Paper Atlas: Delorme Vs. Benchmark

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
I too am getting ready to get a set of quality state road maps and BM/DL seem to be the top contenders. However I did look at Rand McNally and NGS but they seem to be more into folded maps. I tried to find a local store with both DL and BM available and if so, same states, to do an actual comparison of the same map area. Unfortunately, BM is not locally available unless special ordered. Perhaps someone here can do this for us and give us a unbiased opinion of the two?

In summary then from the above postings:

Delorme (DL)

PROS
  • larger scale
  • campground listing
  • better topography - actual contour lines
  • metro larger scale
  • labels BLM roads
CONS
  • poor road description - some missing data
  • road don't always exist
  • colours for topography and other features are difficult to discern
  • road info is sometimes out of date
  • GPS data accuracy/quality tends to be better than the hard copy

Benchmark (BM)

PROS
  • good road descriptions
  • good additional descriptional info
  • good contrast in colours used for features - good clarity
  • shading is preferred by some
  • road usually are there
  • easier to use by some
  • seems to be the preferred ones to use
CONS
  • smaller scale
  • topography less detailed - uses shading instead of contours

Other factors to keep in mind:
  • What year the maps were published in (or how current the data/info on the maps)?
  • BMs tend to be about 50% more in MSRP and are not as widely available as DL (been around a bit longer).

It would seem from just this thread thus far and from discussions I have had from some of my trailing friends, that BM seems to be the way to go.

Having said that, and as Kurt points out, some BMs maybe better over certain states/areas than DLs and visa versa. Bottom line - is a user choice of presentation and accuracy/quality over the state or area of interest.:costumed-smiley-007

Last edited:

deserteagle56

Adventurer
CanuckMariner; [* said:
What year the maps were published in (or how current are the maps)?
[*]BMs tend to be about 50% more in MSRP and are not as widely available as DL (been around a bit longer). QUOTE)

In the last month I have picked up new copies of both Delorme (2010 edition) and Benchmark (2011 edition) map atlases of the State of Nevada. I much prefer the Benchmark; I even prefer the older edition I have of the Delorme to the new one. Again I am finding that even with the new editions the Benchmark road information is more accurate. As far as price, both atlases cost the same here - $20. Yet - I use both Garmin and Delorme GPS units and the Delorme topo maps are much superior to what Garmin puts out, and I have found a few situations where the GPS map on the Delorme has more accurate information than the new Delorme paper atlas. Now, why would that be??

CanuckMariner/Nomad

In the last month I have picked up new copies of both Delorme (2010 edition) and Benchmark (2011 edition) map atlases of the State of Nevada. I much prefer the Benchmark; I even prefer the older edition I have of the Delorme to the new one. Again I am finding that even with the new editions the Benchmark road information is more accurate. As far as price, both atlases cost the same here - $20. Yet - I use both Garmin and Delorme GPS units and the Delorme topo maps are much superior to what Garmin puts out, and I have found a few situations where the GPS map on the Delorme has more accurate information than the new Delorme paper atlas. Now, why would that be??

Excellent! If I may impose on you, please look at the two volumes side by side over the same area/region and see what the difference is in presentation (colour, line quality, shading, etc.). Perhaps you can scan or photo a page from each over the same area/region and post these up here for comparison. Much appreciated!

As for road information accuracy, is your conclusion based on roads that you have actually driven or ?

As for price - I found my price info based on internet research from their sites, eBay, Amazon, etc. and DL having been around a bit longer seems to be a bit less expensive ($10.99 and up) whereas BM being a newer kid on the block is around $20 plus. This price variation may also be due to vintage of each copy. When listing DL for sale, the year of publication is not always quoted.

I have heard more praises for the new kid BM than for DL so far.:costumed-smiley-007

EDIT: I called DL and spoke with a publishing representative (to get their insight of the pros/cons of the respective products) who didn't know about BM, surprisingly. He said "...we've enough to do without looking for competition, map makers come and go but we've been around the longest".

I went to BM's site and found an email directly to their editor and am awaiting their response. Let you know when I hear back.

Last edited:

soonenough

Explorer
EDIT: I called DL and spoke with a publishing representative (to get their insight of the pros/cons of the respective products) who didn't know about BM, surprisingly. He said "...we've enough to do without looking for competition, map makers come and go but we've been around the longest".
Sounds like a pretty arrogant business attitude; that will eventually catch up with them if that's representative of the company leadership as a whole. Makes me kinda regret buying a product from them.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Nice to see that this thread is benefiting people. I just received two more Benchmark Atlases.
Utah and Arizona. Kinda strange looking around a state you arent as familiar with as your home state. I have visited both in the past but am looking forward to some expeditions to each in the future.

fishbum

Observer
Sounds like a pretty arrogant business attitude; that will eventually catch up with them if that's representative of the company leadership as a whole. Makes me kinda regret buying a product from them.

Perhaps the comment was meant to say that they don't know every single competitor of their paper products so they don't have any specific comments about the pro/cons of all of them. Meanwhile they will keep pumping out the atlases as they have been for almost 30 years. I don't see any arrogance there. I'm sure they are more focused on growth markets (not paper).

soonenough

Explorer
Perhaps the comment was meant to say that they don't know every single competitor of their paper products so they don't have any specific comments about the pro/cons of all of them. Meanwhile they will keep pumping out the atlases as they have been for almost 30 years. I don't see any arrogance there. I'm sure they are more focused on growth markets (not paper).
You could be right. If so, I retract my previous statements.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

I have found no other competitors that make similar Atlas/Gazetteer like booklets. The competition isn't really that large nor the market - for those atlas/gazetteer booklets. Even NGS doesn't make a similar booklet by state. Both are good products, simply a personal perspective/preference, I guess.

I would have thought DL (1976) would know about BM (1995) (BM definitely knows about DL/NGS and NGS knows of them both), for sure. Perhaps he just didn't want to make any comments at all.:costumed-smiley-007

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Excellent! If I may impose on you, please look at the two volumes side by side over the same area/region and see what the difference is in presentation (colour, line quality, shading, etc.). Perhaps you can scan or photo a page from each over the same area/region and post these up here for comparison. Much appreciated!

As for road information accuracy, is your conclusion based on roads that you have actually driven or ?

As for price - I found my price info based on internet research from their sites, eBay, Amazon, etc. and DL having been around a bit longer seems to be a bit less expensive ($10.99 and up) whereas BM being a newer kid on the block is around $20 plus. This price variation may also be due to vintage of each copy. When listing DL for sale, the year of publication is not always quoted.

I have heard more praises for the new kid BM than for DL so far.:costumed-smiley-007

I went to BM's site and found an email directly to their editor and am awaiting their response. Let you know when I hear back.

Ask and ye shall receive! Below is a scan of an area I spent a weekend in this past summer, the Wilson Creek Range in eastern Nevada.

First, the Delorme 2010 map:
Picture0005.jpg

And the same approximate area from the Benchmark 2011 map:
Picture0001.jpg

Note how much more detail there is in the Benchmark map - all the springs, peaks, passes and man-made features named that don't appear on the Delorme map. Even the giant antenna farm and VORTAC facility on Mt. Wilson is not noted on the Delorme. The roads and trails on the Benchmark are in a nice contrasty red color, much easier to see to my old eyes than the faint traces of the same on the Delorme. What the Benchmark map calls the Buckhorn Ranch Road, that goes over Pioneer Pass to the Fry Ranch Retreat center, is marked as a good, major road. But on the Delorme map that same road is an "unimproved road". Yet it is an excellent, graded, smooth road that is designated by the state of Nevada as a scenic byway, although because there are some switchbacks they don't recomment large travel trailers!
IMG_2938.jpg

The road going over Pioneer Pass:
IMG_2876.jpg

I live here in the middle of Nevada and spend all my free time exploring the outback (and have done so for the past 40+years) . So yes, I have driven or ridden a great many of the roads on these maps and verified the map's accuracy. Don't get me wrong - both atlases contain information that is a little different and that's why I buy and use both. Both atlases are eminently useable. But for the type of exploring I do, if I were forced to choose but one of the maps it would be the Benchmark.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Many thanks deserteagle56 for your efforts/time to scan/photo the two areas. I must admit initially I am in agreement with your comments about both and that BM looks much easier to read. I will take a closer look at both now that I have a copy of each. Thanks again for your comparison.:costumed-smiley-007

EDIT: I have to admit, after looking at both in more detail the BM is easier to read. Having said this, I am wondering if this comparison is valid over all regions/states for the two mapping companies? However, having heard various comments from numerous users as well as members of this forum that favour BM, I too am inclined to go that way as well.

Last edited:

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Many thanks deserteagle56 for your efforts/time to scan/photo the two areas. I must admit initially I am in agreement with your comments about both and that BM looks much easier to read. I will take a closer look at both now that I have a copy of each. Thanks again for your comparison.:costumed-smiley-007

EDIT: I have to admit, after looking at both in more detail the BM is easier to read. Having said this, I am wondering if this comparison is valid over all regions/states for the two mapping companies? However. Having heard various comments from numerous users as well as members of this forum that favour BM, I too am inclined to go that way as well.

I have the atlases for Oregon, Nevada and Utah only, so I can't comment with any authority on any other regions of the country. I suppose since Delorme is based in Maine they might have better, more accurate maps of the eastern states. I've not seen any atlases of the eastern states from either provider so I have no idea.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
...Note how much more detail there is in the Benchmark map - all the springs, peaks, passes and man-made features ... The roads and trails on the Benchmark are in a nice contrasty red color, much easier to see to my old eyes than the faint traces of the same on the Delorme.
My thoughts and words exactly :26_7_2:

Benchmark Maps does not cover the eastern half of the US. I have CA, ID, OR, UT and WA. I'll be sure to add others as the need arises.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Another item I like about BM, is that the naming of geographical/topographical features. Names are offset somewhat so that they do not overlap each other nor anything else. Colours have been picked to allow for good contrast. Both (BM/DL) seem to have the same roads depicted in the same locations, whether they exist or are as good or bad as the symbol indicates must be collaborated on the ground.

I believe that they both focus these booklets more on the western states as there is more open land to explore, whereas eastern states most land has been taken up by agriculture or parks or is private.:costumed-smiley-007

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Thanks for the great topic ETAV8R! I was sitting in an REI trying to discern the differences as well. Great feedback here!

I suppose the only benefit to the DeLorme on the above example is if you were flying a plane west of Mt. Wilson and needed a place to land. ;)

I'll be purchasing the Benchmark's. Oregon business ******!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles