new suspension

PKDreamers

Adventurer
Hi Andrew, Sorry to be rude and butt in Pete....
I don't think there would be any issues, U bolts allow heaps of movement!!!!
Chock

No go ahead mate i love reading about all this ,sprung U bolts???
i am like a sponge but it all goes in but when i squeeze my head not much comes out :coffeedrink:

Cool Andrew those shocks look the go, dont forget to post sum pics of them.

engineer

Adventurer
They are great Pete, the u bolt goes right around the chassis And Runner (Runners are the bit of the frame that RUN along the length or north south, Bearers sit across east west. So when Andrews Dad mounts the frame onto the chassis, it is held by U bolts. Hans is one of the most switched on builders in the country. One of the very few to have been privileged to own a Pinz Gauer 6x6.... etc etc

Amesz00

Adventurer
What do you use for the spacer between the runners and the chassis rail?

on most canters it is 75x50x2 RHS. mine is 50mm higher than normal so it has a 50x50 welded on top.

No go ahead mate i love reading about all this ,sprung U bolts???

nah mate, just humble, simple ubolts like what bolts your springs to the axle.

Hans is one of the most switched on builders in the country.

Gee mate, i better not tell him you said that, he'll get a big head...
BTW from what hes told me that pinzgauer was pretty much the ants pants of wheeled offroad machines. he reckons it would get to top gear, 75km/h across spinifex plains in the gibson desert- try doin that in anything else, you'll have broken springs, broken axles, cracked chassis, etc etc...

PKDreamers

Adventurer
[
nah mate, just humble, simple ubolts like what bolts your springs to the axle.

Thanks for that and you have no problems ?

We are planning a build next year well we hope to built a body for our truck then anyway.
And more info the better.
:coffee:

Amesz00

Adventurer
Thanks for that and you have no problems ?

nah mate, never. gotta make sure the body you build can take the force of the chassis twist though.

Back to springs and things.
Well now that the fronts are pretty sorted, nice and soft, my attention has been shifted to the back end. Even without the helper pack, because the springs have been arched so high, they are rather stiff, so i have been thinking of a way to make the rear softer/longer travel, without the pain of moving crossmembers, etc for longer leaves.
Ive come up with one way which should work a treat. Run airbags under the chassis and take out some/most of the leaves, as well as somehow modify the shackles to provide ALOT of down-travel. some quick measurements yesterday indicate a nominal height of 215mm from axle-chassis. some quick calculations + a peek at the firestone website show that i can get a 16" airbag in there, giving almost 3ft of wheel travel. boo yah!

engineer

Adventurer
You'd be better off using the front spring mount and making a tapered Z bar with a 2 bag system. Making a 4 bag system is painful with trailing arms, panhard rods etc etc.
Thomas make a decent compressor, but you MUST oil the filter at least once per day, or get a feed off the engine breather. Must sustain 8 bar from memory....

fgcrazy

No to Thomas

Dont buy a Thomas supa pump air comppresor i have one paid $1495 had nothing but dramas with it and the after service is crap. had it 2 yrs and its been in the shop for 18 months and on the truck for 4 months cheers tony

engineer

Adventurer
Hi Tony,
Did you oil the Air intake filter Daily? Mine went for 3 years and ******** itself, didn't like swimming.....
Chock

Amesz00

Adventurer
You'd be better off using the front spring mount and making a tapered Z bar with a 2 bag system. Making a 4 bag system is painful with trailing arms, panhard rods etc etc.

chocko,
are you suggesting take out the leaves completely?
hmm, i was just thinking of taking out some and supplementing with bags. however no leaves would be much more conducive to epic wheel travel. A tapered Z bar? never heard of it to be honest. im all ears...

engineer

Adventurer
Something like this....
comfort_air_lg.gif

Bit of engineering involved, but in horrible conditions where you need maximum articulation...... disconnect the equaliser valve and play hard!!!

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
comfort_air_lg.gif

Andrew, I saw one of your dads motorhomes camped near here last week with a very similar setup to this. The guy must have got it done somewhere down south.

alan

Explorer
We have 1hp 100lpm compressors that work well a lot of road side service vans use them down here in vic.

Dont buy a Thomas supa pump air comppresor i have one paid $1495 had nothing but dramas with it and the after service is crap. had it 2 yrs and its been in the shop for 18 months and on the truck for 4 months cheers tony

fgcrazy

We have 1hp 100lpm compressors that work well a lot of road side service vans use them down here in vic.

Is it a Thomas supa pump. If so i must of just got a lemon the local opposite lock guy just cant belive it. Hes tried every thing on it and just cant explain it. Just my luck eh Tony

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94