Diesel Ramcharger

Spur

Adventurer
I would also ask what the highest egt's he has ever seen on the pyro gauge

I usually am not a fan of paying high money for a modified diesel

X2

Also, I'm curious how much it smokes. That a lot of extra fuel with the plate and injectors, but I didn't see a mention of a new turbo. To each their own, but I think diesels that belch black smoke are pretty stupid. That's just unburned fuel going out the back, polluting, and pissing off the drivers behind you. Also, keep in mind that going from 180 HP to 360 HP will slightly lower the lifespan of the engine. They're tanks and they can take a beating, but there are consequences for doubling the HP.

EDIT: Sorry, now I see that it does have an upgraded turbo. Still, I would want to know how much it smokes.

huntsonora

Explorer
I would also ask what the highest egt's he has ever seen on the pyro gauge

I usually am not a fan of paying high money for a modified diesel

I'm not either, I like bone stock trucks but the guy that built the truck is a very well respected mechanic best I can tell. I have found more information and it seems everything was very well though out.

I have not talked with him yet, hopefully we will be in contact soon.

I love the fact that he gets between 18-20mpg in mixed use driving. I can get 22-23mpg with summer blend fuel if I take it easy on the highway with my 12 valve. Its normally closer to 20 but its pretty damn good for a truck that could pull a house

huntsonora

Explorer
X2

Also, I'm curious how much it smokes. That a lot of extra fuel with the plate and injectors, but I didn't see a mention of a new turbo. To each their own, but I think diesels that belch black smoke are pretty stupid. That's just unburned fuel going out the back, polluting, and pissing off the drivers behind you. Also, keep in mind that going from 180 HP to 360 HP will slightly lower the lifespan of the engine. They're tanks and they can take a beating, but there are consequences for doubling the HP.

EDIT: Sorry, now I see that it does have an upgraded turbo. Still, I would want to know how much it smokes.

This is a link to the turbo thats on it...

http://www.alligatorperformance.com/dpsdt6240-dtech-626512-fits-9402-dodge-cummins-p-2991.html

Any and all opinions are appreciated! I am no mechanic and am pretty ingnorant when it comes to these types of modifications.

I have a stock 12 valve in my 94 Regular cab and its more than enough power for me, I dont like to set speed records, its not why I got the truck but I do hear that when you bump the HP the "driveability" is better, whatever that means

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
My 12 valve is only just slightly modified, with fuel plate grind and the "big honkin air filter" or "BHAF". The air filter is a huge improvement in air flow and eliminates the black smoke that the fuel plate adds. I would have to say there is a huge difference with these few mods. I also like to buy stock trucks driven by grandpa,( my next on is already booked and being driven lightly at present by my 80 year old step dad), but if this Ramcharger was in my scope (pun intended hunt sonora), I think I would look past the mods. It is a low mile engine and more than capable of handling the power. I think you might wet your pants when you drive it!

Spur

Adventurer
This is a link to the turbo thats on it...

http://www.alligatorperformance.com/dpsdt6240-dtech-626512-fits-9402-dodge-cummins-p-2991.html

Any and all opinions are appreciated! I am no mechanic and am pretty ingnorant when it comes to these types of modifications.

I have a stock 12 valve in my 94 Regular cab and its more than enough power for me, I dont like to set speed records, its not why I got the truck but I do hear that when you bump the HP the "driveability" is better, whatever that means

My 12v is bone stock right now, but I have plans similar to what has been done to this truck: injectors, fuel screw, governor spring, and a larger turbo. For me the "driveability" issues are really about hills. I live in a very hilly area and I'm moving to the mountains in the fall. With more power, I will have better hill climbing and more latitude when I shift.

I think it's probably a great truck. My questions and concerns aren't meant to be introduce fear and doubt (FUDD) but rather just some things I would want to know before I bought it. I hope it works out! I would love to own that thing.

Terrainist

Explorer
There looks to be a shock absorber trailing the rear leaf spring in one of the photos. Possibly to help mitigate rear axle wrap with all that torque? Might ask him about that.

I'd check out and ask about everything you can, make a list of questions. Ask him what is wrong with the truck (there is something wrong with everything) and what else he would do to it if he were keeping it to make it the way it needs to be in his eyes. He built the truck, so pick his brain.

Ask him if he ever has to add any oil to the engine between oil changes. It's a low mile engine, but don't assume anything.

Ask about the egt temps as mentioned. And ask about how hot it runs, if it overheats ever, if it has ever overheated.

Inspect all the universals, front axle universals, front and rear drive shaft universals. Ask him if he has had any problems with u-joint failures, perhaps due to new angles and torque. Check the king pins, those are a pain to work on or have done.

Ask him when the transmission was serviced last and how many miles are on it, that's a pricey piece of equipment. Might take it in and have it serviced before you buy it, see if there is any metal in the pan, make sure the fluid is the appropriate color, see if things are way out of adjustment. If you have to take the truck in to a shop someday to get a new transmission it can run you $4000.

If I had this truck in my possession, I'd be turning things back down more towards stock configuration. But that's just me, I like things reliable. When things start getting tweaked and messed with, it cuts down on the life of the engine and the reliability IMO. The earlier 12v's were engineering perfection. They literally outlast whatever they are installed in and the people that own them. Can be unmercifully flogged, and they will not die. They just keep going and going. It's a beautiful thing.

All this in an engine that will burn just about anything with a carbon atom attached to it. Vegetable oil, waste motor oil, hydraulic fluid, BIO diesel, two stroke oil ... there are people that run these things and never pull into a gas station to get fuel.

And ... the things will move 5 tons of weight at 70 mph and still pull down 17.5 mpg.

I have a 93' 12v with 300 thousand miles on it. Starts every single time and never falters. I never have to add any oil between changes and the oil level does not change. There is no blow by, the thing purrs like a kitten. The truck is falling apart around the engine, lol. So after tie rods, drag link, brakes, cylinders, front and rear drive shaft rebuilds, carrier bearing, steering shaft, etc.... the truck is finally worthy of the engine. "Just" have all the spring bushings to do and she'll be as sweet as honey. Real glad the king pins are good.

Off the soap box, I just love 12 valves is all. Overall, that is one sweet rig you are interested in buying. I imagine it would be a fantastic vehicle that wouldn't give you much problems.

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck

I have a 93' 12v with 300 thousand miles on it. Starts every single time and never falters. I never have to add any oil between changes and the oil level does not change. There is no blow by, the thing purrs like a kitten. The truck is falling apart around the engine, lol. So after tie rods, drag link, brakes, cylinders, front and rear drive shaft rebuilds, carrier bearing, steering shaft, etc.... the truck is finally worthy of the engine. "Just" have all the spring bushings to do and she'll be as sweet as honey. Real glad the king pins are good.

I have same situation, as do all Dodge diesel owners... You just get everything "right" with the truck, and it is time to start all over again!:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94