Overlanding with k-9 companions.

rroadkilll

Needs a LIFE!
Just finished a 10 hour, round trip, trip to my moms for the weekend...

I let them out once or twice...

They loved the ride home. And NOT having the puppy around!

On our way to Nana's...
688518c26b7d7372ccbe7c8472f80dbe.jpg

On the way home after a 24 hour visit...
fa5451e7b15e3f11b659f4efc74be759.jpg

sent from the mini computer in my pocket

Pilotamis

Observer
One thing I haven't seen addressed is dogs in Grizzly country. Heading out on a 12 week trip, most of which will be in grizzly territory. BC, Yukon, NWT and Alaska. Any recommendations? Also does anyone use a bug deterrent that they make themselves? We've had great luck with a flea and tick repellent that she made herself. When we found the puppy in the jungle we pulled over 30 ticks out of her ears and she was infested with fleas. Now she spends all day in the jungle while we're at work and haven't had to pull one off again.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Our eldest is well travelled, Venezuela-Houston-Colorado-California-Oman-Qatar-Colombia and now in the UK....

Things we'd always bring

Ruf wear boots for rocky trails and desert thorns, cost more but stay on...and have a decent fit.

Ruf wear Jacket- we had a cordura one and we have a down one now , keeps the rain off, keeps him toasty warm when required

Ruff wear doggy back pack....he can carry his own food and water on a day hike, even carrying food back from the shop to wherever you parked. Has a handle for helping over rough terrain

Water- never have enough - he usually gets the drinks cooler water too, nice and cool for a hot dog.

Foldup dogs bowls.....don't rattle, use for water and or food, roll up into his backpack.

We carry additions to our first aid kit too, larger tweezers, animal antibiotic type healing cream, razor, steristrips and a good set of tweezers for ticks and thorns.

Up to date vaccinations, and awareness to local issues in each country or location, took him a while to understand running through brush after rabbits in Venezuela and Houston, to running around spiny bushes in Colorado western slope and stopping in time for cliffs...

Sleeping wise, he stays in with us, he tended to roam around and be restless when left outside.

Sleeping space in the truck, we have a harness too which has a seat belt type connection, so he's restrained in case of an accident.

Our dogs part of the family, and sadly after 12 years of devotion he's coming to the end of his life, I think he had his last trip over easter, he can't walk down stairs or even get 2 houses down the road without falling over
and it will soon become time to say goodbye.

1-2 years old dug out canoe, rio morichal venezuela
EarsFlying.jpg

Bird spotting in Houston
Theresbirdsinthistreedad.jpg

bunny hunting in Grand Junction
DSC_0682.jpg

four paws up in powder on Grand mesa CO
DSC_0232-1.jpg

Oman
007.jpg

Off roading in Colombia with his buddy Gunther
DSCN5299_zps9a4337f0.jpg

LilPoppa

Adventurer
It's not uncommon for dogs to wander off, have an encounter with a bear, and then lead the bear back to its owners. When I'm hiking with my dog I try keep her in eye-sight as much as possible, and make a lot noise to let the bears know we're there (I yell, "Eh-Yo," every few minutes). Most bears will bugger off when they hear you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94