Sleeper cab project trailer camper

rezdiver

Adventurer
so i though i would add my project that just landed in my yard. is an all aluminium sleeper cab from a 5 ton truck. 90 inches long, 68 inches tall and 41 inches wide. nice leeping area and lots of storage below. and very light. this thing is well constructed.
I am estimating it weights around 350-400 pounds.
the original plan was to cut it up and set it inside my canadian 101 1/4ton trailer, but after looking at it, i am just going to bolt an axle under it so it sits length wise, build a tongue and bobs your uncle. i have to patch the big hole up on the side that was mated to the truck cab but i will be putting in a window there anyways.

I will be towing this with my Iltis, this is the truck that towed all your canadian 1/4t 101 trailers you all are building.

Attachments

• Iltis sept 2010.JPG
    Iltis sept 2010.JPG
    358.2 KB · Views: 833
  • sleeper cab.JPG
    sleeper cab.JPG
    258.9 KB · Views: 105
  • sleeper cab 2.JPG
    sleeper cab 2.JPG
    265.4 KB · Views: 91
  • sleeper cab 3.JPG
    sleeper cab 3.JPG
    293 KB · Views: 163
  • sleeper cab 4.JPG
    sleeper cab 4.JPG
    267.6 KB · Views: 83
  • sleeper cab 5.JPG
    sleeper cab 5.JPG
    246.9 KB · Views: 66
  • wind break.JPG
    wind break.JPG
    369.7 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

PAToyota

Adventurer
There is a guy on Pirate in the tow rigs and trailers section that has done a few of these. Search "sleeper" in that section and I'm sure that you'll find them.

The ones that he has done has put them on the front of a flatbed trailer.

rezdiver

Adventurer
I saw those nice way to put them on the flatbed, his are a lot wider than mine, I was searching for hours last night.
I want to bolt this lengthwise on an axle so the door is at the back, my truck is very narrow, and i want the trailer axle to track the same.
i think my tires are at 55 inches outside to outside.

rezdiver

Adventurer
Looks good to me. Whats the name of the truck any good information links on them?

The truck is a VW Iltis and made for the canadian military by bombardier. Lots of info on the web, just google it. if you have any specific questions i will try my best to answer you. the links given in the last couple of posts are a good starting point for basic info.

rezdiver

Adventurer
so i am finally getting some time for this thing. but i am debating on how to mount it.

the original plan was to put an axle under it and tow it as it is. now i am thinking since i already have a CDN 1/4t trailer, maybe i should just cut off the bottom section where the storage is and just mount the top section on top of my existing trailer.

by the time i have mounted the axle and suspension i will be nearly the same height as cutting out the storage space underneath this thing and putting it on top of my trailer with an overall height of around 85 inches. and i will still have the space in the trailer under the lid to store gear instead of the storage compartments on this thing.

what do you think?

Attachments

• tailgate aquadyne 005.jpg
    tailgate aquadyne 005.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

daninghram

Adventurer
That is a great find I would put it on it's own flatbed trailer. It would be really cool with a popup tent trailer bed folding out of the hole on the side.

rezdiver

Adventurer
that hole in the side will be an entrance to another foldout section i will be adding which will store and sleep the kids and we get the main compartment, thought of putting the kids in the storage below but the wife wasnt too happy.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94