El Cheapo tire deflator

MotoDave

Explorer
I can't claim credit for this, ntsqd showed me his and I copied it. I thought other people might be interested as well.

McMaster-Carr sells pop air relief valves in various pressure ratings. Mate one to a clip on air chuck, and you have a tire deflator for around $20.

Air chuck: 6140A62 $8.40 (or get one for $5 at Harbor freight)
Pop-valve, 15 psi: 9024K113 $14.80
Pop-valve, 20 psi: 9024K114 $14.80

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I tried this...only problem is that as you near the pressure setting, the flow drops significantly and takes FOREVER to reach the setting. I have found it easier to just buy a couple locking air chucks, clip them into each valve stem, and just keep an eye on the pressures as the tires deflate. I run 65 lbs on the street and 30 on the trail, so each tire takes about a minute to air down (285x75x16 tires). I have two chucks, so I start one tire, wait a minute, and then start the next. Once the first one is done, I basically just time each tire and swap the chuck to the next one in line. Works fast, and is cheap.

Just my $0.02.

FishPOET

Adventurer
DSCF5037.JPG

It's $30.00 and I cant deflate all 4 tires faster and more acurately than Stauns, Oasis, etc.

It removes the core out of the stem for fast deflation.

rural

Observer
EL CHEAPPO --> aftet using a can of emergency tire sealant/inflator (on the misses car, etc) keep the screw on valve and plastic tubing, recycle the can.

time your deflation in your garage that it takes to get to wanted psi.
do it with tire warm after road wear.
gives you a good apporxiamtion.

then drive to trail, pull over, deflate each tire for its ____ seconds and you are MONEY!!!

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I use the clip on air chuck from my OBA system and time it. On 285's my loss is 10lbs a min. The best part is that is exactly how long it takes my OBA to bring them back up...2 min to air down and 2 min air up perfect:ylsmoke:

Strizzo

Explorer
my air compressor takes about the same time to air up as it does to air down with my air chuck. i just keep the air chuck from my garage compressor in the truck and shove it on the valve stem to vent air pressure when i'm airing down. cost is relatively free since i already had the air chuck

wADVr

Adventurer
That Currie unit is pretty nice but my valve stem remover tool was only a couple bucks and is the best i have used. And is a tool you should have anyway IMO.
Just pull the valve stem, check the pressure drop with your tire guage and put it back in when you get down the desired PSI. Simple, fast and cheap.

chasespeed

Explorer
I keep a universal tire deflater in my back pocket:sombrero:

Seriously though, I have a tire gauge, that locks on the valve stem, with a dial, and you can delfate through that......

Chase

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Teraflex makes a $14.00 product that works well, and deflates all four tires at the same time.

Teraflex at Summit

I have a set and like them a lot better than my Stuan deflators. Conditions vary so much the Stuans are practically worthless IMHO, I need to set my tires to a different pressure on almost every trip. The Stuans are also very temperature sensitive, from what I've heard this is a common problem with pre-set deflators.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Pretty hard to beat the convenience of STAUNS !!

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

beast1210

Adventurer
EL CHEAPPO --> aftet using a can of emergency tire sealant/inflator (on the misses car, etc) keep the screw on valve and plastic tubing, recycle the can.
I second that, although I do notice that some deflate faster than others, but free is free.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I just listen for it to stop "farting". Those times that I actually do air down (semi-rare) I'm not in a hurry. Why the emphasis on speed?

I clip it on one of the fronts, and then go to work on the rears. By the time I've got a rear aired down the front has just about stopped "farting" (you need to hear it to understand!) and I'm ready to go to the other side of the truck.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
DSCF5037.JPG

It's $30.00 and I cant deflate all 4 tires faster and more acurately than Stauns, Oasis, etc.

It removes the core out of the stem for fast deflation.

Is repeatedly removing and installing the valve core good over the long term?

I saw a guy use a system I really liked and I want to try. He has 2 locking chucks attached with a length of hose, there's a ball valve and a quick connect. It allows airing down and inflating two tires on the side of the truck simultaneously.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Is repeatedly removing and installing the valve core good over the long term?

I saw a guy use a system I really liked and I want to try. He has 2 locking chucks attached with a length of hose, there's a ball valve and a quick connect. It allows airing down and inflating two tires on the side of the truck simultaneously.
Brass on brass, at the rate that I air down I'm likely to wear out the tires first.

I use a self-coiling hose with a pair of locking air chucks to equalize the rear tire pressures when airing back up, after setting both tire pressures individually. I've found this to significantly reduce the Detroit's quirky handling characteristics.
Airing up or down with it is painfully slow. Slower than doing them one tire at a time. I know that I just said that I'm not in a rush, but not in a rush doesn't mean that I'll handicap myself either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior