory rack from a local IH8MUD member for $20. I'm going to add the two extra cross members to mine so I can beef it up for carrying stuff. It will be my cheapo roof rack this year, as the front locker and steering rack project are going to kill me. More on in the next few weeks. Perhaps a March/April 2012 update.

FEBRUARY 25th

Since I had the power steering system drained for the rack replacement, I thought I play around with my idea to shift the reservoir.

Before:
psresmoved5.jpg

GUTTED: I moved the ABS wire by splicing in a length. You can see it in the bottom corner of the engine bay running across the center of the picture (black line). I move the un-used harness of wierd plugs and zip-tied them to the side:
ABSwirererouted.jpg

Okay master fabricators...don't pick on me here. I made this using only a sheet of metal, jigsaw, grinder, metal hammer, block of wood and a table vise. A drill too. It took me two tries to get the angles right. The stupid bracket mounts at three different levels. I shifted it about 3 1/4 inches. I'm sure when I get better skills and tools in the future I'll redo it. As everything for me...a work in progress
IMG_20120226_151434.jpg

IMG_20120226_151857.jpg

The metal is not thick, 16 gauge I think, but it is way strong enough. I pushed and pulled on it and it does not move. I put folds in it in the right spots to make is strong by geometry.
psresmoved2.jpg

Reservoir installed and plumbed. I didn't even have to modify any of the stock components to do this. Plug and play (other than lengthening one wire)
PSresmoved1.jpg

Now...what its all about...

I am going to buy, modify, or build a cradle or box that will fit 9 quarts of oil containers. If I build my own, I will probably be able to fit two more in the lower part (tapered bottom).

3 wide:
psresmoved3.jpg

times 3 long: (EDIT: i know it looks like the hose is touching the exhaust manifold in this picture, but it's pretty far away from it. There are other hoses in stock position closer.)
psresmoved4.jpg

MARCH 2012:

A lot has been happening this Spring...getting ready for a good season of 4x-camping!

Refurbished Steering Rack with Poly Bushings (that was a tough DIY job!)
IMG_20120222_140846.jpg

Starting V2.0 of the cargo build. The previous one was a test version I used for the first season. This version will have a built-in 12 gallon tank with pump (will be located where blue water jugs in photo are). This version will include a custom slide for the fridge, a modular upper portion (dog divider/enclosure over fridge) that can be removed so a sleeping platform remains. The sleeping platform will work for either myself and one/two kids or me and my wife (if we ever get a trip alone). Though I am "5Runner" because it's usually all five of us, I am preparing for the future. Chances are as the kids get older it will be harder to get us all together. I figure there will be trips with just parts of the family and a sleeping platform will be nice to have over a tent.
cargobuildv23.jpg

cargobuildv21.jpg

Added two extra cross members to the factory rack...until I can afford a Gamiviti rack.

IMG_20120216_154450.jpg

Front ARB Locker Installed!
I took the diff out and down to Slee to put a locker in it.

[video] [/video]

I also cut out the resonator for adding clearance in the back
parts.jpg

Last edited:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
NICE!!!! You found one. Sorry she's not to your liking now, but I'll bet you didn't like a few things on your 4Runn er before you built it up too eh ;) (that is one sweet/clean looking 3rd gen BTW, that would be hard to let go) THe 100 Series will be looking perfect before you know it. Congrats on the sweet new rig.

Cheers

Dave

5Runner

Adventurer
NICE!!!! You found one. Sorry she's not to your liking now, but I'll bet you didn't like a few things on your 4Runn er before you built it up too eh ;) (that is one sweet/clean looking 3rd gen BTW, that would be hard to let go) THe 100 Series will be looking perfect before you know it. Congrats on the sweet new rig.

Cheers

Dave
Thanks Dave!

Yup, I've got more experience under my belt with this build, after all the practice on the runner. Yes...I still haven't brought myself to post up my runner for sale, but after tearing into the LC yesterday I am getting more excited. Besides, the wife is starting to get upset at my having TWO rigs right now...I'm going to have to part with my baby runner soon...to pay off the LC...

earlier posts updated with new pics from this weekend. Caution...the butchering may upset some of you 100 series lovers!

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Yup, you're already making me cringe a bit, but I'm intrigued to see where this goes!

-H-

5Runner

Adventurer
I hope the poor dog gets more room this time.

His space will be a bit deeper, and a bit taller, but probably not much wider.

He will also get a nice little step stool to help him get up. The LC has the tailgate, where the runner didn't. He only had a small ledge, to sort of skip off of to get up and over the slot for storage beneath his deck. In the LC he can use the tail gate. This will be a much better and safer design for the dog...especially when he gets older.

Really though, he's as happy as can be, and doesn't "need" anymore space. I wouldn't say "poor" dog...he is pretty happy and lucky to get to go on the trips. Just think of the dedication it takes of me to design the whole rear cargo area to include a special spot just for him. That shows his importance. Many others would probably just leave the dog at home...

Klierslc

Explorer
The 80 series doesn't have rear air and the 2nd row passengers stay comfortable....Can you shut off the rear AC and see how it feels in the 2nd row? If enough air is getting through, then chuck the rear AC unit....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior