6.0 Diesel Input Requested?

JumpJ

Adventurer
I have a 2003 Ford Excursion, with the 6.0 Diesel, which we are converting into an Overland Exped Vehicle.

PROBLEM
When I start it in the morning I am finding I have to wait for it to get quite warm before it will give me power. Once warm nothing can stop it. And off road it has been a dream.

Is there something starting to fail-am I missing something ?

Thanks in advance for the input.
Will

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Is the check engine lite on? Are you using the right weight of oil and has it been changed recently? Have you ever had any turbo problems? The Ford 6.0 is pretty complicated and no power when cold could be caused by quite a number of different things. I would start with making sure you have the right oil in it. It uses pressurized oil to do quite a bit besides lubrication, turbo vane pitch is one, injector firing is another. If your oil is too thick it could cause problems until it is warmed up and the viscosity goes down. Start with the simple stuff first, do a through visual inpection looking for loose hoses, wires, etc. After verfying correct oil and everything looks hooked up then I would scan the ECM for codes and see if are there. Even if the check engine light is off, still get it scanned for codes.

Doing a arm chair diagnosis I would be suspicious of the VGT(variable geometry turbo) as they seem to have quite a few issues. Monitor boost pressure when hot versus cold and you will be able to see if your turbo is spooling correctly. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

toy_tek

Adventurer
Mine did the same thing, unless it was already 100 degrees outside, I just let it idle for 5 minutes or so before moving the truck.

chasespeed

Explorer
Mine did the same thing, unless it was already 100 degrees outside, I just let it idle for 5 minutes or so before moving the truck.

Yep. My service truck has a 6.0. Same thing. When you start it for the first time each day, give it 5-10 mins... then, go easy on it for a mile or 2...

I am easy on mine when cold, my truck is HEAVY.

We have a crane truck(550) w/ the 6.0, same thing... just give it a little time. Diesels dont like to be cold....

Dont know how long you've had it, but, if its new to you, wait till the first really cold morning, it'll scare ya when it fires over...

Chase

JumpJ

Adventurer
Thanks Lads. Oil Chaged regulary. Not abused and recent major service. makes sense that just to be patient. Once again Full Size Guys come through - Thanks

JumpJ

Adventurer
OK so after that statement let me emphasize I meant Domestic Full Size Trucks........bloody hell.

jtz592

E-450

We have an E-450 at work with a 6.0 diesel, and I can't stress enough the importance of having the ecm scanned just for piece of mind. We've had the truck in the dealer 4 times because it was way down on power, funny noises etc. and not once did the service engine light come on. It took the mechanics a couple of times to replace the correct part even with the codes it was throwing. Even cold it shouldn't be crazy slow.

JumpJ

Adventurer
Good advise I'll get that scanned. It has been warm here in Santa Fe, so i have not plugged it in yet. Small puff o smoke at start but then nothing until next day start.

jagular7

Adventurer
There are several diesel forums out there that help understand the restrictions and upgrades of the 6.0l.
I've got a 05 6.0l. Yah, better let the engine idle warm for 5-10 mins or so in cooler weather. Also keep the throttle to a light touch till temps are up.

Other strong suggestions: timely proper maintenance and filtration for the fuel, oil and coolant. Use Motorcraft filters. Stay consistent with the mfr and type of the oil. Add by-pass filters to the cooling and oil systems. The cooling passages carry sandy residue and this hurting the internal cooling systems and the water pump. The by-pass coolant filter removes this debri. As stated, the oil system performs more than lubrication. It is the hydraulics for the injectors. Keep it clean and with vescosity, the engine will be happier. Adding a by-pass filter screens down to 2 microns whereas the stock filter is 13-15 microns. Changing the standard oil filter at 7.5k, perform oil changes (after oil analysis as required), the fuel filters at 10k, and the external trans filter at 10k. Since the injectors use the oil for pressurizing, adding 1 of 2 additives will support them for better performance.

You will read a lot about other issues dealing with the head bolts. If maintained and used properly, the 6.0l will last. Adding a tuner with custom tunes supports many other effects/actions done to the 6.0l. Delete kits for the egr are readily available. Adding an hi-flow intake is not necessary for near stock engines. Adding hi-flow exhaust is welcome.

I had to add an egr delete kit as the cooler broke and I ate coolant (cheaper than new cooler added; oil cooler has upgraded at same time). I added SCT tuner (customs from Innovative Diesel) to support the removal of the CEL and get better performance from my stock 6.0l. I've added by-pass filters for the coolant and oil and am still under the initial install mileage. My next additions will be the exhaust and oil additives (after change).

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
The EGR cooler failing is one of the big reasons for blown head gaskets on the Ford 6.0. Adding way too much power on a tuner is another way. DieselPower magazine just did an article on a HD EGR cooler for the 6.0's. It is of course illegal to delete it but most places don't have smog police yet. HOWEVER if you live in California make sure whatever you do has the CARB EO # on it because the smog police (I guess I am one of them because I am a licensed smog tech) are smogging diesels from 98 and up. A deleted EGR or check engine light on will cause your diesel rig to fail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz