Paper Atlas: Delorme Vs. Benchmark

Terrainist

Explorer
Since so many espouse the Benchmark brand, I'll have to look at getting some. I just recently went with some Delorme's because they had bigger maps, and they upgraded to making the roads black instead of red. When they were doing the roads in red previously, you literally could not read the maps -- they were useless. Which, with the previous post pointing to their business attitude and the fact that they didn't care if their maps could actually be used leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Happiness is good maps.

And thanks for posting up the pics comparing the two maps, that's a huge help. BM has their roads in red, but it works if the back ground isn't dark.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I suppose the only benefit to the DeLorme on the above example is if you were flying a plane west of Mt. Wilson and needed a place to land. ;)

Precisely why I buy and carry both atlases. Each generally has little tidbits of information that the other one doesn't. Still, if I could carry only one it would be the Benchmark.

But here in the outback of Nevada landing a plane just about anywhere isn't much of a problem. Most of the dirt roads will have long straight sections on them and there is generally no traffic to worry about. People land planes on them all the time....from what I read in the papers, drug smugglers use them all the time too!

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
Benchmark Map Books on sale at Amazon

all Benchmark map books by state (NEW) are on sale at Amazon and free shipping if order is over $25....:costumed-smiley-007

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I'm going to revive this thread. On a recent trip a friend had a California version of the DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer. Just glancing at it I appreciated the colors in the topography. I ordered one and started looking at some favorite areas. Major errors as far as roads listed in two sections of Death Valley. Just from those two errors it leads me to wonder how many more are in the atlas. I really wanted to like it. It is probably going back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles