new suspension

Witchdoctor Oz

Adventurer
Amesz00,

That is one very nice truck; I have a complete new view on the 4 door models when they look like yours.
I would be interested to know how high to the tray deck.

Cheers
David

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Looking good Andrew.

attachment.php

engineer

Adventurer
yeah mate. its not at full flex either, the rears hardly articulating at all. but yes, just ubolted down- at 3300, the trays too short to make any kind of difference, and the amount of arsing round to make it a flexible mount just isnt worth it. besides that, we've built literally hundreds on canters and NPS's this way, never ever had an issue with the mounting. you know what they say, if it aint broke, dont fix it...

Hey Andrew, you guys don't have trouble with the body mount behind the cab? Every truck (and that about 15) that I've had with a flexi sock set up has either sheared the bolts, elongated the holes or cracked frame or chassis. I ended up with the dry friction mounts, like an ice cream cone, being my solution. With the aluminium, I've just done the spring bolt trick an it seems to have worked over about 382000klms so far.
I've seen your mountings and envied your simplicity of design. I've always said that it is easy to design something complex, but try to design it simply is more of a challenge. At Noosa Coach, we had welded straps onto the runners, and the bearers were welded ontop the runners, runners terminated at goose neck and bearers blended into a floating floor around the goose neck, the design was always flawed and destined to fail at the rigid mounts on top the goose neck. Mind you, I've seen one of them still running around Fraser Island!!
P1000491.jpg

alan

Explorer
while were all here has anyone tried the 12v -24v truck air con units available on the market? 7000btu 12v 25amp

engineer

Adventurer
while were all here has anyone tried the 12v -24v truck air con units available on the market? 7000btu 12v 25amp

Which ones Alan? the camper type or coach type?
I've done Ok with Kalina air, mike is awesome, and the stuff is indestructable with good bits, not cheap chinese stuff, spal fans, copper evaps all the good stuff.
QTK has some great stuff, I've never found steel on anything I've bought from them, all copper, ali, stainless (316, not 304)

engineer

Adventurer
When I was driving Semis from Cairns to Townsville and back, I had a veisa on the roof, and It worked well, but if it was Hot AND Humid, then you had to put ice in the water bottle, or you just got real damp. On the dry hot nights it worked well and didn't drain the battery!!!!

alan

Explorer
no 100% compressor driven, I tried uploading pics but file is to big. do you have an email address? I will send pic's

Amesz00

Adventurer
Did you have to remove the bottom step?
How high is it(she,him) to the top of the cab?

Pete, the left bottom step was bent during an offroad outing mid last year, before the big tyres, so i just took them both off- i like the look of it better, and you can just use the huge knobs on the 11.00s' sidewalls as a ladder... as for top of cab height, not exactly sure, havent measured it. guess would be around 2600-odd, they're about 2450 stock.

i did do some quick measurments last week, for my own curiosity.
bottom of bullbar- 850mm
front steps- 900
bottom of fuel tanks- 600
bottom of towbar- 600
centre towball- 685
bottom rear toolbins- 900
tray (floor height)- 1220
transfer case- 440

I would be interested to know how high to the tray deck.

around 1220mm mate.

Hey Andrew, you guys don't have trouble with the body mount behind the cab?

Chocko, never heard of a problem, but id have to ask the old bloke to be for sure.

Andrew

engineer

Adventurer
Hi Andrew, Sorry to be rude and butt in Pete....
I don't think there would be any issues, U bolts allow heaps of movement!!!!
Chock

Amesz00

Adventurer
So what shock set up you going to be using on your green beast.

At this stage it looks like we'll be making custom (taller) mounts for the front, and hope to run the rear shocks outside the chassis, shocks used will hopefully be those big remote-res air ones used by warrior for their coils.

I don't think there would be any issues, U bolts allow heaps of movement

mmm yeah a little bit i spose. wouldnt have said a great amount, the things bolted directly to the chassis. with our bodies it doesnt really matter if i flexes a bit, they've got so much metal in em... pretty sure that frame on my truck could support about 10 or 11 tonnes, its all triangles and cross-bracing out of 50x50 SHS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior